• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for anyone who has replaced their pre-cats (00-01 Cherokees only!)

I replaced the pre-cats in my 2000. I was getting a cat inefficiency code and decided to replace the pre-cats and O2 sensors at the same time. I used NTK sensors (Which are OE and recommended) and the Walker pre-cats. I don't see a problem with the Walker part. The welds weren't the prettiest in the world, but it was still very sturdy and flows fine. I didn't have any issues bolting them up, the hardest part was getting the old rusty ones off. I didn't feel like shelling out the money for the Magnaflows, and these work just fine. I have almost 30k miles on them now with no issues and passed emissions twice with flying colors.

I replaced the pre-cats in my 2000. I was getting a cat inefficiency code and decided to replace the pre-cats and O2 sensors at the same time. I used NTK sensors (Which are OE and recommended) and the Walker pre-cats. I don't see a problem with the Walker part. The welds weren't the prettiest in the world, but it was still very sturdy and flows fine. I didn't have any issues bolting them up, the hardest part was getting the old rusty ones off. I didn't feel like shelling out the money for the Magnaflows, and these work just fine. I have almost 30k miles on them now with no issues and passed emissions twice with flying colors.

That's good to hear. Some guy was saying that the O2 bungs didn't even line up correctly at all on the Walker cats so that the O2 sensors were hitting the block or something and they were almost impossible to get in. I'm not 100% sure what he was talking about but he made them out to sound like they were an extremely poor fitting part.

I looked into this for my 2001 (pre-cat elimination), and determined that the 2000/2001 ECU wiring harnesses "share" bank 1 wiring for the Federal emissions packages.

Basically, track down a 2000 Federal emissions 4.0 ECU and get some O2 sensor harness extensions to reach the now-downstream sensors, plugged into their respective bank 1 connectors (bank 2 connectors will be unused).

Not exactly legal, but the easiest way by far to eliminate them without dropping money on simulators.

Back