• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Cap question

Ok, looked at my reciept and I have the right one listed for my jeep. And as I recall I checked the impellers when I installed it, they were the same.

I did just notice a crack on my exhaust manifold. I might just throw a head gasket and a new exhaust manifold at this thing, it is really the only other thing that I haven't tried and with 198,000 miles on the clock there is a good chance that it is about time.

Well, I just figured it wouldn't be a bad idea since the exhaust manifold looks tore up anyways. maybe I could try runing a few beads on the exhaust manifold and wrap it real good and see if that helps.

I think I might try the hood spacer idea on the back of the hood for a few days and see what that does for me.

I know this seems like I am just shooting in the dark but at this point I don't know what else to try.

Ok just got a wild hair up my butt and decided to go out and burp it one more time. I jacked the rear end up as high as I could and pulled the coolant temp sending unit at the back of the head, it took about 2 to 3 minute before any coolant ran out. Talk about a major air bubble. Then I jacked up the drivers side front and pulled the radiator cap and jiggle hoses and got more air out.
I hope this helps or better yet cures my problem. Will report back tomorrow with the results.

And I just want to say thanks for the suggestions and help thus far. Hopefully this does it.

Ok so I burped the system 2 more times and guess what? A ton more air was in there. Now my Jeep runs a cool 195. The thermostat opens and it drops to about 150ish and then rises back to 195ish and the cycle begins again, just like it is supposed to. And here I was talking about changing head gaskets and burning this mother down.

Well thanks for the help fellas, looks like even though I am running an open system burping it is still necessary. The temp sender on the back of the head did the trick and it only took like 5 tries.:cheers:

Back