• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R-134 Conversion - Looking for opinions

Not the right way to do it

Hi,

When I bought my 88 Chief the AC was inop. A trip to WalMart and about 30 bucks was what it cost to convert it over. The R12 had already leaked out log ago and I just added the contents of the new kit. No flush or draining. I know it's not the "right" way but two years later (two hot summers) it's still cooling just fine. It still leaked a little so I bought some of the "leak stop" formula and that seems to be holding just fine.

Just thought you might be interested to hear another R134 conversion story. (BTW my system was empty of R12 when I added the 134 so the EPA stuff really didn't matter, if you still have some R12 then it would be illegal to simply open up a valve and dump it)

I am about a 3 on a mechanic scale of 1-10 so take my experience for what it's worth ;)

ok..ok..i'm a mechanic at dodge here for 23 yrs..there is a drop in replacement freon available called freeze-12, and ya don't have to do anything...and it's still good and cold....134a is alot different, ya gotta reduce the amount of freon in the system by 15%or so...the oils are not compatible with each other...if you have a copper or brass condenser it will not be as cold as if ya have a aluminum condenser..it gets rid of the heat better and your hi-side press will not climb as high...so..thats something to think about guys.....thanks..Len

txlen said:
ok..ok..i'm a mechanic at dodge here for 23 yrs..there is a drop in replacement freon available called freeze-12, and ya don't have to do anything...and it's still good and cold....134a is alot different, ya gotta reduce the amount of freon in the system by 15%or so...the oils are not compatible with each other...if you have a copper or brass condenser it will not be as cold as if ya have a aluminum condenser..it gets rid of the heat better and your hi-side press will not climb as high...so..thats something to think about guys.....thanks..Len

THANK YOU!!!!.........I knew someone would pipe up about the freeze-12. From what I remember it is a blend of 12 and 134 and does work wonders as a drop in replacement. I did it on an 85 ford 1 ton a few years ago and the thing still cools very good. I didnt want to say anything about it before because i couldnt remember all the ins and outs of it as txlen described.

Mike

lost about 6 degrees of cooling in my '88XJ when changing drier and O rings plus putting in Walmart retro 134. Easy job. Cheaper if it leaks. I'll live with 44 degrees coming out my vents vs 38!

Back