• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Ryno MJ"

You could always do this:

Comanche98.JPG
LOL! That thing is awesome!

Ouch....my brain hurts! I plan on driving the truck quite a bit, It's gonna hit trails and be a recovery type vehicle. I'm thinking of making it a flat bed also, it sounds like the tow vehicle thing may be too much for this project. Keep the suggestions coming please, it helps to get input from so many people.

Ouch....my brain hurts! I plan on driving the truck quite a bit, It's gonna hit trails and be a recovery type vehicle. I'm thinking of making it a flat bed also, it sounds like the tow vehicle thing may be too much for this project. Keep the suggestions coming please, it helps to get input from so many people.

Hmm...

Sounds like Ryno wants to build CalTRANS.

There are a huge amount of options you can go with! And as you can tell, everyone has their opinion! Who ever said Jeepin (and Jeep modifying) was easy? LoL It's all part of the fun.

There's a person doing the Libby CRD Conversion on his MJ over on the ComancheClub.com forum too. SHould be a pretty sweet conversion.

I keep going back and forth on the whole v-6,v-8 thing. I guess maybe I should start a poll on the subject. :sunshine:
Honestly, the mileage is decent, especially, if you gear properly. One thing I have also wanted to do is a 4BT swap, you can get great mileage out of those. I would say a V8 that would take the least amount of work installing would be a 318 out of a ZJ or Dakota.

Hey dean, I'll sell you the motor outta the durango.. its a 4.7. I'll give you a deal, But the motor and the rest will come with it.... btw. it has no transfer case.

:D

My issue with the 318 and the 360 is that they are a physically large motor. I saw an XJ not to long ago with a 360 in it and they had a lot of things to deal with to get it in there. Custom headers, custom intermediate steering shaft, etc. The 4.7L fits beautifully. Nick at Jeeptricks put one into one of his MJs with a NV3550 behind it and a 242, wicked set up.

Not to mention weight differences. The 4.7L is only 50lbs heavier than the 4.0L, partly bcuz of it's aluminum heads. The 318 or 360 are quite a bit heavier.

The 318 and 360 engines are great, don't get me wrong. But power to weight, you can't beat the 4.7L. I believe the low output 4.7 is 250hp and the H.O. version is 280hp. The 360 I had in my 98 Ram only had 245hp when it was new/in stock form.

My issue with the 318 and the 360 is that they are a physically large motor. I saw an XJ not to long ago with a 360 in it and they had a lot of things to deal with to get it in there. Custom headers, custom intermediate steering shaft, etc. The 4.7L fits beautifully. Nick at Jeeptricks put one into one of his MJs with a NV3550 behind it and a 242, wicked set up.

Not to mention weight differences. The 4.7L is only 50lbs heavier than the 4.0L, partly bcuz of it's aluminum heads. The 318 or 360 are quite a bit heavier.

The 318 and 360 engines are great, don't get me wrong. But power to weight, you can't beat the 4.7L. I believe the low output 4.7 is 250hp and the H.O. version is 280hp. The 360 I had in my 98 Ram only had 245hp when it was new/in stock form.

An LSx or a LQ base with an LS intake is better than all of them, except for maybe a 4BT. As the LS1 has 320hp stock..

Hmm...

Sounds like Ryno wants to build CalTRANS.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Hey dean, I'll sell you the motor outta the durango.. its a 4.7. I'll give you a deal, But the motor and the rest will come with it.... btw. it has no transfer case. :D

WTF Tim, you dumping the Durbango? Pm me your price.

An LSx or a LQ base with an LS intake is better than all of them, except for maybe a 4BT. As the LS1 has 320hp stock..

An LS1 would be nice! It looks like a V-8 seems to be the popular choice.
The biggest problem with the 8 is getting a big enough radiator to cool it.

Thats not the problem... Its finding the money to to pay for that radiator thats the problem :D

I say LS1 or the DOHC Ford Cobra Motor :D

Are you going to drive it a lot? With the price if diesel it just isn't too practical for a daily driver these days, whether it's going to become practical again I do not know.

If the price of fuel doesn't factor in I'm with John on suggesting a 4bt. The more expensive option would be a CRD out of a Liberty (not sure if the Dodge Sprinter CRD is the same or if it'll fit, but that might be an easier to obtain swap if so since the sell them in California).

Two things...4bt is WAY cheaper than a CRD motor. 4bt will get WAY better mileage than any V6 or V8. Unloaded mileage would be in the high 20's....well worth the extra $.25 at the pump. Towing mileage would still be in the mid to high teens.

Another reason to go diesel. A diesel engine runs cooler than gas :D

If you do decide to go with a 4bt....do yourself one huge favor, make sure it is a inline injector pump(bosch), NOT rotary. Also, be sure to get one from a vehicle of some kind. For it to be a legal swap it CANNOT be from a generator, pump, or other stationary device.

If you do go 4bt with a bosch pump....let me know :D

We can seriously improve power output without changing fuel mileage.

If you do go 4bt with a bosch pump....let me know :D

We can seriously improve power output without changing fuel mileage.

I will definately talk to you more if I go diesel. Never got into the diesels myself, so I am not up on all the tricks of running one. Do you have a line on the engines, or at least point me in the right direction?

I will definately talk to you more if I go diesel. Never got into the diesels myself, so I am not up on all the tricks of running one. Do you have a line on the engines, or at least point me in the right direction?

I'll distract the UPS driver....

This would be ideal....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4bta...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Notice the inline pump...very important.

Comes with a Allison trans which would be cool, but won't work with the transfercase. You could probably get enough from the Allison to buy all the other needed parts...bellhousing and starter, etc. to go with a chevy, dodge, or ford trans.

Bellhousings on the 6bt's are changeable, I would have to assume the 4bts are the same way.

If you just search "4bt" on ebay you will find anything you need.

Just noticed the one I posted has the bellhousing removed....So yes, they are interchangeable.

WTF Tim, you dumping the Durbango? Pm me your price.

Cant.. Its not in my name. I also cant afford to buy a new car either..

Back