• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

Scored a couple of these at the junkyard today, Gentex ZTVHL3. Has 3 homelink garage door openers, auto dim, compass, and outside temp. Uses standard base so it can be added to many different vehicles. I'm still looking for a holy grail, all of the above with courtesy lights.

IMG_7208.jpg

Pulled an engine/trans/transfer case from a 2000 XJ. Then took the transmission only. Also got a nice front driveshaft for $20.

IMG_7209.jpg

And then pulled the engine/trans/transfer case from the MJ:

IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

Empty already:

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

This is what caused the leak, input seal ripped, likely would have been fine with a replaced seal, but I've gotten to the point where I don't trust this transmission and would just rather try another right now.

IMG_7217.jpg

New used transmission, need to pressure wash tomorrow and then get it hooked up, and hopefully back in and running by the end of the day.

IMG_7218.jpg

Sad to see it empty!

IMG_7219.jpg

I'd like to move on, get my driveshaft ordered, get the front end built and installed. And finish up with the seats, I have this seat heater kit waiting to be installed, and I have the electric bases to install. I'm looking forward to some of the more "fun" stuff like getting the interior together. I'm looking forward to having the interior complete and a Jeep I can sit in! (of course, if it doesn't drive it doesn't matter if its sits)

IMG_7221.jpg

Ok, so I pressure washed, swapped things around, and got the engine back in the MJ. No leaks. Engine sounds good. I had a little bit of lifter tick that cleared up pretty quick. Annoying setback to be sure, but that’s done and I can move on.

Video of it running after removing and reinstalling with new trans.
https://youtu.be/z7ifl6oZu9c

Also, I got the parking brake working.

Did a 10 minute break in, I'll do some more tomorrow.

Got the aftermarket high idle switch installed, but then I got to thinking about it. It does not have a backlight for the text when the headlight is on. But I realized you can swap the switch cover over to the OEM switch........so I realized I could install it on a spare fog switch.

But then I got to looking, and realized I could also install it on a spare defroster switch......

The high idle works by grounding the ECU pin that tells the ECU to goto high idle. The fog switch, and the aftermarket switch work by providing 12V.....not ground. So you have to use the switch to turn on a relay, which instead of providing a larger 12V power source will provide a ground. This works fine, but its some complication.

However if I use a spare defroster switch and modify it with the new cover to set on instead of toggle.........So I have a defroster switch that simply toggles on, then on the back one of the wires provides ground! Normally when you press the defroster switch down it momentarily provides ground to set the timer relay. By modifying the defroster switch to stay on, NOT as a momentary pushbutton, when it is in the down position the ground is connected, up ground is off, so in effect I have reproduced the stock high idle switch! Pretty pumped about such a small thing, but its the details that get ya.

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

Switch down, continuity to ground:

IMG_7254.jpg

Switch up, open circuit:
IMG_7255.jpg

Moved it to a different spot to be closer to the stock wiring that I will use from the rear wiper.

IMG_7256.jpg

I had to modify the electric seat base to fit the rear floor of the MJ, the mount closest to the bottom of the frame was too low, and caused the seat to "rock" on the floor, a little bit of hammering and a the bracket fits like a glove. Next up I drill a plate to act as a load disperser on the bottom side. for bolting the seat down.

IMG_7257.jpg

Its Miller time! Miller moth that is, this is what I came out to when leaving my parents for the night.......and this was without any garage lights on, they come inside seeking warmth at night an congregate where its warmer. Heaven forbid you leave a light on even....

IMG_7258.jpg

So the other night when doing the break in after running it at high RPM I was looking around at the engine for leaks and such, my power steering was spitting a little fluid out as it was bleeding down air and such. So I was looking around that area when I noticed a giant red patch of ATF pooled on the intake manifold! WTF?

So I get to looking around and I realize its not ATF, I was seeing a triangle shaped hole in the casting and behind that was a glowing hot exhaust manifold!

I managed to grab some pics, but it cooled off quick enough that I didn't get to grab a picture as the super red it was right after I stopped my break in run.

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

Got the hack n tap done last night. I need to measure and get my driveshaft ordered for the rear, hopefully I will get that done tonight.

IMG_7280.jpg

Going with this length I have 100% engagement of the splines on the transfer case:

IMG_7282.jpg

So big ticket items remaining:

-Set pinion angle and weld perches(likely get pinion pretty close tonight for purpose of drive shaft length measurement.

-Door latch modifications.

-Drop arm bracket install (need some new hardware and maybe some tweaks to install).

Front end:
-Gear setup.
-WJ Brake setup(weld spacers to knuckles is biggest part of this).
-HD steering setup.
-Track bar bracket and stabilizer
-Track bar(likely need custom length or adjustable)

Body wiring:
Cab interior, need to finish cleanup and strip down of XJ wiring.
Body rear, need to decide how tail lights will be wired and how tail light wiring, fuel pump wiring, and trailer tow harness wiring will exit the MJ and reach the back.

Extra's: Need to run wiring for EXT IDLE, power for heated seats, power for electric seat bases. Need to decide how to control heated seats, I am wondering if its possible to use the XJ heated seat controller with the aftermarket heated elements. Need to research this possibility.

Need to drill hole for antenna to pass into cabin, should have done this before AC box and dash was in.....woops.

Work on interior install, body wiring being sorted is critical path now for the interior install.

Finish AC line install and check AC system for vac.

Finish Rear bumper grinding, decide on paint vs galvanized option.

I had to open up the LCA bracket in the drop bracket to get the caster angle adjuster in place. Used a bolt and nut to "press" it apart. Worked pretty well.

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7286.jpg

Drop brackets installed finally, control arms loosely bolted untill axle is in and I can torque them.
IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

No idea what this barcode was for, the newer jeeps dont have this:
IMG_7287.jpg

Masked off the vin plate, ready for paint:
IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7291.jpg

Looks so much better with fresh paint:
IMG_7319.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

Got the 20 ton harbor frieght press today:
IMG_7295.jpg

Rear seat bolts drilled:
IMG_7300.jpg

Heated seat install:
IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

Nice having a large benchtop to work on instead of working on the ground:
IMG_7308.jpg

Build time and date of seat:
IMG_7309.jpg

And back together:
IMG_7310.jpg

Freakin cig burns! Ugj. This is a super nice seat, 45k miles, from an 01, about as new as you can get. The vynil is in good shape, the foam is in great shape, the fabric is really nice(now that its cleaned), and it has the fukkin burn marks. It'll have to do for now untill I can figure out something nicer, but these burns are gonna bother me.

IMG_7311.jpg

2door seat folding mechanism:
IMG_7313.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7316.jpg

Installed for testing! For the first time in a decade I got to sit in it!
IMG_7317.jpg

Video showing the seats a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTcZc0Utg0

So then I started building a harness to go from the simple overhead light to the console with compass. Had to splice in a plug since I didn't have an intact harness to swap in.

IMG_7322.jpg

And then tested the mini overhead console from the sunroof ZJ, and it works!

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

Then I got to messing with this connector under the passenger seat:
IMG_7325.jpg

I always thought this connector was for power seats, but then it didn't make sense why it was under the passenger but not the driver, especially since the power driver seat was more common than the dual power seats. The dual power seats only seem to have been around in the last few years when heated leather was an option, and even then only on the heated leather seats.

But then I got to comparing the connectors on my OEM heated leather seats and they don't match, so I was wondering what it is. Then I poked around, it has one small wire that is a switched source, and another large wire that is dead. I quickly traced the large wire back to the junction block and verified continuity. After poking around the connector it is C6 at the junction block, and after even more poking it gets power not through a fuse but a circuit breaker!

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

The vertical circuit breaker closest is CB30, and its for the wipers, the horizontal one furthest away(blurry) is CB28 and its for the window power, and CB29 with the empty spot is for the power seat power! So I just need to rob a wiper circuit breaker from the junkyard and that wiring will have the exact power I need for power seats or heated seats. This also means its super easy to add seat heaters to a jeep with manual seats.

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

seat_connection.jpg

Today freerider was kind enough to help weld on my perches after I set the pinion angle.

After some delays I got the axle back under the Jeep, sitting at ride height, final torqued, my driveshaft arrived Friday despite getting a notice it would be delayed.

And......... I got the parking brake hooked back up, driveshaft hooked up, seat put back in, and then started it up to move it under its own power! No hydraulic brakes, no steering, no a lot of other stuff. But it moves!

https://youtu.be/fAiKsfz2bP8

Checking out the JKS spacer on the new unit bearing:

IMG_7330.jpg

Got the housing stripped out. New Bushing, but old balljoints.

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7351.jpg

Nice being able to do this on a bench.
IMG_7352.jpg

Working on setting up gears, no idea at what point I was at with this and the bent carrier.

IMG_7414.jpg

When I ran to the junkyard I spotted this MJ, Ive seen him at the junkyards several times over the years, I dont think the last time I saw the jeep he had a 97/98 interior which is what he has now.

IMG_7437.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg

Interesting way to plug the vacuum line when the reservoir is gone.

IMG_7440.jpg

Checking pinion angle:

IMG_7456.jpg

Checking driveshaft:
IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7459.jpg

Plenty of clearance:
IMG_7460.jpg

Got one rotor drilled, checking out the WJ big brakes:
IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg

Sway bar link interference:
IMG_7464.jpg

IMG_7465.jpg

Rear end removed for Perch welding by freerider:

IMG_7466.jpg

Empty again:

IMG_7467.jpg

Draining gear oil:

IMG_7476.jpg

Rusted bump stops, had to torch the hell outta them before they would break loose.
IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

Brakes are huge!
IMG_7482.jpg

Sitting back after perch welding:

IMG_7483.jpg

The used line is what was on the donor jeep, the brake line is pressed into the fitting, and the bent metal line is all sorts of wrong shapes to run to the T. Someone gave me these new rear lines some years back and luckily they are the perfect thing for what I need to do.

IMG_7489.jpg

So I drilled two holes, the keeper hole to keep it from spinning, and then the bolt hole which I tapped out to M6. Then I used the KJ stock retaining bracket. Very nice solution, about as easy as it gets.

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7494.jpg

Now the stock KJ rear softline seems to be long enough if I make it reach the frame right above it. If it turns out to be too short then I will look at some other stock line for an extended rear line. I will either drill and tap, or use a nutsert if the frame is too thin there.

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

Installed the last of the AC lines and pulled a vacuum, seems to be holding for the few hours I left it on, I will check again tomorrow and if it still holds I will charge the system and test. I really wanted to charge it tonight and try and test the AC system. I would love to know the AC system is working.

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

Ok so no pics, but the AC is working! It held vacuum overnight, then I had to break the vacuum to add oil, then filled with some redtek r12. Its blowing cold and kicking on as it should. The charge of redtek is a little low, before I start driving it on the regular I will add some more, but in case I have to break the seal there is only one can in right now.

Next up I pulled out my new tubing flare tool, The stainless line came in today so I got to making lines. It went pretty well and I got the rear axle lines made up to the T.

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7504.jpg

IMG_7506.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_7509.jpg

Used the factory clip to put some hose around for anti rub like the factory did, then added a couple of more pieces further up for the same purpose:

IMG_7510.jpg

IMG_7511.jpg

IMG_7512.jpg

So tomorrow I will build the last bit of line from the Cherokee rear line which ends by the gas tank, to the rear softline. Also need to mount the softline to the frame.

Small progress tonight but still progress. I got the rear flex line mounted to the body, the last bit of brake line fabbed. I got the second WJ caliper drilled on 5x4.5. I got both calipers mounted, YJ brake lines bent to work with WJ calipers. Brake pads installed.

Started putting fluid in the system. Both rear lines at caliper were leaking. Turns out I had them installed backwards so they did not tighten onto the crush washers correctly. I fixed that, had one more leak in the engine bay where the passenger line splits into two pieces near the heater hoses.

And got it bled and working, brake pressure feels good.

So hydraulic brakes work, parking brake works, ac works, heater works.

Still no steering, track bar etc. work in progress.

Doors need to be mounted, or rather mounted so I can get the striker figured out.

Still the cab back wiring modifications needed. Plenty to do, but it’s getting closer.

With the help of freerider(thanks again!) I got the WJ steering arms shortened and reinforced after cutting about 4.5” out of the middle. Also got the raised sway bar link brackets welded.

Got everything in And hooked up, rough aligned, and took it for a spin around the circle. It runs, steers and stops! Drivetrain is nearly done.

Making progress!

https://youtu.be/tbqe9X9Zpts

Awesome progress, such a great feeling now that its alive I bet!!

Yes it’s very exciting that it’s this far! I have enough little stuff left to sort out that I know it’s going to be plenty of more hard work.

Logistics of getting my plates on it, getting it to the muffler shop, alignment etc, time is running out fast if I want to use it for my July 4th timeframe. I also have to travel for work next week, so I will lose some work time from that trip.

Still that being said, I got the doors mounted, adjusted, and the newer style striker patches installed.

So here we are, working doors:

https://youtu.be/ndVGthPadpY

Ok mocking up the steering:

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

Bars ready for weld:

IMG_7521.jpg

How much I removed from one:
IMG_7524.jpg

Brakes done and bled:
IMG_7545.jpg

Sway bar links welded thanks to freerider:
IMG_7546.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

Evaporative cooler is nice in the summer:
IMG_7548.jpg

Axle painted:
IMG_7549.jpg

Its alive! Driving stopping steering etc:
IMG_7550.jpg

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

My helper after a long day:

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7555.jpg

Steering setup, will look at making a new track bar mount in the future:

IMG_7556.jpg

Marking for the newer style door latch:

IMG_7558.jpg

What I did was use some wax from a babybel cheese, and pressed it onto the back of the latch, then I put the latch on the door and then closed the door, Then I opened the door from the handle leaving the latch in place. This also aligns with where I saw other people having to put their latch.

IMG_7564.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

And then....doors!

IMG_7566.jpg

IMG_7567.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

A pillar trims on and starting to assemble interior.

IMG_7598.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

Got one fender on, I thought I had two red fenders, turns out I have 3 red fenders, but they are all drivers side fenders, and I also have 2 green fenders, both drivers side.......dammit. And I passed up the chance to pull an aftermarket red fender, or a stock green fender at the junkyard last week.....dammit dammit.

IMG_7601.jpg

Hopefully one of those fenders is still at the junkyard.

Aug 1 2020:

Ok so not a lot of MJ work has happened in the past 6ish weeks. I've been traveling quite a bit during this time so I wasn't home to work on it.

So now I'm back into it.

I finally found the headlight buckets I robbed off of my patio decor YJ grill. Last night I installed new adjusters the buckets, and the LED headlights that I robbed off of my VW. Now I am very close to being able to install the hood, which then will allow me to adjust the fenders to get the gaps between the hood, fenders and header panel right.

But....I got no ****ing idea where I have hood hinges. I saw one around somewhere but I haven't seen two. So that might be yet another junkyard part I have to grab if I cannot find it.

And, I'm not sure what happened to the hood latches/springs that go in the corners in the MJ. So thats something else I need to dig up. So I'm really close to having the whole thing finalized on the front, but I gotta find some misc little BS parts before I can do that.....argh.

IMG_8443.jpg

And....its already time to start trimming:
IMG_8439.jpg

Finished getting the drivers seat belt install figured out. These are the newer seat belts and you have to trim the mounting bracket, and flip the pivot point and bucket so the retractor can be flipped to clear the B pillar trim. I'm going to be leaving trim off since I need to get my headliner figured out and that needs to be installed before the rest of the interior trim. But the seat belt is functional now.

IMG_8440.jpg

I actually even drove it up and down the street, I used the parking lot of the elementary school to adjust my headlights a little bit and then drove it back over. might have only been 1000 yards or something but I actually drove the damm thing! I got my plates for it, but haven't gotten insurance setup, and my cat is still held in place with bailing wire. I'm going to get a section of exhaust pipe and push it behind the cab, then mount that and drive to the exhaust shop.

IMG_8442.jpg

Ok, so you might not be able to tell, but I washed it, especially the doors, they had years of dirt built up on them for sitting outside for about a decade. I had to really scrub some parts to get the ingrained dirt off, and found out that the drivers window has weld splatter on the outside, WTF? so now I sort of want to replace that glass. I might have one.

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

Then I had to cut this much off of the raised sway bar end links. They were cutting into the tires near full lock! I still need to drill a hole for the end link, but........ My quick disconnects are way too fukking long! They are fort a lifted jeep but I forgot the quick disconnect is for connecting to a stock sway bar bracket.....doh! So now I need to modify the end links.

IMG_8449.jpg

Finished getting the dash together.

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

I replaced the backlight for the shifter gates with LEDs, I think they are too damm bright!

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8455.jpg

And......4wd indicator works correct for the harness I had to build!
IMG_8457.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

I also found the hood hinges, and the latches. So tomorrow I will be working on getting the hood installed and adjusted.

Plus.....rear bump stops, evap canister........and other stuff.

And, I bit the bullit today, ordered a double din touchscreen fancy head unit, the double din radio bezel, new speakers, and a backup camera!

I got this HU, which had me with the power button!
Dual-XDCP97BT.html

These rear speakers:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC464/Kicker-46CSC464.html?omnews=11718430

These front speakers:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC504/Kicker-43DSC504.html?omnews=11718430

This backup camera:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CUB15/Crux-CUB-15.html?omnews=11718430

And this double din bezel:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956554B/Metra-95-6554B-Dash-Kit.html?omnews=11718430

Gonna be sweet when its in! Should be here tuesday so I can get on it.

Ok I found all the hood parts I needed and got the hood on and the panels gapped. Oh and installed a new hood to cowl seal.

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8461.jpg

Dat Gap:
IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

Then I removed the side stripe:
IMG_8466.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_8468.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8473.jpg

I figured out a good place to mount the carbon canister. I'll need to run some hose to it from the tank and the engine evap solenoid, but now I'll be able to keep the CEL off and not worry about passing emissions since its legit 100% factory emissions equipment.

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

So I placed it, marked 3 holes, drilled and tapped them, then used some factory M6 bolts to screw it in. Then I took a spare engine bay metal line, that was shaped nothing like the U I now have, and then straightened it and bent it into a U. Turned out nice.

IMG_8476.jpg

Got the underhood light mounted!
IMG_8478.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

Horn works. Cruise control lights up when turned on, but havent tested yet. Tomorrow I'm going to try and grab some exhaust pipe from a local place and then get the cat installed, and then I can get it over for the complete exhaust.

I ordered a bunch of rando **** today, some usb power stuff so I can put a charging port in the center console, some heat wrap. Still lots to do, but its getting damm close to being able to drive.

Now I sort of dread the things that are going to pop up once I start driving it. I just want it to be done and working, but I know I'm going to have the debugging/shakedown phase to get through as well.

I got a pair of these ordered to replace the interior lights located in the B Pillars:

https://www.partshubdirect.com/eura...-12v-auto-courtesy-flip-interior-light-a-7180

s-l64.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I also have the overhead console, and a KJ cargo light that will go in the headliner. Should be plenty of light in the cab with all that!

Ok so I got a temporary bit of exhaust in shoving the cat further back, the final location will change a little based on where the muffler needs to sit when the exhaust shop does it.

IMG_8483.jpg

And then with the exhaust semi-permanently installed I can actually drive it on the road. So I ran down to Orielly to grab some tubing I needed for radiator overflow and the carbon canister. First trip was to the parts store!

IMG_8484.jpg

Grabbed some pics during the golden hour:

IMG_8486.jpg

IMG_8487.jpg

IMG_8488.jpg

IMG_8489.jpg

IMG_8490.jpg

IMG_8491.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_8493.jpg

So then I got a generic tent pole kit and made a new support pole for the wildernest, my friend with an MJ and wildernest measured his pole for me, both length and girth, and was even kind enough to send me an unsolicited pole pic. Using that I was able to make a replacement. Though I have to say my pole is now longer and thicker and blacker than his pole. Not that we care about such things in this day and age.

IMG_8495.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8497.jpg

Which means I was finally able to put up the wildernest and have it stay open!

IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg

So tomorrow it gets a windshield, next friday it gets exhaust. And tonight I work on stereo.

It's getting closer and closer! Driven it about 20 miles not. I need to get a different speedo gear though. Pricey SOBs, I need to figure out what I need and get it ordered.

Ok so I got a USB surface mount connector with 2 usb 3.0 ports in it. I drilled a hole in the center console insert and mounted it in there, then I took another surface mount USB power outlet and soldering some wiring into the power outlet(right side) of the switch panel which is always hot. I plugged in one USB cord to that power source, and the other I ran up to plug into the back of the radio.

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

Then for the double din kit you have to trim a little and tap it over since its the air ducting. The right side just barely doesnt clear, so I just heated it with the heat gun and pushed it over. My headunit wasn't a fill depth deep so I didn't need to cut it all the way back, though what I did didnt really save me any effort so if I did it again I would notch the whole left side out anyway.

IMG_8505.jpg

And then radio installed:
IMG_8507.jpg

Already planning a trip:
IMG_8508.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

And...I now have a windshield:

IMG_8511.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

And then tonight I got the speakers installed, as well as new clips on the door panels to hold them on nicely. Forgot to take any pics of the speaker install, but you can still see the rear interior speakers.

IMG_8513.jpg

Glad to see you back updating this thread. Sad to see you ditch the Diesel. I'll be interested in your liek or dislike of the 8.8. We put one in my Son's MJ and I hate it They are just too narrow IMHO. He had a wheel spacer fail and it destroyed a rim and the spacer.

Back