• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling motor questions

let me tell ya man, everyone always seem to "easily" get those bolts out, well im with ya i couldnt either.
ended up pulling motor and trans together.
replace those stupid bolts with hex heads when ya put back in, and if you need to remove again it will be much easier especially with an impact gun.

when putting back in, if possible def put motor and trans in as one, almost impossible though without a leveler.

I do drop tranny a few inches to get to them easier too(have a 2wd, so it's easier). I remove shifter and only have to use a few extensions from the inside to get those e12s out. I've always dropped the tranny first and then pulled the engine and never have had a problem getting them back in as long as I had a helper with me(no leveler or tranny jack, just regular one)

let me tell ya man, everyone always seem to "easily" get those bolts out, well im with ya i couldnt either.
ended up pulling motor and trans together.
replace those stupid bolts with hex heads when ya put back in, and if you need to remove again it will be much easier especially with an impact gun.

when putting back in, if possible def put motor and trans in as one, almost impossible though without a leveler.

So all in all is it just easier to pull the whole assembly (motor/trans) together, then seperate them on the garage floor? I've never pulled one, but need to soon! I was always a little concerned pulling both at once, at the weight of everything and being able to manuever it all in and out of the engine bay. Sorry to threadjack!

Probly a bad idea, but I used a 3/8 gear wrench for the torx bolts. Ive taken the tranny off twice using that method. For the HB I stuck my breaker bar in so that it was in the way of the crank turning anymore.

i just pulled a motor on friday and i used a 16" extension, and pounded a 9mm 6pt socket onto those bolts.

i will say this tho, its much easier to just pull the trans with the motor than trying to get to all those bolts, and trying to put them back in. i would have pulled it all together had i been putting a motor back into this XJ. it is also much easier to put the trans back onto the new motor out of the vehicle, and once you put itt back in you can use a floor jack to move the trans around and help you line up all the trans and motor mounts.

good luck, its not too hard to do it just takes patience.

Back