• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Cheap Crawler

I had a 91 Astro and later a 91 S-10 Blazer, so I know that it's a good engine but I'm curious...why did you pick that over any other engine? Was it for the powerit makes + how easy they are to come across cheaply?

The 91 Astro was bought brand new by my parents in early 91. When they separated a year and a half later, it became a DD for my dad. She took it in their divorce. By then it was 5 years old and had over 130k miles. My dad took good care of it - regular oilchanges, tune ups, filters...all the basics and that's alliteverneeded.

5 years later she drove it across the country to give it to me. She said it was "serviced" before the drive and I even found the reciept in it that said the van was prepared for a cross country drive. Well, she always was a cheap lazy *^%$*, never had oil change or tune ups done. She gave it to me with 215K miles.

A few weeks later I did a tune up only to find plugs that were worn out to more than DOUBLE their gap, stuck PCV valve, clogged fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor that were worn to almost nothing, dry rotted spark plug wires, black water thin oil, and an air filter that was caked over completely with dirt and oil what ever else you could imagine (1/3 of the round filter was caked 1/2" thick on the outside ofthefilter...

AND IT STILL RAN FINE.

Of course, after I replaced all that stuff it wasn't sluggish anymore. The van ran great, plenty of power, and when we drove it back across the country almost a year later we were pulling 20-ish mpg.

Engine finally seized without warning at 242K miles.

So yeah, even through a ton of abuse, those engines are still great.

madmax said:
can i get an update
Project aborted and in new hands for further building. Maybe JJ will keep us informed.

I wonder if this will be Rolling Dent 2 :looney:

Back