• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering sucks at low RPMs

I discovered I have the same issue this past weekend at Redbird. Redbird can require 27 point turns at times, most of which involve hills. While on the trail, steering would get very hard to turn. I could put the jeep in Neutral, rev the engine and I could then steer just like normal. I also have a power steering cooler that sits in front of the condenser. I also had my electric fan pulling air through it all the time.
My symptoms only occur while on the trail. I've never had issues on the road. Occasionally, when I first start it up after setting for a long period of time, the steering is tight for say 50 foot or so.

I checked out the rebuild kits. It dosen' look like they would benefit me. The ones I seen were basically just seals and o-rings. My pump is not leaking, and it is full. The steering box however, has been seeping for some time now around the output shaft.

Hale

I haven't spent too much time driving this rig, but I know it happens when the fluid is cold and warm... maybe not hot :dunno:

My pump isn't leaking either and I don't think it's low enough to make a difference.

I don't know jack about power steering, but I only see one connection between the engine RPMs and the steering... and that, of course, is the pump. :dunno:

Billy

well I know my old ranger idled around 950-1000. I would say try raising your idle a bit. also if you do make sure u rev it a few times i adjusted my idle on the old truck and the peddle stuck to the floor...a scary experience at the least.

I had the same problem happening. It was always at idle speed, but very intermittently. Revved a bit and it steered ok.

Pump had internal wear.

This may sound dumb, but have you checked the belt tension? If it's loose, it could be slipping on the power steering pump (also could be a worn pulley?) leading to a loss of power?

I've used a bottle of Lucas power steering fix before to help a friends' pump that was making a horrific noise, and it really helped; might not do much, but another possibility to try, especially if the fluid is ancient.

id bet the pump is bypassing you can add some lucas oil thickener to it as a bandaid temporary fix if it isnt to far gone but your better off swapping it out with a new/rebuilt one

Mine has plenty of Lucas in it. When I've been topping it off over the past year or so, that's what I use.

On another note, the steering boxes can be rebuilt correct? Purchase a kit from NAPA and DIY, no?

Hale

Gerr said:
yes a steering box can be rebuilt and its not to hard but can take some time and can be a pita to get to set right

Getting it centered the PITA?

Gerr said:
keeping it in place while you finish assembly. oh wait im thinking of a difernt pump no the xj one is simple

I bet there is a write-up somewhere. I'll have to snoop around.
Thanks!

Hale

pauldo39 said:
This may sound dumb, but have you checked the belt tension? If it's loose, it could be slipping on the power steering pump (also could be a worn pulley?) leading to a loss of power?

I've used a bottle of Lucas power steering fix before to help a friends' pump that was making a horrific noise, and it really helped; might not do much, but another possibility to try, especially if the fluid is ancient.

Yeah, I checked the belt... it's plenty tight. Pulley looks good.
Thanks,
Billy

I bet that Dodge Durango box upgrade would fix this.

I too have weak/slow power steering performance at low idle. I have a new pump installed, but the same old gear box (1992 with 170k).

One day I'll do the upgrade and see if that was the cause.

Back