• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

protesters at g20???

Hannity had two of the girls who were protesting on tonight, and they looked absolutly retarded.

Hannity: So you hate capitolism, but you don't want the Govt to have the power either
Girl 1: Yes, more people need to have access to the wealth that capitolism does not allow
Hannity: So without having the Govt to force people to give it up how would you accomplish this?
Girl 2: You are not listening! we would tax them!

Hannity::dunno:

Gawd. Permanent low brain voltage, perhaps?

Reminds me of Leno doing his "Man on the Street" one night - asked a woman with a BA in American Lit the following (after he'd established her education):

"Who was Samual Langhorne Clemens?"

Cripes - I'd learned that little factoid 'way back in middle school...

Answers, anyone?

My parent ensured that I grew up enjoying books and outside more than video games. I did go to school well before the harry potter generation too. Those craptastic books came out my Senior year.

My bedtime stores were as often as not a chapter or two from one of the OZ books, or Jabberwokky, or Casey At the Bat, or some other such classic. My dad owned several great collections, like A Treasury of the Familiar and such.

I named a pair of cats after Abdul Abullbull Amir and Ivan Skavinsky Skvar...

My parent ensured that I grew up enjoying books and outside more than video games. I did go to school well before the harry potter generation too. Those craptastic books came out my Senior year.

My bedtime stores were as often as not a chapter or two from one of the OZ books, or Jabberwokky, or Casey At the Bat, or some other such classic. My dad owned several great collections, like A Treasury of the Familiar and such.

I named a pair of cats after Abdul Abullbull Amir and Ivan Skavinsky Skvar...

Yah - mum taught me basic maths and reading before I went to kindergarten (German word.) Therefore, I started out ahead of the system and stayed there.

I can still recall the story that really got me reading - I caught it in mum's "mysteries of the world" collection (no, I don't recall what it was called as a book,) and flipped through until I read the story of the Oak Island Money Pit
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island
- http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

My kid sister picked up her passion from reading from the same book - just a different story (I don't recall which.)

You've just got to find something that engages a young mind - once that's one, so is the difficult bit.

Teach 'em to read, and see that they enjoy it. Then teach them how to learn on their own. Nothing will ever shut down that mind short of a bullet.

not really, the only real purpose of that training is to show you that the mask does work. If you didn't run out coughing it worked
That training must have changed since I went through it. They used to train you to get the mask on quickly, the to get it on in a contaminated environment, then they MADE you take it off and breath that crap for about a minute before they let you out. Everybody ran(ok, stumbled, or blindly blundered) out coughing. Ah, good times,... :D

Teach 'em to read, and see that they enjoy it. Then teach them how to learn on their own. Nothing will ever shut down that mind short of a bullet.

That training must have changed since I went through it. They used to train you to get the mask on quickly, the to get it on in a contaminated environment, then they MADE you take it off and breath that crap for about a minute before they let you out. Everybody ran(ok, stumbled, or blindly blundered) out coughing. Ah, good times,... :D

Precisely - learn reading, learn basic maths - both will teach you enough about logic and "how to learn" that you're unstoppable from there. Granddad then taught me that anything of importance can be described mathematically (granddad graduated high school, no college, and was the smartest man I'd ever met! Still is, but we lost him a few years ago...) and that was a lesson I took to heart.

Strengths in school for me? Maths, Sciences, and Shop. I took every damned Shop class that was offered in high school - metal, plastics, wood, engine, auto body, ... Maths all the way out to calculus, three semesters each of Chem and Phyzzies, throw in Astronomy, Aerospace (essentially FAA ground school taught by a CFI,) geology, "Earth Sciences" (mostly intro geology, coupled with geography and cartography - we also learned to survey and draw contour maps, and had to draw a map of that end of the city as well.)

Phyzzies was fun - since it was a general course, we got to play with fluid power, optics, stroboscopy, ... It was a hair short of a general MET course, if anything.

And the common thread through all of those courses was the same thing I'd been thinking for years - "If it can't be described mathematically, it ain't a science." No matter what PoliSci people try to tell you (and Gawd only knows how many times I've gotten into this argument!) if there is no mathematical model, it's just not a science. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make the name fit.

Flipside: If it can't be described mathematically, it's not very important. Mathematics is the only language with a null semantic content, therefore it is the only truly "universal" language. As soon as semantics get involved, you start to screw things up - that's how you run into "errors in translation."

A mathematical model is predictable. That's why I can envision - at a microscopic level - just what is happening once I put a tool to a piece of metal when there is relative motion involved.

Gas Chamber training? I think I cranked them off when I was the last one out (someone has to be last, it saves trouble if it's me...) and didn't charge blindly out the door. Yeah - I was suffering the effects, but it wouldn't do to let them know how much I was suffering. I mustered up all of the Stoicism I could manage...

that is what they did. We did the mask drills and full MOPP gear drills, then we went into the gas house with the masks on. Did some aerobics to prove the masks were sealed and on properly. Then, unofficially, we horsed around trying to knock masks off and ball tag each other. Then they made us all take them off to show that they had indeed shielded us from the CS tear gas.

like I said, the whole purpose to to provide confidance that your MOPP gear will protect you in a chem/bio environment.

i think my favorite part of the gas chamber training was when the instructor asked who would be the first one to through up, a big fat guy next to me raised his hand. So i looked at him and said "Wiggins WTF?" He replies: " I had 7 glasses of milk with lunch" and we all knew where we were going after lunch. Genius at its best

Back