• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Autozone ball joint tool?

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully I can get some quick responses so I can get this done today! I have everything apart and I'm ready to press out the ball joints. My question is on the upper ball joint what did you use on the bottom of the joint to press it out? I see you can use the medium sleeve on top to press into but the smaller sleeve isn't small enough to press on. Am I missing something here. I have read lots of posts that they did it using the Autozone tool but I can't rap my head around this. This is my first time ever messing with ball joints but I am mechanically inclined. I also read MadXJ's article but he used a jeep specific adapter which made it easier but I have read it can be done this way also! Thanks for any responses!

Nevermind I found a real good video on youtube showing how its done on a cherokee. I did have another question cause it scared me, is it typical for those things when your wrenching down on them just all the sudden let loose with a really loud bang? I though I broke the tool!

They can let loose rather suddenly.

One thing you might consider it to tighten down gently, and smack the side of the cast iron at 90 degrees lightly with a hammer. This can help to break the taper free without the bang.

They can let loose rather suddenly.

One thing you might consider it to tighten down gently, and smack the side of the cast iron at 90 degrees lightly with a hammer. This can help to break the taper free without the bang.

That's what I did and while smacking with the hammer it let go with a deathly bang.

Nevermind I found a real good video on youtube showing how its done on a cherokee. I did have another question cause it scared me, is it typical for those things when your wrenching down on them just all the sudden let loose with a really loud bang? I though I broke the tool!

Please post a link to the video you used. thanks.

Back