• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick,Easy,Free Nuetral Safety Switch Fix

Tony,
I think it was very helpful that you're atleast showing which two pins to jumper...whether this is a fix or a bypass it works, people can use it how they want to. Sorry to derail any of this thread but can you tell me where you got your blue spark plug wires? I've been looking for a set forever. Thanks for the info!
-Collin

I don't recommend defeating safety features, the same as I don't recommend loaning your lifted or locked XJ to your Mom/GF/Sister/Brother or DA friend--just another way to end someone's day badly.

LMAO i did this once and they got down the street, made the turn and came right back and said never mind LMAO

Tony,
I think it was very helpful that you're atleast showing which two pins to jumper...whether this is a fix or a bypass it works, people can use it how they want to. Sorry to derail any of this thread but can you tell me where you got your blue spark plug wires? I've been looking for a set forever. Thanks for the info!
-Collin

i have direct fit Taylor spark plug wires that are blue. IIRC, they are 8mm and i have had them on my 89 for 6-7 years now. physical condition of the wires and boots are still in good shape while still reading low resistence the last time i put a meter to them this summer.

Also available Summit brand cap/rotor/wire kit all blue for ~$40 (SUM-867625CR) I installed about 8 months ago.

How is defeating the neutral safety switch on an automatic transmission any more dangerous than most manual transmission vehicles that you can crank over with it engaged in a gear?

How is defeating the neutral safety switch on an automatic transmission any more dangerous than most manual transmission vehicles that you can crank over with it engaged in a gear?

yes its the same thing, but new safelty regulations on new cars with a manual trans wont allow the engine to crank over without the clutch pushed in, same concept as the NSS.

the NSS is a safelty feature, its not needed until someone starts the car incorrectly and runs someone over. you may not need an nss, but some people do. mistakes are made, even by the most experienced of people.

So why not just splice into the wires and set up a switch on the dashboard for this? Safe and convenient, no?

You could even use a momentary on-off toggle/rocker so it required some thought to start 'er up and the switch could not be left in the "on" position. Such a switch could also be used as an anti-theft measure if wired a little differently.

Weren't the Mopar Performance ignition wires blue as well?

yes its the same thing, but new safelty regulations on new cars with a manual trans wont allow the engine to crank over without the clutch pushed in, same concept as the NSS.

the NSS is a safelty feature, its not needed until someone starts the car incorrectly and runs someone over. you may not need an nss, but some people do. mistakes are made, even by the most experienced of people.

I was just curious. My '99 Jeep is the newest vehicle I own. People sort of were flipping about about it so I thought I'd ask. I'd like to see these same people ride my fixed gear bicycle or drive my other cars or motorcycles. The switches, when they fail, present as just extra junk that vehicles don't need. On my former '94 Volvo 850 this same switch would go bad and the whole transmission would quit working right because it didn't know what gear you were in (even though you physically shifted it into drive) and would default to running only in 3rd gear until you fixed the switch.

I'm of the opinion that if a guy is dumb enough to start the vehicle in drive he's dumb enough to stick his hand in the cooling fan or foot under a rolling tire. So defeating this switch doesn't seem like the end of the world to me in terms of keeping 'the good ones' alive. If you're responsible enough to be trusted to turn the steering wheel in the right direction and not run into traffic head on, I think you should be expected to not start a vehicle when it's shifted into drive. I think it's more important to have your foot (or right hand) on the brake of any vehicle you're engaging a starter on in terms of a Mr. Safety lesson.

I just honestly had no idea if it was harmful to the transmission moreso than a manual transmission or what the big hubub was about. Everything else I own has a manual transmission and they'll happily jump right through the back of the garage wall if you don't have your foot on the clutch or be sitting in neutral when you crank the starter.

Carry on :laugh:

like the one on my TJ? Yeah, bypassed that with a 20A fuse in the "trans" slot on the fuseblock......

no way to crawl your way out of a stuck with the starter otherwise :wave1:

Jeff

Back