• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

purchasing a CB radio..

Define: better.

CB radio transmissions almost sound worse than talking on a couple dixie cups attached with strings. By their nature they sound like crap to start with and then we listen to them through a tiny speaker often mounted in a poor location. I installed an auxiliary speaker on the dash just to right of the ignition switch and it vastly improved performance on the trail FOR ME.

In my opinion, a cleaner transmission is usually the result of a good microphone or a noise canceling mic but rarely because one paid more for the radio.

Umm lets see one that has quality components not necessarily a larger price tag

A ball on the side is a poor location but if you're going to stick with it, look into Firestik, Wilson and Shakespeare antennas. Buy online and shop for price.

I would recommend a mag mount Wilson 1000 in the middle of the roof for best performance.

well then i guess i should take it off as i already backed into a pole and hit it with the ball.... stupid me! the lift, plus tinted windows didnt help :p

That pro520xl is what I run and I bought my antenna at the truck stop off the 10 at milliken. Its a Wilson "lil wil" and they run about $40. Crazy jim and Slimsxj bouth run the same setup. I often have people close to me in the group asking "Andy, who are you talking to" as I talk to someone further away. Decent priced setup that works well.

You can borrow mine to see what you think if you like.
funny thing is sometimes they ask him that question and there's no cb to be found...

I would recommend a mag mount Wilson 1000 in the middle of the roof for better performance.

I would recommend a permanent mount Wilson 1000 in the middle of the roof for best performance.

Fixed it for ya Andy

WAY longer range. They also require a license to use as per the FCC. CB's don't, hence the name CB (Citizens Band). Having a ham radio license also usually turns you into a ham snob and makes you look down your nose at piddly little "CB users" :laugh:

If you're gonna run a Ham, keep a CB as well, not many people run HAM radios on the trail.

But with the right 2m radio you can listen to all those race teams.

leave it to me to ask the Captain obvious question, but can i use the Wilson 1000 as my CB ant. AND my car stereo Ant?????
im sure there will be some type of splitter involved, but will the CB transmission suffer?

Back