• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump - popping sound

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
Power steering - popping sound

Hi,

Just did a search and found little pertaining to my problem.

The facts:

I'm having a loud popping/knocking sound coming from my power steering pump. This occurs during noraml steering, but more prevelent during full lock steers. I've also noticed there has been some sticking/binding during normal driving, like the sterring system is catching on something.

All steering componets are clear and nothing is rubbing. The gear box and track bar brackets bolts are tight. Nothing is loose and everything looks fine.

There has been no whining, or loud pitch noises.

My Assumption:

I believe my steering gear bos is going out. It only started making these pops and noises after wheeling at Paragon. So, is it normal for a failing box to be making these noises? Is it only a matter of time before the box fails? For now, steering seems fine, minus the noises.

Could it be my ps pump is failing?

Any comments, advise or guidance much appreciated.

TIA,

jc

P.S. '97 XJ, 4.0L

Last edited:
even though the track bar bracket is tight, it still seems as though the track bar is worn out. it has a ball socket on one end and that usually wears and creates that kind of noise. one way to check it is to have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the pivoting joint. if that moves excessively up and down, it is bad

I have a RE Trac bar. I did check for loose bolts and all seemed fine. I inspected the ball joint area and it seemed fine as well, however, I'll double check.

I'll also double check the box bolts. I guess there's a few hiding and not on the side of the frame.

Thanks

jc

Back