• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper XJ tune-up

Albert Jr.

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a while since I've done one
but I've never really figured what would be considered as a proper
standard tune-up for an XJ

This is why I'm posting this thread and with this thread I'm asking,
could anyone add/give advice on what would be included in a tune up ?

I bought my new sparkplugs today and I'm thinking of buying
motor oil tomorrow.

What more should I add ?

Thanks in advance,
Albert.

Depends how far you want to go. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter (if applicable), air filter, oil and filter, transmission fluid, front and rear diffs, coolant if needed, brake fluid as this is rarely changed as well as power steering fluid. Check hoses and serpentine belt. Check brakes, suspension and steering as well.

Typically a TUNE-UP refers to an ignition system servicing.. I can't tell you what to buy as I don't know what your rig needs.
This is my process at tune-up time and at nearly every oil change... Check of ALL fluids, changing if needed, Check of all hoses, replace as needed, inspection of ignition (plugs, wires, cap/rotor) replace/clean as needed, Inspect and service oil and air filters, check and service brakes (including bleeding), testing and inspection of charging system and battery, inspection and freshening of grounds and connections. Lubrication of suspension and drive shafts.

I have never had a Jeep breakdown in about 700000 miles of Jeeps. The only time a Jeep has stranded me is when I broke it or got it stuck on a trail. If there is something questionable it stays in the driveway till fixed. I don't like walking or having to call for a tow.

Your Owners Manual and the JEEP Factory Service Manual have a complete routine preventative maintenance schedule. If you do not have an Owners Manual, or Factory Service Manual, you should get one.

Thanks a lot guys.
I thought tuning up just meant checking oils and replacing sparkplugs and hoses if needed.

This will definitely be made into a list for my XJ and I will buy that manual asap.
Thanks again.

cap, rotor and wires are what gets the spark to the plugs. They degrade over time.

replace them, they are cheap. I bought a tune up in a box for like 30 bucks that included all of that stuff.
Do try and get a cap with brass terminals, they are mo better.

cap, rotor and wires are what gets the spark to the plugs. They degrade over time.

replace them, they are cheap. I bought a tune up in a box for like 30 bucks that included all of that stuff.
Do try and get a cap with brass terminals, they are mo better.

Thankyou, I'll do that.
Napa helped out for once and imo the plugs did come cheap.
About $2,- ea

Back