• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling d-44 carrier

My front 44 came out fairly easy but the rear gave me trouble. I tried the two crowbar method and it didn't work, so I put one of the crowbars between the case and one of the ring bolts so it wouldn't move then I rotated the pinion yoke with a pipe wrench and it came right out.
Dave

Zipdrive007 said:
Tighter= more preload
Loose= Not faithful
So the tighter she is the happier you should be. :pig:

well mine is like.. whoo tight.. cant wait till this weekend to see what i can do that works

Usually more bearing preload means longer bearing life. So thats a good thing. Also if anyone has a welder they can make a case spreader for alot less than it would cost to buy one. Then you won't have to worry about getting the carrier back in either.

had mine on jackstands out of the vehicle & it was a biAtch to get out!!

had to pull on it with a chain hoist while standing on it & beating the housing w/ a bfh

TC said:
Yikes! Come-a-longs and chains? You guys are scary. The wrench trick will usually do it, if not stuff a rag between the pinion and ring gears and turn the yoke, should dislodge. Be sure to leave the carrier bolts on a few threads so you harm the parts or yourself. TC

Last year I tried both of the methods you have described.Neither worked.
Used a strap and a bottle jack. I wouldnt use chain for fear of damage,but if you want to____GET ER DONE
Wayne

Back