• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-Slip vs Lock Right

Some of you guys are confusing. Powertrax (Richmond Gear) makes both the Lock-Right and the No-Slip, so when you say Powertrax.......which one are you talking about? :)

^^ Exactly. For the 29sp 8.25, your only option is the no-slip, which is the better locker anyway. You could get an Aussie, but I'd rather pay a bit more and trust a company that has been making gears and lockers for decades.

Just my .02 I have the Lock Right in my 8.25 27 spline and it almost makes me hate driving my jeep on the street. If it were just noise it would be fine, but from what people tell me locally it's working right but pops hard about 30 times in a 3.5 mile drive to work everyday.

Just my .02 I have the Lock Right in my 8.25 27 spline and it almost makes me hate driving my jeep on the street. If it were just noise it would be fine, but from what people tell me locally it's working right but pops hard about 30 times in a 3.5 mile drive to work everyday.
Mine did that just before it failed completely. You better get that thing out of there before it leaves you stranded.

Mine did that just before it failed completely. You better get that thing out of there before it leaves you stranded.

It's not slipping, it's actually unloading, so from what I can tell it's working right. I've had it out in the last month just to look and there's no indication of wear at all.

If it were offroad only I wouldn't worry about mine, it's awesome in the trail. Just that it's my dd so it's 95% street and the unloading is killing me.
I do sometimes get a kick out of scaring the crap out of people in traffic as it makes a loud boom and snatches to the right. Keeps people out of my blind spot for sure.:roll:

It's not slipping, it's actually unloading, so from what I can tell it's working right. I've had it out in the last month just to look and there's no indication of wear at all.

If it were offroad only I wouldn't worry about mine, it's awesome in the trail. Just that it's my dd so it's 95% street and the unloading is killing me.
I do sometimes get a kick out of scaring the crap out of people in traffic as it makes a loud boom and snatches to the right. Keeps people out of my blind spot for sure.:roll:
The wear is not totally obvious on these, the teeth may look O.K. but if there's any rounding of the teeth it will slip. It should not "unload" when driving straight. What happens is that at light throttle there is not enough torque applied to the center pin in the diff to force the driveplates hard enough against the axle shaft plates in the locker and the teeth will slip. This caused the corners of my locker where the pins go to chip out and the locker became unstable in the carrier. If it pops going in a straight line, it's worn out.

It's not slipping, it's actually unloading,....

...,it makes a loud boom and snatches to the right,...
That's not "unloading".

When you go around a corner, the outside( side of the vehicle on the outside of the corner, . The right side making a left, turn, left side making a right. ) dog clutch disengages as that driver moves off the pinion shaft. The clicking you hear is the Coupler sliding over the teeth on the driver. That's normal unloading

When you hear a loud "bang" or "clunk" it's caused by the INSIDE Driver (the one under load)slipping on the Coupler's teeth. The lurch to the side you feel is the opposite side wheel pushing the vehicle when the previously unlocked dog clutch catches and picks up the load.

If you're consistently lurching to the right, it's the right side clutch that's worn out, and the left side engaging is what pushes the vehicle to the right. 'Probably time to slap the spider gears back in.

That's not "unloading".

When you go around a corner, the outside( side of the vehicle on the outside of the corner, . The right side making a left, turn, left side making a right. ) dog clutch disengages as that driver moves off the pinion shaft. The clicking you hear is the Coupler sliding over the teeth on the driver. That's normal unloading

When you hear a loud "bang" or "clunk" it's caused by the INSIDE Driver (the one under load)slipping on the Coupler's teeth. The lurch to the side you feel is the opposite side wheel pushing the vehicle when the previously unlocked dog clutch catches and picks up the load.

If you're consistently lurching to the right, it's the right side clutch that's worn out, and the left side engaging is what pushes the vehicle to the right. 'Probably time to slap the spider gears back in.

I've always felt like it was screwed up from the word go, but others I know here have said it sounded normal, regardless the thing has less than 8000 miles on it, and it pretty much feels like a waste of $360.00.

The one I ran went probably 20k miles before it ever did one of those "bangs". Did whoever put it in measure the side clearance after the original install? That's an important step that gets left out sometimes.

I did the install and checked clearance. The clearance was also still in spec last month when I pulled it back out to check it.

It's official the lock right is toast. Round teeth, broken bits, all kinds of nasty. However the clearances are all still good. Next call is to Lock right

I just finished pulling the pockrite outta my 30 to put some spiders back in to make it last til the hp60 is done. the holes where the 4 dowel pins go were elogated big time and one was broken. caused the typical banging and craptastic noises. all in all, it did its job for around 4 or 5 years on 35's with a handful of broken shafts.

I just finished pulling the pockrite outta my 30 to put some spiders back in to make it last til the hp60 is done. the holes where the 4 dowel pins go were elogated big time and one was broken. caused the typical banging and craptastic noises. all in all, it did its job for around 4 or 5 years on 35's with a handful of broken shafts.

At least you got that long out of it. I bought mine on april 14th 09 and didn't install until the end of may, so about 7 months:explosion

it started making some noises at the start of the last run i went on. got about halfway thru and exploded the short side shafts and ball joints. that seemed to pretty much do it in, the noises got worse after that.

Just destroyed the lock right in mine as well day before yesterday on the street. I have 4.56 gears and 34 inch interco trexxus tires, by the way. Turned a hard right, and pow! No more workie....

Mine was less than a year and I got a return number from Lock Right and it's on it's way back to them. Maybe I'll get good news.

Back