• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-97 vs. Post-97 8.25 axle?

You'll still need to replace the carrier as the opening for the axle shaft is bigger on the 29 spline. The 29 spline shafts won't through the hole in the 27 spline carrier. At least that's what I've read.

This is true. I tried changing the side gears and axle shafts from a 29sp and found out the carrier had to be replaced too, so I just swapped axles.

As far as strength goes the 8.25 is very stout, even ericsxj is still running an 8.25 in his. Even on the d-35 I've seen more spiders blow before the c-clip gives.

The d-44 is a nice axle,If you can find one. But for the money the 8.8 cant be beat. Unless you find a small one it has 1 more spline on the shaft than the 44 and the ring gear is bigger. Aftermarket is crazy with parts for it too. And if the c-clip still scares you, the 8.8 has one of the cheapest c-clip eliminator kits I've found.

All of this being said, I am still running an 8.25 in my jeep and just got done regearing it. You just have to look at how you want to drive it. Than decide what you can afford.

just my $.02

This is true. I tried changing the side gears and axle shafts from a 29sp and found out the carrier had to be replaced too, so I just swapped axles.

Even on the d-35 I've seen more spiders blow before the c-clip gives.

Thanks, i didn't know that. The R/P will work though right?

The shafts on the D35 are suprisingly big, but it was the spiders that blew in mine. I had the non c clip so i can't atest for it's strength....

Just a point for reference. A large number of 96's have 29 spline 8.25 rear ends from the factory.

Thanks, i didn't know that. The R/P will work though right?

The shafts on the D35 are suprisingly big, but it was the spiders that blew in mine. I had the non c clip so i can't atest for it's strength....

You also need to replace the bearings, thrush washers, and as said above your carrier. I would go ahead and throw in some alloy axles. The weak part on the 8.25 seems to be the axle where it narrows down. However I run a 8.25 27spline converted to a 29spline on 33' TSL's with 4:56's, Aussie, and Yukon Axles. I would say i wheel pretty hard and it holds up for me.

Does anyone have the MOT and COT of the 8.25" for that chart you referred to? I have seen the ratings once in the past and cannot find them anywhere.
The reason for asking is that I have a 27 spline that I have run 32's on for a couple years with no issues. I decided to go the route of upgrading the 27 (bad move in most eyes) due to already regearing this axle and all seals/brake parts. I found a cheap new lockrite for it and decided to go with alloy shafts for insurance. Haven't installed yet. I am assuming if the 29 spline is approx. 20-25% stronger than the 27 spline in shaft strength alone...by adding alloys (1541h), I should be at 29 spline stock strength or stronger? Right?

Does anyone have the MOT and COT of the 8.25" for that chart you referred to? I have seen the ratings once in the past and cannot find them anywhere.
The reason for asking is that I have a 27 spline that I have run 32's on for a couple years with no issues. I decided to go the route of upgrading the 27 (bad move in most eyes) due to already regearing this axle and all seals/brake parts. I found a cheap new lockrite for it and decided to go with alloy shafts for insurance. Haven't installed yet. I am assuming if the 29 spline is approx. 20-25% stronger than the 27 spline in shaft strength alone...by adding alloys (1541h), I should be at 29 spline stock strength or stronger? Right?

I would agree to that. For the money you could grab a carrier and some shafts at the 29 level for a few bucks more though.

As a side note; The Model 20 diff was run in H1 Hummers at one time.
Also missing from that list is one of the most popular diffs ever; the Ford 9".
Now let's not forget one of the best ways to solidify your diff is with an aftermarket diff. cover, which helps prevent the ring and pinion separation.
The D35 is just crap all the way around in any configuration.:nono: -B

I would agree to that. For the money you could grab a carrier and some shafts at the 29 level for a few bucks more though.

I had this in mind, but I found a 27 lockright really cheap (could always sell it I guess), but with the new carrier I would still have to pay someone to set the backlash on the ring gear. I figured that by just going with the alloys, I could do this all myself and still be as strong as the 29 spline? I still feel like I am doing too much to this axle for what its worth. Hope it doesn't let me down.

I had this in mind, but I found a 27 lockright really cheap (could always sell it I guess), but with the new carrier I would still have to pay someone to set the backlash on the ring gear. I figured that by just going with the alloys, I could do this all myself and still be as strong as the 29 spline? I still feel like I am doing too much to this axle for what its worth. Hope it doesn't let me down.

Valid point, with alloy shafts on 32's you'll be good to go. When you step up if you do, the locker and shafts will be easy to sell. -B

Back