• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PRE 2005 GRAND CHEROKEE IS THE NEW FORD PINTO!!!!!

Yamadevil

NAXJA Forum User
This was a article in aol news they are saying the most unsafe vehicle and possible recall due to burning down. there is a video i haven't seen yet but if you want it is on the home page in the headlines. Funny note is the tank on the XJ is the same place.

The Center for Auto Safety, an advocacy group, is calling for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall up to 2.2 million Jeep Grand Cherokees sold between 1993 through 2004 because of what it claims is a gas tank design that makes the SUV much more prone to lethal fires in rear-end collisions.

The call for recall does not include Grand Cherokees made after 2004 because of a redesign that addressed the gas-tank issue. Specifically, when the popular SUV was overhauled, the gas tank was moved from the position between the rear axle and the rear bumper to a spot in front of the rear axle and shielded it.

From an engineering standpoint, all modern cars and SUVs place the gas tank in front of the rear axle. In the event of a rear collision, the heavy steel axle serves as an important buffer to keep the gas tank from rupturing and potentially causing a fire. In many accidents involving a ruptured gas tank pieces of metal drag on pavement as the vehicle is pushed across the road, causing sparks, which tend to ignite leaking gasoline.

"For the Center for Auto Safety, this is the most dangerous vehicle on the road today and we want it recalled," said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the advocacy organization.

The Center says that at least 55 people have died in crashes where fire was "the most harmful factor."

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is investigating the vehicle's safety, declined to comment on the Center's crash test.
YTljZjgzMDlhMDI2NCZvZj*w.gif

Chrysler disputes the Center for Auto Safety's test results. The company claims the Center's test was "three times as severe" as the government standard, and that the old Grand Cherokee design meets or exceeds federal standards. A company spokesman added that rear impacts resulting in a fire are rare, and do not occur at a greater rate than they do for other SUVs.

It is not the first time the Center for Auto Safety has gone after car companies over models with similar gas tank designs. In the 1970s, the Center investigated the Ford Pinto for the same design. And more recently, the group went after the Ford Crown Victoria, which for many years has been the vehicle of choice for police departments and taxi fleets.

There have been numerous lawsuits over all three of these vehicles.

Jeep is a brand of Chrysler LLC, which also markets Chrysler and Dodge brand vehicles. At the time the vehicles were made, the company was independently owned, or part of the DaimlerChrysler Corp. Chrysler's German owner redesigned the Grand Cherokee to move the gas tank to the preferred location in the vehicle, a move the Center for Auto Safety says shows that engineers knew it was a problem that needed correcting.

Legally, however, a company does not admit that a previous design was flawed just because it makes changes or improvements. If that were the case, companies would never change their designs.

Today, Chrysler is controlled by Italian auto company Fiat, which is in process of buying out the U.S. government stake in the automaker that occurred in 2009 when the U.S. Treasury helped keep Chrysler afloat with loans and an equity position. Chrysler went through bankruptcy reorganization in 2009.

Fiat-controlled Chrysler is liable today for damages awarded by courts involving accidents with vehicles that were built on or before June 10, 2009, when the ownership transfer took place.

So.. 55 people have died since 1993? Most cities do not change traffic signs/light for that amount of fatalities.

we have them some here in california(seat belts) but i can tell you it is a bad idea. being as how i run a service dept of a school bus dealer and i see all the drivers i would say if there was ever a fire or overturned bus and the kids start freaking the fat ass driver that drive these things could not get all the kids free in time to save lives

55 kids have died riding school buses, i still dont see seatbelts?

Hmm, not sure what state your in..but our newer school buses have lap belts now & a little more space between seats! Not sure what year they were made but they've been around for almost 2 years now...

Seriously? 2 years, only newer buses - one state. That's hardly a shift on the level of a major nationwide automobile recall. xj-scott's comparison is pretty valid (even considering that such a move would probably bankrupt school districs if a retrofit were mandated). Nevertheless, OT ...

I wonder if this is the same as the Crown Vic.

See the Crown Vic has a tendency to rupture and cause fire... When you're at a dead stop and are hit from the rear at 75 mph. Yes, police cars get those kinds of hits occasionally but you can't expect a motor company to design a vehicle to take that kind of abuse, that's lethal speed there.

I like how they say the 2005 redesign was strictly for the fuel tank when we all know that's when the WJ became the WK, a very major redesign.

Before I bought my 02 Grand I looked into this issue. With 2.2 million Grand out there for those years and there has been 55 deaths, the odds are more likely for me to get hit by lightning or hit by a train. I also have the heavy duty skid plate on mine and the tow package with both help protect the tank. The odds of mine going up in a ball of flames is a lot less then someone with a standard laredo but I guess still a possibility.

My buddy Dave lost his 00 grand when a maserati owner decided to pop the clutch out as soon as the light turned green and hit him. couldn't have been more than 4 feet or so that it moved but his bumper broke the tank and his hood tweaked the rear of the jeep enough that insurance totaled it out.

Back