• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with a new OX locker

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
We are putting an OX locker in a 2001 TJ with a dana 44. After pulling the old carrier out and putting the ring gear onto the new OX carrier we noticed that the base for ring gear mounting on the new carrier is about 1/4" more towards the center of the axle than the old one. There was no way to get the carrier back into the axle housing since the ring gear was too close into the pinion. It has me thinking that the locker was made to work with a lower ring and pinion set than this one. It has factory 3.73 gears in it. Does anyone know if there is more than one type of locker made by ox for the D44.

1990XJ4x4 said:
We are putting an OX locker in a 2001 TJ with a dana 44. After pulling the old carrier out and putting the ring gear onto the new OX carrier we noticed that the base for ring gear mounting on the new carrier is about 1/4" more towards the center of the axle than the old one. There was no way to get the carrier back into the axle housing since the ring gear was too close into the pinion. It has me thinking that the locker was made to work with a lower ring and pinion set than this one. It has factory 3.73 gears in it. Does anyone know if there is more than one type of locker made by ox for the D44.
time to regear? Looks like the OX is made for D44 for 3.92 ratios and deeper.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...=DRI&prodline=2175&catName=Drivetrain&man=OXL

When he ordered the stuff, it was from 4 wheel parts. He told them that he wanted an ox locker for a 2002 TJ with a dana 44 with 3.73's and everything needed to install it. They sent a locker that wouldnt work and no install kit (no shims, no nothin). I think they hired some people that worked at pep boys to answer the phones.

1990XJ4x4 said:
When he ordered the stuff, it was from 4 wheel parts. He told them that he wanted an ox locker for a 2002 TJ with a dana 44 with 3.73's and everything needed to install it. They sent a locker that wouldnt work and no install kit (no shims, no nothin). I think they hired some people that worked at pep boys to answer the phones.

Call em up and raise some hell!

but first go double check your ratio. AFAIK TJ's never came with 3.73's. but rather 3.07's. yup 3.07's, auto or stick. at least in all the TJ's I have worked on.
but they didin't pay attention to the carrier breaks. and sold you an OX. you should have a right to a full refund because they didn't sell you what you asked for. even though its not available.

Rawbrown said:
but first go double check your ratio. AFAIK TJ's never came with 3.73's. but rather 3.07's. yup 3.07's, auto or stick. at least in all the TJ's I have worked on.
but they didin't pay attention to the carrier breaks. and sold you an OX. you should have a right to a full refund because they didn't sell you what you asked for. even though its not available.

not positive on that ratio, thats what my friend who was doing most of the work said. I havent even gotten my hands dirty with this one, i came in and laughed at him for getting the wrong parts. Oh well he's going to 4.56's in a few weeks.

The really funny part about all this is how it got started.

1.) We go wheeling and he shreds some spider gears
2.) Orders a quick lock and has a buddy put it in
3.) Quick lock is installed wrong causing a mess
4.) He decides he wants a selectable rear, but is afraid of reliability of ARB
5.) Orders the new parts without doing his homework
6.) tonight when the parts came in, they tried to install it without getting new shims etc
7.) now he has over $1100 worth of rear end parts and a jeep that wont move

The current short term plan is to get some new spider gears and a new stock carrier to get it on the road. In a few weeks we will be putting in 4.56's and the OX in the rear. This time i am going to make sure he buys ALL the RIGHT parts that he needs before digging into it.

I am confused on the shims that your talking about. shouldn't need any shims. when you pull the bearings off the D44 carrier you take the shims with it and put them on the new carrier.
1990XJ4x4 said:
not positive on that ratio, thats what my friend who was doing most of the work said. I havent even gotten my hands dirty with this one, i came in and laughed at him for getting the wrong parts. Oh well he's going to 4.56's in a few weeks.

The really funny part about all this is how it got started.

1.) We go wheeling and he shreds some spider gears
2.) Orders a quick lock and has a buddy put it in
3.) Quick lock is installed wrong causing a mess
4.) He decides he wants a selectable rear, but is afraid of reliability of ARB
5.) Orders the new parts without doing his homework
6.) tonight when the parts came in, they tried to install it without getting new shims etc
7.) now he has over $1100 worth of rear end parts and a jeep that wont move

The current short term plan is to get some new spider gears and a new stock carrier to get it on the road. In a few weeks we will be putting in 4.56's and the OX in the rear. This time i am going to make sure he buys ALL the RIGHT parts that he needs before digging into it.

Rawbrown said:
I am confused on the shims that your talking about. shouldn't need any shims. when you pull the bearings off the D44 carrier you take the shims with it and put them on the new carrier.
Yeah, but were all carriers created equal? I thought that when you do a full carrier locker install you ussually have to re-setup the gears.

No, not really.
If you look at the instructions for putting a locker in, youll notice that they typically show you to set it up with the old shims the way it was. you only need to verify that the pattern is correct and the BL setting is correct when you are installing just a locker. except for ARB's which do come with shims.
And when you say re-setup the gears. To me that refers to resetting the pinion depth.
Kejtar said:
Yeah, but were all carriers created equal? I thought that when you do a full carrier locker install you ussually have to re-setup the gears.

Rawbrown said:

My brother in laws 99 TJ came with 3.73 gears from the factory with a 4.0 manual and 30/35.

Back