• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question for anybody running an 8.25 with a detroit

wingnut3k

NAXJA Forum User
how do you get the cross pin out? i have it loose but cant get it over the ring gear, its not lacking much to get over it but it sure doesn't want to come...anything else i should know about pulling the axle shafts?

well damn, glad to know i'm not alone but there has to be a better solution than grinding the teeth or removing the ring gear...but it looks like i might be bringing out the dremel:eek: got to get this done to convert to disc...that should have been designed better imo...thanks for the link

My guess is that you probabaly have 4.56's or close to that with the thicker gear. Mine are ground and it causes no issues. I have seen alot of 8.25 like this. Slide the cross pin out both directions and figure out where it hits the teeth and which side will require grinding the least amount from those teeth.

yep got 4.56s didn't think about the thicker ring gear causing it...but i took the dremel to it and got it out, got some pics if yall want...doubt i'll have any issues, hardly got into where the pinion contacts it

Slide the cross pin out until you can rotate it 180* then it should slide past the ring gear. It seems strange the solution is so simple but I struggled with it for a bit before I figured it out.

mine didn't have enough room to rotate

here you can see what i was working with
IMG_0079.jpg

here's the teeth after being ground down(it looks like i took more off than i did)
IMG_0081.jpg

and here's the cross pin
IMG_0080.jpg

Before installing my cross pin, my ring gear's inner teeth were ground down enough for install/removing of the pin.

this isn't specific to 8.25 detroits. it's all 8.25's with 4.56 or 4.88's. it's just the nature of the beast. grind the tooth and forget about it.

it's all 8.25's with 4.56 or 4.88's. it's just the nature of the beast. grind the tooth and forget about it.

that it is.

Those who play with 8.25's know this, by the next time around you plan accordingly. if youre really good, when you mount the ring gear to the carrier/locker, you make sure you line it up so that the crosspin falls between two teeth. if youre not that lucky to get it to work, the next best thing is to line it up so that only one tooth will have to be ground down.

Those who play with 8.25's know this, by the next time around you plan accordingly. if youre really good, when you mount the ring gear to the carrier/locker, you make sure you line it up so that the crosspin falls between two teeth. if youre not that lucky to get it to work, the next best thing is to line it up so that only one tooth will have to be ground down.
in my experience, you always have to grind at least 1 tooth...

Back