• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about big bear

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
well heres the deal. ive never really taken my jeep on trails persay, the only wheeling ive done is in the desert - deep soft sand and big dunes. im just wondering what to expect out there in big bear. im coming of course because i want to take my jeep everywhere she can go, im just wondering how hairy its going to be. im unlocked, un-railed, and un-skidded, mainly beacause till now i just didnt need that stuff and i cant afford recovery points right now because of my jeep being broken into last week. plus ive got fiberglass fenders on my rig that i dont particularly want to destroy :D

im just looking for a little heads up on what to expect from those who know, thats all

thanks folks!
-mike

I'm sure there will be trails that can accomidate you. I am going to scout out a new trail up there (An exclusive one as well!) that is even stocker friendly. With your setup I woudln't go much beyond the moderate trails and would be prepared to pick up rocker panel damage (Although I've ran up there plenty in the old days without damaging them).

Sequoia

thats what i figured, im lifted 4" on 32's so we'll see i guess just keep an eye on me dont let me get too ballsy when i start having fun :D

if you had rocker protection youd be fine, without just be a bit careful, ive wheeled every trail in big bear just about, with 31s and 4.5, with skids,

I ran many trails in BB with my 3" lift on 31's with no lockers, BUT, I do have rock rails, gast tank and T-case skids, as well as tow points.

If at all possible, I would highly recommend getting some rock rails before the event, even at 4.5". UNLESS, you plan on doing scenic runsm which are beautiful and fun.

Big Bear is my favorite place to wheel because of the scenery and different trails. Sequioa can tell you more about ways around the "hard stuff" He would show-up at a point in the trail to watch folks play and then go and find new areas to ride on.

Come on up and have a blast!

I have ran Jacoby Canyon, Gold Mountain, and White Mountain stock/connected/ no armor with no lockers on 30's. It was an interesting time but I made it out of there in one peace with minor trail rash. Now I am at 4.5" with 31's/ your set up 4" on 32's you should be fine, light on the pedal, pick your line and watch/listen to the spotter. Have a great time out there.
Fish

I just ran Holcomb Creek all the way thru with a 4.5 inch lift, 30's, open/open and no protection whatsoever. Zero damage, a heavy right foot and listening to the spotter will net you a great, pucker up time :). The only parts to even stress at all are the rock gardens, which are a bit hairy for rigs of our stance, but not impossible with some decent line planning hehe. Bring 'er up, we won't let anything bad happen to it!

Skwerly said:
I just ran Holcomb Creek all the way thru with a 4.5 inch lift, 30's, open/open and no protection whatsoever. Zero damage, a heavy right foot and listening to the spotter will net you a great, pucker up time :). The only parts to even stress at all are the rock gardens, which are a bit hairy for rigs of our stance, but not impossible with some decent line planning hehe. Bring 'er up, we won't let anything bad happen to it!

my only concern is no recovery points, i really cant afford a set of hooks right now and i cant seem to find any at the parts yards. so i wont be pushing her too much i'll still have fun tho, this will be my stepsons first time camping and his first offroad adventure. i know he'll have a great time thats all that really matters :D

thanks for the info guys
-mike

GrimmJeeper said:
my only concern is no recovery points, i really cant afford a set of hooks right now and i cant seem to find any at the parts yards. so i wont be pushing her too much i'll still have fun tho, this will be my stepsons first time camping and his first offroad adventure. i know he'll have a great time thats all that really matters :D

thanks for the info guys
-mike

Hey Mike,

I am going to try to make it to a yard today or tomorrow. If I find a set of hooks I will grab them for you. I know there is a set on a Cherokee at the Pick-a-part in Stanton, but I am not going to that one.

I will let you know what I find....

I'm going to pick a part as well, today (if it doesn't rain, which it will) or if not for sure tomorrow, i'll see if i can nab a set for ya as well. I know i saw some last time i was there, on a 91 i believe, but the way that yard goes who knows if it's still there or not. At any rate, i'll really keep my eye out for ya.

GrimmJeeper said:

thanks for the info guys
-mike
I have a set of front hooks I will loan ya. I will need them back though they are for my wifes XJ

I just got back from the Ontario Pick-a-part.

8 XJ's on the lot right now! none of them had tow hooks, but lot's of other stuff:

door, hoods, rear hatches, factory tire carrier (one), rear tow hitches, D30 axles, (disco and non), I did not look at the rears (dang it). There were 2WD, all of the other where 4WD. There were 2 2 door, the others are 4 door.

dzraces said:
I have a set of front hooks I will loan ya. I will need them back though they are for my wifes XJ

appreciate the offer but im lazy if i put em on i wont want to take em back off :D as soon as my tax check gets here im going to buy a bumper with dring tabs, but i think im just going to have a bracket made up at my buddies shop and run one d ring in the front and one in the back. at least then i'll have something just in case, but like i said im lazy i might not even get around to doing that. lol

-mike

Not to hi-jack a thread, but am I going to get penalized for not having front tow hooks? :dunno:

I do have a rear hitch, but I haven't been able to find any tow hook brackets to mount my tow hooks to.

Just curious,

Later,
Coullt

P.S. I do have rock rails.

Cherikon said:
Not to hi-jack a thread, but am I going to get penalized for not having front tow hooks? :dunno:

I do have a rear hitch, but I haven't been able to find any tow hook brackets to mount my tow hooks to.

Just curious,

Later,
Coullt

P.S. I do have rock rails.

No penalties, just may not get to go on some runs, but there will trails you can do!!!

Come on up and see what trails are available. As for the difficult run I am leading, I don't think I would want your rig on the trail due to the possible damage (no rock rails) and no tow hooks (for straping, if needed) BUT there will be several trails that you can do with other groups.

I hope I don't sound like a d!ck! The trail leaders have the say in the requirements for the rigs. They are responsible to get the group to and through the trails safely with minimal damage.....

See you up there!

rpraterxj said:
No penalties, just may not get to go on some runs, but there will trails you can do!!!

Come on up and see what trails are available. As for the difficult run I am leading, I don't think I would want your rig on the trail due to the possible damage (no rock rails) and no tow hooks (for straping, if needed) BUT there will be several trails that you can do with other groups.

I hope I don't sound like a d!ck! The trail leaders have the say in the requirements for the rigs. They are responsible to get the group to and through the trails safely with minimal damage.....

See you up there!

Robert,
Thanks for the reply- I do have rock rails- JCR Stage II's to be exact. I understand about the front recovery points though. I might have them on before Big Bear along with a NEW RE 3.5" Super-Flex!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

The 2" budget boost is not cutting it.

Later,
Coullt

dzraces said:
there will be a run you can go on

the 3,5 re kit is a big improvment over a 2 inch budget boost.

X2....

There will be a trail run you can go on.

Actually I'll give you the real story here since I've ran this event in the past and know NAXJA rules well (I'd better!).

Tow hooks are required equipment. We've been bitten by that before and don't want to have it happen again.

Now, if you roll on up there and don't have them I will say that you can run the stocker runs (I know it's kinda a pain with a new lift) but you should not go crazy on alternate lines if there are any.

Thems the rules - In fact I'm bending them by saying you can do the stocker run (there's a good chance I'll be leading one or both of them), technically they're always required.

The best thing to do would be to try to find some proper tow hooks (a word of advise, don't succumb to the temptation and try to just bolt some onto the stock bumper, we'll notice that ;)). I do recall seeing some in the Wilmington yard the last time I was there but that was about two weeks ago or so.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me (either on Big Bear or technical questions about the tow hooks).

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Actually I'll give you the real story here since I've ran this event in the past and know NAXJA rules well (I'd better!).

Tow hooks are required equipment. We've been bitten by that before and don't want to have it happen again.

Now, if you roll on up there and don't have them I will say that you can run the stocker runs (I know it's kinda a pain with a new lift) but you should not go crazy on alternate lines if there are any.

Thems the rules - In fact I'm bending them by saying you can do the stocker run (there's a good chance I'll be leading one or both of them), technically they're always required.

The best thing to do would be to try to find some proper tow hooks (a word of advise, don't succumb to the temptation and try to just bolt some onto the stock bumper, we'll notice that ;)). I do recall seeing some in the Wilmington yard the last time I was there but that was about two weeks ago or so.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me (either on Big Bear or technical questions about the tow hooks).

Sequoia

I knew you or Remi would chime in! I agree and support the rules. :yelclap:

Hey Coult,

If you can not find factory hooks, look into these XJ hooks: http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html#brackets

I am pretty sure you will get them in just a few days and they are good hooks.

If and when you change bumpers, you can usually get most of your money back by re-selling these.

Back