• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put ZJ fan clutch in my XJ. Always roars. Question?

The ZJ clutch is good for when you're driving through bad neighborhoods. I was going about 15 down a street and there were a bunch of kids and their mean looking parents playing basketball in the road. They didn't move, so I dropped it into 1 going about 20MPH ... gave them all a good scare.

I want to put a new one on but I don't have the patience or working hands to swap the fan clutch. I have somewhat bad carpal tunel and my hands are messed up from when I fell in a fire as a kid ... It's nearly impossible for me to pull it out. I had to replace the fan shroud this spring and that was killer.

Everyone had said it roars when they first started talking about this . I got mine , never installed but removed and flushed the rad and heater core . I had a 96 up mech fan , 97 up aux fan , Hesco hi flow water pump and therm housing but it would still run hot . Too hot . My motor was really worn so i replaced with a low mile 99 4.0 and 3 row CSF radiator , no problems now .

There's a lot of stuff that can go bad in the cooling system. My radiator was new, so I looked elsewhere - it ended up being a combination of the fan clutch (original was worn) and radiator.

I re- did everything . Fan clutch clutch the exh fan switched at the dash . In the end it was just my tired motor . My friend had the 99 4.0 in his garage for three years .

Back