• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator fan doesn't shut off (help please)

maxaud

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. I just purchased a '98 XJ a couple days ago for $3100. I used to own an '84 XJ a while back but sold it to a friend. Anyways, I did some searching and couldn't find what my problem may be.
When I shut the Jeep off, the radiator fan stays on for hours just blowing away. The XJ has the Police/DOT package so it has the "ext: idle" switch but it is turned off. The temperature never reaches the halfway mark, and usually stays around 1/4 while driving. Why would my radiator fan be staying on? I don't want it to run down my battery so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, take care.
Dustin

pull the relay, just to stop it from drining the battery.
I would replace it with a known functioning unit, it's possible the relay has gotten itsel stuck.
If a new relay doesn't fix it then you need to figure out why the relay is getting voltage.

definately sounds like the relay has had it. if it works as normal the next time you drive it, feel lucky, but still get a replacement relay.

btw, Welcome to NAXJA! :)

thanks for the help guys. Seems like a lot nicer atmosphere then some of the biased Toyota truck forums out there that I had joined for my Toyota pickup. Anyone have a Celica All-trac (awd turbo Celica)? and is a member of alltrac.net? I've been a member over there for while.

You said it never warms up past the 1/4 mark, so that means, if your guage is reading properly, and the engine really is running at 1/4 normal operating temp., you're running really rich...not good. Even though it is only reading 1.4 the way, does your engine and everything seem nice and hot after driving it around?

while driving it goes down to 1/4ish and when stop'd at a light it goes up to almost half the guage (~210 I think). Heater works good, and AC works good.

you might have a stuck open thermostat. See if you can't get a goos temperature reading with an infrared temp gun, that way you can verify that the guage is working.
Also, with the engine cold start it, and go pace your hand on the upper radiator hose. Be cautious of the fan. Squeeze the hose, it shouldn't have any pressure in it when the motor is cold. As the motor heats up you should feel the hose get hot quickly, that's when the thermostat opens. If it warms up gradually then your t-stat is stuck open.

your temp. sensor on radiator could be bad. closed circut. Test for continuity. GOOD LUCK
sensor located driver side of radiator

Back