• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race crash at Reno Air Race

Thanks for the PopMech link; very interesting, and I
have to agree with their hypothesis. I saw freeze frame
pics of the crash and it shows to me a blacked-out pilot
slumped over the controls.

Probably the ultimate cause of the crash will be trim-tab flutter.

Pretty good article. With the speeds that plane runs at, I am kinda surprised it used a trim tab at all. I would have thought it may have gone more towards a servo on the control surface. Sudden loss of trim would for sure ruin your whole day.

Instantaneous accelerations are pretty interesting. Your body can actually sustain quite a few for a very short period of time with no effect. Your brain carries about 3-5 seconds worth of oxygen in it at any given time.

2-3 G's is easy, maybe a little squeezing in your legs to maintain pressure
4-5 G's gets a lot tougher, going with a full g-strain and special breathing, but manageable.

anything more and you need a G-suit, which I do not think any of these guys wear. They just don't need it. I don't think it would have helped this pilot anyway. It sounds like it was such a rapid onset that even with good posture it would have been too much to catch up to with a great g-strain.

I have worked through 6 quite a bit, 7-8 occasionally, and 9 a few times. High G is not fun, and you have to be prepared for it, with no warning all you can do is hang on and try to maintain sight.

There is a recent Popular Mechanics article on the aircraft,.. ..,It was the most radically modified P-51 to date. They were running a cooling system that had a storage tank behind the pilot and was refilled after every flight.

See if you can find the records for a racer called "Miss Ashley II" It was a modified P-51 fuselage design(mostly hand made), a modified, clipped Lear jet wing, modified, clipped Lear horizontal stab. 'Mounted a Rolls Royce Griffon with counter-rotating props.

Here's another article for anyone not familiar with aerodynamics and the function of a trim tab:
http://macsblog.com/2011/09/why-the-trim-tab-on-a-racer-matters-so-much/
Goes into a little more ditail about how failure can cause loss of control.

Just read the Pop. Mech. article. I knew "Miss Ashley II" came apart one year. 'Didn't know they'd determined a trim tab issue on that accident.

Back