• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about LED headlights

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to upgrade the headlights on the wife's JK (and probably my XJ too) and I want to do LEDs but have a concern. My concern is that they won't put out enough ambient heat to keep snow and ice from building up on the lenses. I've had a few occasions where even my100w, H4s in my XJ have got loaded up with snow and ice and wonder if LEDs will be better, the same, or worse.

Having seen it with pods and light bars you are 100% correct. Unless you buy a heated set they are going to freeze up for sure.

Last edited:
I have TruckLites in my JK. I got them before they offered them with heaters. They don't always ice over but I would like to have the heated version for the few days they do. Other than that, they're great.

Yep, unfortunately ones that I would deem usable on road, are going to set you back a pretty penny.

Those that shouldn't be on the road, are the cheap ones you'll find on Amazon.

As someone who loves and does LED stuff (as you know), I'll be going with Hella E-code housings, Hella 90/100W bulbs, and a harness on the Mild XJ.

Would I like some heated Truck Lites? Yep.

Am I willing to pay that much for them? ****in' nope! :laugh:

I just installed the High Beam Offroad lights, it's supposed to snow tomorrow and the wife is driving the XJ so I'll post up with the verdict ASAP. :cheers:

I see they say these are DOT approved.

Is there a DOT stamp on them somewhere?

I'm leary of that being true without an actual DOT stamp/number on them.

I apologize for the delay! There is a DOT stamp on them right in the middle, very easy to see. :cheers:

Two nights ago we drove 1 1/2 hours in blizzard single digit conditions at no more than 30-40 MPH (very poor conditions) and there was NO freezing up on the High Beam Offroad headlights. Last night we drove 1 hour at 30-70 MPH in single digit conditions with only existing precipitation, when we got home there was only a slight "icy" film over the headlights, totally normal.

The pics suck, they are the high beams.

High%20Beam%20Offroad%20Headlights%205_zpskl8xtfu5.jpg

High%20Beam%20Offroad%20Headlights%204_zpspgaz7d7h.jpg

Two nights ago we drove 1 1/2 hours in blizzard single digit conditions at no more than 30-40 MPH (very poor conditions) and there was NO freezing up on the High Beam Offroad headlights. Last night we drove 1 hour at 30-70 MPH in single digit conditions with only existing precipitation, when we got home there was only a slight "icy" film over the headlights, totally normal.

Very good to know, thank you sir. :thumbup:

I have had led bulbs for my Tacoma housings for a few months. Bright as shit. No ice.

Back