• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on welding my chrysler 8.25 on 33's

Until rogersjeep (on the first page)posted, i want to know if A SINGLE ONE OF YOU has ever owned or even driven a rig with a welded rear axle?? Comments a bout huge turning radiuses and 1k mile tire wear lead me to beleive you all have in fact, not........

dont let people that dont know convince you out of it if you want to.

I drive a welded rear MJ on 33s every day. Not technically my DD, but i like to drive it, so i do a lot. Will turn every bit as sharp as my stock 99 XJ in a parking lot, and is all but unnoticable going around corners on the road. I will say i wish it didnt chirp so loud, as it draws a ton of attention driving around parking lots. Also it will wear out tires, but i would say it MAY cut life in half, you arent going to wear them out in 1-2-5k miles.

awspence said:
Until rogersjeep (on the first page)posted, i want to know if A SINGLE ONE OF YOU has ever owned or even driven a rig with a welded rear axle?? Comments a bout huge turning radiuses and 1k mile tire wear lead me to beleive you all have in fact, not........

I drive a welded rear MJ on 33s every day. Not technically my DD, but i like to drive it, so i do a lot. Will turn every bit as sharp as my stock 99 XJ in a parking lot, and is all but unnoticable going around corners on the road. I will say i wish it didnt chirp so loud, as it draws a ton of attention driving around parking lots. Also it will wear out tires, but i would say it MAY cut life in half, you arent going to wear them out in 1-2-5k miles.
who said anything about 1k tire wear? EDIT: i c where you got that from, i will agree you will get more then 1k out of your tires.

additionally i HAVE driven a welded rear end and it was horrible on a DD, tires went fast and ultimatly he ended up swapping the rear axle due to the major pain it has caused him.

-Kyle

awspence- i was saying he could get one for about 50 to 100 more than the 225 he said he could replace his axle for when he breaks his

awspence said:

I had a 1973 Ford F100 that had the rear end "lincoln" locked. It was terrible to drive on pavement, ate chunks out of the tires going around corners, and chewed up u-joints like a cow chews it's cud. Did I care? Not really, it was a farm truck that got the job done.

Now given the driving style that the OP stated he had, a lincoln locked rear is definitely not the best way to go. If he is going through rear axles as often as he says he is, then one of two things needs to happen. He either needs to stop driving like an ass-hatted tard, or he needs to upgrade to something stronger than an 8.25. If he decides to weld his spiders, then he is only going to break things faster then he already has.

One last note: Punctuation is your friend.

For those of you with lockers in the rear how often do you coast around a corner?
My understanding of a locker is that when you accelarate it locks. Most of the corners i drive around im usually giving it a little gas so if i hade a rear locker it would be locked (thus wearing my tires out in just about 1k miles right).

when i welded my rear up it was a temp. repair till i got the money to find and build my 8.8 (money well spent).
I only drove it that way for about 3 months till i broke the axle and luckely had the 8.8 ready.
The main reason it broke was the welds had started to break giving the spiders a little play. Had i welded them to the case it would have held up a lot better.

rogersjeep said:
By the way if you remove the carrier from the housing you had better know how to reset up your gears.
Really? You wanna double check that.

I have to say get a lunch box locker. The welds inside the diff will eventually crack and fail. Usually they just fail (crack developes around the weld) and remain wedged in there effectively keeping everything from moving and not causing too much harm. Sometimes, they fail and that leads to severe damage or what some refer to grenading. That could and has caused some peoples axles to lock up instantly and violently. One might consider avoiding this mod if they considered what might happen when such a welded axle does this while at highway speeds. Lunch box lockers are designed to operate at highway speeds and give you the same traction as any spool or welded diff. Lockers won't lock up unless you give them more than normal throttle input or are turning up hills or are hauling a heavy trailer. They really don't lock up that much under normal driving.

hope this helps, :roll:
Jeeps

If you weld it up, and are worried about the welds breaking, you haven't put enough weld into it. Put as much rod into it as you can. Fill the teeth, fuse the spiders together.

At the worst you'll destroy the axle and be right back to where you are now. And I suppose it will wear your tires down faster.

rogersjeep said:
My understanding of a locker is that when you accelarate it locks.
thats a totally false statement
a locker(ex:ECTED) can be truned on and off form locke dto unlocked
a posi(ex:detriot locker) send power to both wheels at all times but distributes it so the won't break traction when turning on pavement but if u slam the trottle it'll lock up and break both free

MTBracer367 said:
thats a totally false statement
a locker(ex:ECTED) can be truned on and off form locke dto unlocked
a posi(ex:detriot locker) send power to both wheels at all times but distributes it so the won't break traction when turning on pavement but if u slam the trottle it'll lock up and break both free
nitpicking a bit here.

A selectible locker like the ected/arb/etc can be switched on and off while locking both shafts together.

An auto locker (lunchbox locker) will automatically lock both shafts and you lose the ability to switch them on or off.

A posi is how you described it.

-Kyle

when talking about lincoln lockers why would you even try to bring up the high dollar stuff. if he doesnt want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars on a lunchbox then why would 7-8 plus install be in the descussion?

i have a 91 xj with a 8.25 with it welded up and have put it thru some harsh run.s and have had no problem,s .i drive it every day .drove it in plenty of rain with no problems.had it welded up by a off road shop for 75$.goes good.

i just welded my 8.25 up last weekend and ive got 35's on my jeep, its springbreak for me right now so ive been wheeling literally every night, and not any mickey mouse bullshit trails either. i love it, i had several teeth broken off my spider gears too, welded it up and fixed that problem. the difference is like day and night. i do have alot of wheel chirp on from the two rear tires when im turning, but oh well, life could be a lot worse right? id say go ahead and do it, specially if ur spidergears are about gone. but sure you have someone welding it that knows exactly what their doing.

Do any of you retards know what spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is? Most of the posts in this thread look like somebody barfed up a boggle game.

mtmike said:
Do any of you retards know what spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is? Most of the posts in this thread look like somebody barfed up a boggle game.
Funny, that's what a lot of the tech looks like too.

Back