• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Are you worried about the structural integrity of the front?? Cutting out the radiator support seems like it would weaken the front end a lot...

Yea, my bumper more than makes up for it. All you need is a little torsional rigidity, which if we're being honest, the stock CM isn't going to help when you're in the rocks anyway :).
I've certainly not noticed any change in rigidity after cutting out the top lip of the CM.

Oh snap!
28E1290B-6A3F-4EE1-98E1-60B530205260_zps89amhni7.jpg

Just need to get the headers on and the oil pressure sensor on then it's ready to drop. Oh I also need to fix one of the OEM studs that holds the motor mount. I sheered one off

Sorry, I gotta go with no on that filter. The legs at the bottom of the cylinder, in stock setup, prevent the filter from being smashed into the bottom of the tank. Your filter is going to be supporting the weight of the cylinder, pump, as well as the spring. I'd expect that elbow to break off during regular driving just through vibration, not to mention the first time you come down on a rock with your tank.
I'd be finding a different filter, or stick something on the end of those legs to make sure that filter isn't riding on the tank.

The cylinder has to rest on the bottom, to get the fuel out the bottom of the tank, and it must also be able to compress up when you land on a rock and push the tank up. The spring in the cylinder is there for a reason. Seen LOTS of guys forget the spring. Hit a rock or something, and all of a sudden they're out of fuel :). Either that or they put a solid pipe connecting the top of the cylinder to the pump, hit something and destroy the pump/cylinder/everything.

I'd say for a purely street driven rig, you might get away with that filter supporting the cylinder, but even then, over the course of years of vibration, that elbow will break off eventually.

Painted and mounted the headers:
52CC89C3-F504-4358-92DF-671521CC10FE_zps8lvm7n6w.jpg

7F888C73-B690-44D3-9378-8ABF94466AB1_zpsujoffii5.jpg

Got the engine in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a pain in the ass! Like a few of you guys have said getting the bolts actually in the mounts and lined up was a PAIN.
312190C6-0CF9-4ECD-B0F2-B9E3C30B192D_zpsqqwnaowm.jpg

Clearance between the coil pack and heater hose is SUPER tight.
CA49FBAB-2A68-45A3-9A5C-0B6DFAB90138_zpsacf7pdew.jpg

And driver side clearance is tight as well:
92CE5849-F6E3-4669-9640-7D842062404F_zpsvvrgo2bj.jpg

Can also fit the AC compressor that came with! Living in Vegas, this is a must.
6C6D3701-43E3-4AF2-9809-8415AEAEF3DE_zpszksqzpfa.jpg

I started with the mounts in the middle hole. I think I'll be moving the engine to the forward mounting position. There isn't much room to run a fuel line. I also need to get my trans cable down below. I had it up top and out of the way, but now it's stuck because there isn't any room to move it. Lol

Was your fuel pump from a Mustang?? This one? GSS340

I still have to add a ton of stuff back to the Jeep - fuse box, both ECMs, overflow tank.

I still need to figure out how to run my trans cooler lines....ITS SO BIG.

I'm not positive on the pump. Just recall that it was a Walbro 255lph. Does look like the one you posted. I recommend Amazon for that stuff though man. Better warranty, cheaper, and way faster shipping.

Why is so much of yours sitting above the hood line? I've seen a bunch of swaps that can keep it under a factory hood. What's different?

I'd love to see pics of LS swaps that are 100% under the stock hood.

Why is so much of yours sitting above the hood line? I've seen a bunch of swaps that can keep it under a factory hood. What's different?

I can't imagine any way to keep an LT under the factory hood. Even if you didn't have motor mounts installed and you just dropped the motor in the bay, the hood wouldn't clear with the truck intake.

LS intake and accessories, sure, but that's an extra $3000 on a lucky day, plus a slight decrease in low end torque.
The only LT's I've seen under the stock hood, the front uni-frame was cut out entirely and rebuilt around the motor. Even then, the front axle has to come way forward to clear even a low profile pan, and unless you're rockin' 6" lift, the pan would be practically on the ground.

NorldaWheeler I believe accomplished this with an LT in his build, but as above, the entire front end was chopped off and rebuilt around the motor, plus he was on 44's or something ridiculous. His build was the inspiration that got my ass in gear for my swap.

I'll see what I can find.

I can't imagine any way to keep an LT under the factory hood. Even if you didn't have motor mounts installed and you just dropped the motor in the bay, the hood wouldn't clear with the truck intake.

LS intake and accessories, sure, but that's an extra $3000 on a lucky day, plus a slight decrease in low end torque.
The only LT's I've seen under the stock hood, the front uni-frame was cut out entirely and rebuilt around the motor. Even then, the front axle has to come way forward to clear even a low profile pan, and unless you're rockin' 6" lift, the pan would be practically on the ground.

NorldaWheeler I believe accomplished this with an LT in his build, but as above, the entire front end was chopped off and rebuilt around the motor, plus he was on 44's or something ridiculous. His build was the inspiration that got my ass in gear for my swap.

$3000!? Surely you're saying that because you're in Canada?

LSx intake puts it below the hood line. The truck intake is very tall.

Perhaps all the ones I've seen had LS intakes... Yours is one of the builds I'm referring to. Is yours not under a factory hood?

I've got a couple hundred extra into the LS1 intake swap. With some tuning I'm not so sure you would ever notice the difference in low end torque. Hell, without any tuning at all you probably wouldn't notice. The car weighs like 4000#.

Early pic of my conversion below the hood.

Back