• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question, vibrations while braking and almost stopped.

mhopton

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to diagnose a vibration that occurs and is felt in the last 15-20' before stopping. I'm at 70% + on the rear drums, I had a front pad that was binding on the knuckle slider and had begun to wear at an angle. So, I went ahead and replaced the front rotors and pads just to eliminate that and cleaned up the knuckles.

But, still have the vibration/grumble for the last 10-20' before stopping.

Any ideas? Tires are brand new. I've read a lot about driveline vibration but nothing talks about this kind of vibe in the last few feet of a stop.

99 daily driver, aw4, 4x4, 231, 110k.

thanks

When coming to a stop in a safe area, apply the parking brake while holding the button in. If you still have the vibes, your problem is in the rear. If not, it's in the front.

Try checking the front end out. Make sure all the control arm bushings are good. I've found bad upper bushings cause a low frequency vibration just before you stop.

Good advice. Actually, as the pads have bedded in to the new rotors, the vibs seem to have lessened to some degree. I did put on the parking brake and the rears were nice and smooth - they need to be adjusted a tad, but they're smooth.

I think I've got a worn pinion bearing - I know the pinion seal is bad as it's damp around the yoke. I just changed the diff fluid last week and the stuff that came out was nasty and, maybe it was a bit low but not too bad. I'm gonna pull the front driveshaft off today and see how it sounds. When I drop into 4hi, it groans like a beyotch.

thanks for the tips, I'll report back.

Did you have the same vibration before you replaced the rotor and before you replaced the tires?

If you did, it is likely that the rear drums are out of round. You could jack up the rear (good stands needed), adjust out the brakes manually until they bind up pretty good, then back them off until you can turn them. You may tell while turning them, that they rub unevenly.

Back