• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quarter window seals

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
My quarter windows leak into my quarter panels so bad I have to keep the plugs out to keep from pooling water. I asked the window place if they could just squirt some urethane behind the seal lip, they said they only pull them out and put in new seals and they won't do that without extras in hand, and they can't get extras. They wanted me to buy some junkyard ones and then charge me like 150 a window to fix them! I'm thinking about putting some right stuff behind the lip and hope for the best, anybody else have any ideas?

That's what they use to re-seal it, generic window seal, but they won't do it without extras on hand and they want way to much to do it in the first place.

They list the seals for up to '96.

Removing and installing the rearmost fixed side windows is not difficult., and the seals are almost always reusable.

2 door or 4 door?

Piece of cake on a 4 door.
I replaced my regular glass with factory tinted glass.
New seals can be bought.
I toyed with the idea but just reused the old ones without a problem.
Crown makes some.
You did not say what year.
You basically remove a couple interior panels and pry the rubber out from the inside.
I find one of those door removal plastic tool sets works nice.

https://www.amazon.com/SunplusTrade...BYPYM0J4J6Y&psc=1&refRID=H8FBNRZ1JBYPYM0J4J6Y

Better then using screwdrivers like I did the first time I did it. LOL.
And use the rope trick to put it back in.
One thing does come to mind.
Any chance your seals are not in properly?

4 door. I'm primarily an engine guy, my sausage fingers tend to be a little too rough for any delicate work such as glass.

The good news is you can buy replacement seals for a 4 door. And find them in a junkyard fairly regularly too.

2 door ones aren't available new anymore.

I've never had to pull them as the one time I needed to replace a quarter window was because it was smashed. Putting it back in is fairly easy using the rope method and a second set of hands.

Back