• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Flush?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
:helpme: I just got my oil changed today and the dealership (I only go to the dealer because I get cheap coupons for oil changes) said my powersteering fluid looks like mud...but Im not gonna pay out my *** to have them flush it. Anyone here know how to flush the powersteering fluid?
cheers.gif

There are two hoses on your power steering pump, a High Pressure line to the gear box, and a low pressure return line to the reservoir. to flush, you disconnect the low pressure line from the reservoir, put a cap on that so the reservoir doesn't leak dry. then place the low pressure return in a bucket under the car. make sure your reservoir is full, if it isn't, top it off. then have someone else start the motor and turn it off as soon as you see the powersteering reservoir run low ( this will take about 3-5 seconds). If you are quick and then you can keep the reservoir filled while the power steering pump pumps the old fluid through the gearbox and then out the return line, into your bucket. You will want to run a extra P/S fluid though your system so that it will remove some of the old stuff out of the gear box. I don't remember how much PS fluid i went through when i did it a year ago but i remember going through quite a bit (6quarts maybe). I had replace my ps pump and i went on and got new hoses (high pressure hose is 28 bux from AdvancedAutoParts and the return hose they cut for me from bulk hose for 5 bux). Your hoses damage from the inside more than on the outside so they may not be in as good a condition as they look. If you get air in your system, your power steering will seem very weak and probably noisy after you flush it. I beleive the way i read to fix that was to turn the wheel all the way to one direction an hold it there for a while and you will hear the pump moving fluid and bubbles. then go in the other direction. ( my powersteering was weak after i did the flush b/c i did it by myself cranking the motor for a second, turning it off, and going around to fill up the reservoir. i'm sure i got air in it and had weak steering after, the turning the wheel and holding fixed it). FYI, i saw my dealer charges 65 bux for a powersteering system flush. Its a lot of money when you can do it in the price and replace all the new hoses and go through ample PS fluid... but it saves you from a headache and from getting dirty.

Last edited:
How about just sucking it out with a baster (from the kitchen) and adding new. It's not the same as flushing, but it's probably good enough. I mean, you don't flush your oil.

the baster approach is definatly easier and i actually would have done that had i not had to install a new pump and lines. which added air into my system. If you just empty your reservoir and fill it, once a week for a month of two, you will eventually end up with cleaner looking and better performing ps fluid. Every time you empty and add ps fluid however, you are at best mixing 1/2 new to 1/2 old ps fluid. and then after that mixes, you are actually going to be removing 50% new ps fluid next week when you remove what in the reservoir again. ( and the gearbox holds more fluid than the reservoir so you are actually not even adding 50% new like i say in my over simplification). it is however a much easier approach, that deserves merit if you have no problems with your current system other than dirty fluid.

Last edited:
AlabamaDan said:
How about just sucking it out with a baster (from the kitchen) and adding new. It's not the same as flushing, but it's probably good enough. I mean, you don't flush your oil.
That's what I've been doing once a year.

^x4

i did this method a couple years ago when i bought my xj, except i had a buddy turn the wheel lock to lock while i kept the resevoir full

turn the wheel until clear/new fluid starts coming out, shut the motor off, re-attach the line, and you're good

Anyone ever seen an XJ without power steering ?

1985xjlaredo said:
Anyone ever seen an XJ without power steering ?

my pressure line once poped while on the highway, running the pump dry and frying it. i did in fact have no powersteering does that count? :laugh3:

ontopic. like mentioned above; i like to have a friend sit and turn the wheel lock to lock back and forth, disconnect the return line into a bucket and use a funnel with 5 quarts(if not more) of fluid at arms reach. just dont let the pump run dry.

I've done this method with Rack&Pinion Steering, so I don't know if it will work with the Jeep Recirculating Ball, but how I understand it workings it should work just the same.

Just like above, you disconnect the return line and run it to a bucket. But, let the reservoir run dry before capping it off. Put the front axle up on jackstands, so you can easily turn the wheel without power steering. Just turn the steering wheel lock to lock, the P/S box will pump the fluid thru the system and out the return line. No need to start the motor and risk doing damage from running dry or getting air in the system. I usually add a few ounces of fresh fluid and pump it thru the system to flush out every trace of old fluid. Then reconnect the lines and fill, while turning the wheel lock to lock to pump it thru and get all the air out. Start the car, run for a while, then check the fluid level and top off as necessary.

I'm going to try this in my XJ within the next couple of days, I'll let you know how it works out.

NOTE: Air in hydraulic systems can cause a HARDOVER, basically an air can get in one side of the piston/servo but not the other side, air bubbles stick a valve, etc, basically the piston could drive to full stroke uncommanded. That means its possible the steering wheel could spin to full lock in one direction with extreme speed and force.

So while you do this job, you should be careful, and watch out for this HARDOVER. If you happen to stick your arm between the spokes of the steering wheel to turn the ignition key or put you foot right up against a tire, and in the rare case the steering hards over, you break some bones.

Turkey baster and 2 quarts of power steering fluid. Turn the wheel lock to lock about 10-15 times, preferably with both front tires off the ground. Remove/replace fluid until the 2 quarts are gone, power steering fluid should now be sparkling clean.

Back