• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purchasing a wrecked Rubi for a DD...need help

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
got a chance to purchase a Rubi that was in an accident. What do you guys think about the damage to it from the pics? I would have to buy it over the net, and can't go there personaly to inspect it. Any comments are appreciated.
here are the pics.

j4.jpg

j3.jpg

j2.jpg

j1.jpg

i know the axle looks like its bent, i would probably get a D30 from a 4 cylinder TJ so the gearing is the same, as well as the mounts and the rest.

Buying a vehicle sight unseen is financially dangerous. Buying one that has been in an accident without your being able to look it over carefully is out and out foolish. Although its tempting, unless they're giving it away for a song, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just my opinion.

i doubt the axle is bent but ive seen the fraim crunch where the lca attaches to the frame b4 that wheel looks like it took a good hit
then again the lca may be bent for an easy fix

Looks no worse than when my daughter broke that saturn in half 2 years ago with her TJ... $200 for the warn bumper, $225 for a front fender, $22 for the two marker lights, fender flare will probably just pop right back out, new wheel will run about $500 if you buy all 4 or 5 from somebody who upgrades...theres a set of 5 with MT's on www.bmja.org now...as long as the airbags didn't fire I'd go for it...

Looking at the way the hood sits on the grille and the wrinkle on the driver's side cowl / dash area behind the fender, I'd say the frame is tweaked a bit to the right. You gotta remember that if the jeep was "totalled" by the insurance company and the seller is listing it as a repairable vehicle, the insurance already deemed it an expensive fix. From the pics, the seller looks like an insurance salvage liquidator.

I'd anticipate a bent frame, tweaked right front fender, hood, and some significant damage to the front suspension and axle components. I doubt the axle housing/tubes are damaged but you'll need a wheel and probably a hub bearing, control arms and possibly steering parts.

Also be up to speed on Canada's inspection laws regarding wrecked vehicles. Know what's required to get a "Salvage" title if needed or if you have to have an official inspection of the repairs to even get a new title for it - or before you can even title it. Some States here in the U.S. make it really hard for the private owner to get this done without documents from a certified repair facility.

Worst case.... if you get it cheap enough, there's a whole pile of sweet parts to make a Rubi-Cherokee there....... :D

Last edited:
This was my sons before
http://www.rjpsystems.com/pics/tjwreck01.jpeg
$1800 in parts after
http://www.rjpsystems.com/pics/tjfixed2.jpeg

Everything unbolts, that bend in the fender/tub are can be pulled back out, depends if it effects the door or not.
I'd ask for a detailed pic under the nose to see the front diff/suspension.
How much they asking ?

Here is my sons YJ after he got hit head on at a stop sign by a infinity doing ~50, the bumper was trashed so we had pulled it.
http://www.rjpsystems.com/pics/yjfront.jpeg

Shorties are tough...

YELLAHEEP said:
You gotta remember that if the jeep was "totalled" by the insurance company and the seller is listing it as a repairable vehicle, the insurance already deemed it an expensive fix. From the pics, the seller looks like an insurance salvage liquidator.

As a claims adjuster for an insurance company I fully support this statement.

You'd be surprised how bad things can be even though they look ok from the outside.

If the axle was pushed back far enough the t-case could be cracked too. Air bag was probably deployed. If you can get it for super cheap I'd go for it, otherwise I'd steer clear.

Copart huh?
I got my rubi off of salvage direct! Bought mine sight unseen. Turned out great. Mine had a small interior fire(Lower seat pad and cushion). Be prepaired to spend $$$ they bring high dollar at the auction. Id say go for it. The axle and frame are probally fine. The control arms are the weak link there. The tub is bent due to the fender being pushed into it. Insurance companys total cars because it is more cost effective for them. My 04' with 25k was wrote off due to "Smoke Damage". You will always have the haters talking about how bad a salvage title is. The last 5 cars ive owned have had salvage titles and ive never had a problem selling them(Usually at a huge profit). I put my ruby up for sale on craigslist Raleigh/Durham today.....I let you know when it sales. My tundra lasted 3 days. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and Ill answer any questions you have.
DSC01108.jpg

Last edited:
there is no visible damage inside the cabin, both air bags are ok, and were NOT deployed:) Thanks a lot for all the opinions;)

Back