• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

I'd also like to thank the UJ crew for letting us run the private land today.
I will say that even with the breakages I always have a great time out with this group of people.
def a awsome group:guitar:

I cant tell... did the metal sheer or did the weld fail?
Combination of both. Basically I just didn't have enough support for the bracket. It caused the welds to fail on the back side and then the "leg" was bent and torn off after the weld.

The new version will be a similar setup but with a plate on the underside and a gusset in the corner. I'll probably lose my lowest adjustment hole, but its much better than having the mount fail.

Edit: I also noticed in my above picture I forgot to install the sleeves to the limit strap clevis' between the tab mounts. I'll make sure I install those as well so I get the full effect of both tabs, not just the top one.

Last edited:
Bill, i thought you had some of the cage tubing come down on top of those mounts and tie everything together? Or was that just the LCA mounts?

(psst....you should get some 90* grease fittings to make life easy getting to those bushings)

Bill, i thought you had some of the cage tubing come down on top of those mounts and tie everything together? Or was that just the LCA mounts?

(psst....you should get some 90* grease fittings to make life easy getting to those bushings)
Wow, this was actually good honest advice from Ross instead of his normal potty mouth comments. Proud of you Ross!

Only the LCAs are tied into the cage. You are correct, the cross bars come down on top of them.
The UCAs need some re-work. It is entirely my fault and I'll admit it. But nobody ever learns if they don't make mistakes right?

Actually I can get my grease gun on all the fittings in the rear with the weight on the vehicle (level ground) no problem. The only ones I have trouble getting to are the front LCAs on the axle side. I'll throw some 90s on those.

Wow, this was actually good honest advice from Ross instead of his normal potty mouth comments. Proud of you Ross!
Me too! :)

Rear UCA mounts are now re-done. I completely boxed in the underside and added a pair of gussets they are not going anywhere now! I should have done that the first time around.

On another note I've got to give a hand to MAC's Custom Tie Downs.
I was put in a bind when I ordered some from a different vendor and they came in the wrong length (to short). Rather than re-wait for the other guys to correct the issue (after 3 weeks) I cancelled the order and called MAC's. I explained my situation and they were happy to turn out a set of straps that same day to make sure I had them for my trip. Ordered my straps Tuesday afternoon and got them today. Can't ask for better service than that! Even comparing them to the other vendors short ones there is a big difference in quality, stitching, and wrap. Much nicer product for darn near the same price.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up my new trailer.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up my new trailer.
:D

18_10K_Trailer1.jpg

18_10K_Trailer2.jpg

So as a few of you know I put a gash in the sidewall of one of my brand new Maddogs during NACFest.
icon9.gif
That could have been easily fixed, but long story short, there is also a defect in the tire tread and that isn't repairable.

Then to add salt to the wound the PitBull warehouse does not have any Maddogs in the 39x14.50/16.5 size and they aren't expecting to have any until sometime around Sept. I'm not waiting that long.

So I'll be purchasing two 39.5x16.50/16.5 Rockers in the morning and I'll run those in the rear and two of the three Maddogs I have in the front.
I've already talked with the dealer and mounted up the two tires should be very close if not the same diameter.
I'll pick up another H1 wheel and mount the 3rd Maddog to it and keep it as a spare.

The spending never ends, even when I thought I was "done for awhile". :tear:

Last edited:
Really sucks that it's defective and they don't have any in stock... I'm kinda surprised they didn't give you a refund on it, seeing as it's a defective tire, though I guess you did have them for a while before finding out.

Really sucks that it's defective and they don't have any in stock... I'm kinda surprised they didn't give you a refund on it, seeing as it's a defective tire, though I guess you did have them for a while before finding out.
A claim has been filled it could/might be a few days/weeks till I find out the outcome.

It stinks about the tire, but not much I can do at this point but look and move forward.

Last edited:
Well PitBull came through for me and helped me out. I've got to say thanks to both PitBull and 4WS, both had excellent service throughout this "mess".

Anyway, two of these showed up over the weekend:
PitBullRocker.jpg

PitBull Rocker (left) in a 39.5x16.50/16.5 vs PitBull Maddog (right) in a 39x14.50/16.5.
As you can see the height is very close. The width on the other hand, well the full 2" extra width of the Rocker really shows. Both tires are unmounted. Rocker is brand new, the Maddog is lightly used but still with full tread depth.
PitBull_Rocker_vs_Maddog.jpg

I'll get some real comparison measurements when I get them mounted up. It will be a few days before that happens.

Back