• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper spark plug length

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know the proper length spark plug wires should be? I'm trying to track a problem and am trying to boil some things down. When I changed them out, 1 or 2 were a little different. They were close. Would it even matter?

MattS said:
Anyone know the proper length spark plug wires should be? I'm trying to track a problem and am trying to boil some things down. When I changed them out, 1 or 2 were a little different. They were close. Would it even matter?

It should not. I've made plug wires from bulk stock before without incident - and without using the old wires for a pattern. As long as you don't have to loop them around to take up the extra room or somesuch thing like that, you should be fine.

They are all gonna be different lengths, depending on how far they are away from the distributor....

JNickel101 said:
They are all gonna be different lengths, depending on how far they are away from the distributor....

I think he was referring to the wires not being different lenghts from each other (which is common,) but corresponding wires being different lengths between sets (which is also common.) For instance, the #1 plug wire in an Autolite set is usually about an inch and a half different from the #1 plug wire in a Bosch set.

It still should not be at issue, so I'd not worry about it.

Back