• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Programmers?!?

Most will tell you that there isn't much if anything to be gained using a programmer or chip on the 4.0. I wouldn't spend money on one unless you have some serious (stroker, FI) modifications done.

I loved the Jet 2 on my 94(obd1). I tried the Hypertech HPP3 on my 96 and the only thing it did was ping, set codes, and erase the codes it set(worked fine on a guy's 97 TJ). I then used a Jet 2 on my 96 and it did a little--maybe a 1/4 of what it did for my 94. There's the new Hypertech Max Energy, the DiabloSport, Superchips, Edge Trailjammers, and more, but I haven't seen many reviews here, so don't know if they're good or not. So from me and I guess Dino: JET2 for obd1 is thumbs up.

From my personal experience. Jet stage 1 on my 2000 just made it slower and when you step on it, it just makes more noise.... Took it off, and it woke up again. Tried hypertech power programmer III and it made a slight difference, but nothing to brag about and that's with 93 octane tune.

97 to 01 PCMs have the code completely locked down. You can not change anything IN the PCM. You can, however, lie to it... That is how we are convincing it to provide more fuel for the supercharger and to get it to retard the spark. We lie about TPS and CPS signals...

just sayin.

hmmm.. ok thanks. i've done my reseach on this and i could never find any good feedback. looks like im stuck in the same spot

You could always regear - I have and I think gradon did too. It was the most cost effective mod I've done. If you have a manual transmission just grab an 8.25 axle (and front if you have 4wd) out of a 97+ auto.

Ive had awesome results from the egde trail jammer full set up, cold air throttle body and programmer

I have been skeptical of that "pack" of things. Obviously a CAI and a TB will give you real gains, I just worry that the programmer is more for show.

I'm overgeared with the 4.10s, so essentially have a 4.5 speed. I had auto 3.55s before and that was nice. I'm gonna go down to 3.73s somewhere in the future cause I like to be in 3rd while cruisin around, not 4th.

I have been skeptical of that "pack" of things. Obviously a CAI and a TB will give you real gains, I just worry that the programmer is more for show.
I've looked at their supposed dyno sheets and they are saying you get something like 20hp at the wheels from their "pack", which is complete BS. And that device you plug in is not a programer but a signal modifier. It plugs into the IAT and MAP sensors. It works similar to a basic MAP adjuster and relocating the IAT sensor.
I'm overgeared with the 4.10s, so essentially have a 4.5 speed. I had auto 3.55s before and that was nice. I'm gonna go down to 3.73s somewhere in the future cause I like to be in 3rd while cruisin around, not 4th.
What size tires are you running? I have 31s and eventually would regear to 3.73 or 4.11s.

97 to 01 PCMs have the code completely locked down. You can not change anything IN the PCM.

Not true. kolak can send it off to a company ( can't remember the name or where it is now) and they will modify several things for you. Here is alist of some of the mods done to mine:

Increased speed limited from 114 mph to 254 mph (a bit optimistic there)
Pushed the rev limited from 5300 to 6000 RPM (won't matter to me as the TCM controls the shift points)
Increased the idle from 648 to 700 rpm
Turned the torque management off
Turned stall torque off
Adjusted fuel map
Cylinder misfire code mil only to off
Ac compressor kicks off for 10 seconds at WOT (didn't even know they could program that, but neat)
Set cruise control range 30mph-130mph

Not true. kolak can send it off to a company ( can't remember the name or where it is now) and they will modify several things for you. Here is alist of some of the mods done to mine:

Increased speed limited from 114 mph to 254 mph (a bit optimistic there)
Pushed the rev limited from 5300 to 6000 RPM (won't matter to me as the TCM controls the shift points)
Increased the idle from 648 to 700 rpm
Turned the torque management off
Turned stall torque off
Adjusted fuel map
Cylinder misfire code mil only to off
Ac compressor kicks off for 10 seconds at WOT (didn't even know they could program that, but neat)
Set cruise control range 30mph-130mph
you should be idling around 700-750rpm stock.. you might want to look in on that.

However Dino likes his plug in Jet chip.

I used to like it but in retrospect I think I was just deluding myself. It worked fine for 10 years but I removed it 4 years ago when it started to malfunction, causing the rev limiter to cut in at 4500rpm. On the dyno I gained up to 9lbft of torque from 1500-3800rpm and lost only 4hp peak-to-peak after I removed it. The JET chip was only producing more power above 4500rpm and really wasn't worth the money I paid for it.

Just stick to the stock PCM programming unless you have a radical stroker engine or forced induction set-up. Even then, you're better off with a programmeable piggyback computer such as the Unichip or the Split Second FTC. Those off-the-shelf "power chips" or programmers that have a fixed canned tune are basically a complete waste of money.

on 27" with the 255/60/15 Bridgestones. When it's time for new tires, I'll be looking for a 17x8-9" w/~5" BS wheel and run 255/50/17s, which are also 27" tall.

Back