• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 2000 XJ (Daily Driver)

Let me preface this by saying that one advantage of buying a new vehicle is that you can stay on top of maintenance and repairs. One disadvantage of buying a used and neglected vehicle is the plethora of minor/major problems that can oftentimes be inherited, which can be a little overwhelming. Our XJ is no exception; it has a lot of repairs that need to be made. And since the Jeep is our daily driver and weekend workhorse, I’ve been trying to avoid too much downtime. In other words, I’ve only been addressing these “minor” problems once they’ve turned into critical problems.

With that being said, the underside of the Jeep is coated with oils from several leak sources. The leaks have certainly become an issue, especially for someone who’s a little OCD. Now that winter is here, this is a good time to start tackling some of these leak problems. Here’s a list of items that we found leaking!

Valve cover gasket
Oil Pan Gasket
Rear Main Seal
Front crank shaft seal
Transmission Pan Gasket
Transmission Cooler Line
Oil Filter Adapter
Power Steering Pump
Thermostat gasket

After evaluating what needs to be done, and knowing that one leak is no better than the other, we're going to start on top of the engine (valve cover gasket) and work down.

I’m not sure how much the aluminum valve cover with cooling fins will dissipate engine heat, but I thought this would be a good time to add one! I also like that it brings some color to the engine compartment. Included is the mounting hardware, gasket, and oil cap.

Crown Aluminum Valve Cover
Part # 3020323ALR

ValveCover003_zps6e313a1a.jpg

how is your valve cover holding?

Mine has baeen leaking around the vents and around the plug ever since

So how did you like the new headers? Did they make a noticeable difference? Right now I am torn between headers, rear disc conversion, or the currie steering.... idk what to do next to my jeep.

So how did you like the new headers? Did they make a noticeable difference? Right now I am torn between headers, rear disc conversion, or the currie steering.... idk what to do next to my jeep.

Rear disc brake conversion would be my vote out of those 3 you listed. One of the best mods to any Cherokee.

Diesel,

Do you have a picture handy of your rear shackle angle? I'm planning to mirror several aspects of your suspension and purchase the OME CS033RB leafs and JKS Shackle.

I'm wondering if a shackle relocation kit will be necessary or not.

Diesel,

Do you have a picture handy of your rear shackle angle? I'm planning to mirror several aspects of your suspension and purchase the OME CS033RB leafs and JKS Shackle.

I'm wondering if a shackle relocation kit will be necessary or not.

My apologizes, I did not see your post until today. I'm actually getting the shackles installed tomorrow. I will post pictures sometime within the next few days. Again, sorry for the delay!

I will be increasing the amount of towing and towing capacity. Additionally, I will now be towing on road and at higher speeds. I have no choice but to add a stronger hitch mounting point for the increased capacity and safer towing.

septic001_zps4daa0178.jpg

septic006_zpsdac84999.jpg

XJbumper003_zpsb4cb2091.jpg

XJbumper002_zps89ee9d18.jpg

I've been known to tow some heavy loads. This picture was taken before I added the chassis mounted hitch receiver:

33846874134_large.jpg

I have that hitch on my XJ as well. Not a huge fan of the mounting hardware.

I will be switching to the JCR nutserts next month, hopefully. Just have to remove the rear bumper.

JKS shackles
* Specifically designed for the Cherokee.
* Specifically designed to optimize rear suspension travel (The extended length and boomerang design allows full compression and extension of the leaf springs)
* Increases rear ride height by approximately 1” inch
* Rigid one-piece construction prevents premature bushing fatigue, a common problem on Jeep Cherokees with inferior shackle designs.
* Greasable Dura-Thane™ bushings and hardware are included for the chassis end of each XJ Shackle for smooth, quiet operation and easy lubrication.
* A durable powdercoat finish is applied for corrosion resistance.

33846874250_large.jpg

33846874249_large.jpg

33846874248_large.jpg

It was time to level the Jeep.
Shackles002_zpsd6138b40.jpg

Shackles003_zps42df45b1.jpg

Shackles004_zps682e9a2d.jpg

Shackles005_zpsaf46ad7e.jpg

Shackles006_zps6311fe3f.jpg

Per instructions, you guys are correct. They should be reversed! I'll get that fixed! :D Thank you for catching that!

I'm happy with the chassis mounted hitch. I replaced the 11" inch drop for a much shorter drop. Now I can get back to work!

Misc007_zpsf3f4228e.jpg

The shackles helped bring up the rear.

Misc004_zps3babe81d.jpg

Time for a new power steering pump.

PSC Motorsports 97-06 Jeep 4.0
High Performance Replacement Pump w/ Reservoir

waterpump004_zpsef588b66.jpg

waterpump002_zps5badbede.jpg

The steering pump is installed! For those who are considering a remanufactured pump vs. a new steering pump, my suggestion is to go with the NEW PUMP. Trust me, I went through 3 pumps in less than one year.

Misc002_zpsc2ec0926.jpg

So are the electric fans keeping your rig cool? What temps are you seeing?

The electric fans seem to be doing their job. I haven't taken any coolant temperature readings, so I can't report on the exact numbers. I really need to get a ScanGauge. My UOA report doesn't show any signs that the engine is running too hot.

Here's my first update since spring! The Jeep worked hard all summer and surpassed 190,000 miles on the odometer! It spent most of it's time at low speeds hauling logs, brush, stumps, firewood, duff, etc.

HaulingStumps021_zpsc85a3d35.jpg

HaulingStumps019_zps6ff8f158.jpg

20140705_115449_zps1744ba26.jpg

Morepropertypics007_zps50a72146.jpg

Morepropertypics010_zps4f37bdd2.jpg

Lightlightening028_zps70b1d061.jpg

Lightlightening025_zps617a3586.jpg

Lightlightening023_zpsb0317532.jpg

Back