• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power/comfort transmission switch

I've got a 97 with no switch, does anyone know if the harness is there to add the switch in the newer year models? I do a fair amount of extended 40 mph only in town with stock tires and would love to be able to have it lock in for these times gas mileage sakes.
Anyone have the wiring diagrams to see what circuit is being opened/closed on the TCU?
Are the newer TCu's the same pinout at the harness connections or did the hardwire occur on the circuit board of the tcu alltogether?
Thanks for replies !

mike71800b said:
I've got a 97 with no switch, does anyone know if the harness is there to add the switch in the newer year models? I do a fair amount of extended 40 mph only in town with stock tires and would love to be able to have it lock in for these times gas mileage sakes.
Anyone have the wiring diagrams to see what circuit is being opened/closed on the TCU?
Are the newer TCu's the same pinout at the harness connections or did the hardwire occur on the circuit board of the tcu alltogether?
Thanks for replies !

As far as I know the HO's are already set-up to run in the "Power" mode.

I think that I found my answer. I was looking only for the usefull feature of locking the T/C when cruizing under 45mph. Keep in power mode since it applies pressure to the clutches faster, just pressing comfort to lock in the T/C when b/t 35 and 45 mph for trafic jam situations.

The following thread has everything I was looking for.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96461&highlight=comfort+switch

Explaining how pin 11 on the TCU is either to ignition always for sport only, or interupted by the comfort switch on models with that option.

If I find brown on pin 11, I'll pull it and see what I get.

Does the switch run through a fuse in the fuse block that may be listed as something else. My light doesn't come on and I can't tell if its working or not. I have a 1988 4.0L w/ 242. Does this year even use this option or is it there to fill a hole.:helpme:

Don't mean to hijack, but on my 88, the switch used to work and I used it on long trips or when I was pulling my trailer. For the last couple of months it hasn.t worked, Do any of you know what would cause this to happen? Thank's for your help and sorry for hijacking. :confused:

Switch contacts fail. They also short out. If they short out, the TRANS fuse will be blown in the fusebox and it reverts to Grandma/Comfort mode. I removed the unplugged the switch. I then made a short, one wire jumper harness between the two of the three terminals on the harness. One wire was tan and the other had a stripe. I think the colors may have varied over the years. I know the color was different on my 88 Cherokee from my 90 Comanche. Just don't jump to the black wire. That's a direct ground. Popped the switch back in so everything appears normal...........

Bringing back old thread but good info on TCs, Figured out what a couple things I've noticed before were too. Though I was a little confused on the exact differences between power and comfort mode still. Comfort mode locks the converter up sooner for cruising while power dosn't? i thought it would be the other way around since in power you want hard contact and shifting while for comfort want a soft contact and shifting. Though in power mode it's not slipping as much since it's not a loose contact on the clutches? what?
i have noticed before (in power mode) when down shiffting into 3rd while cruising down the high way the rpms will jump up like normal and then after about a sec drop a couple hundred rpms which I beleive is the TC locking up. Correct?
I have an over compulsive disorder with watching the tach rpms and watching my throttle input and now I'll have one more thing I'll be listening for and stressing over lol. At first i was imagining flipping the switch while accelerating and flipping it back when at cruising speed when i started reading this thread lmao.

Well one thing to think about is with the TC unlocked you have more torque to work with, and thats whats needed when towing.

Like I said before a better name for that switch would have been "Power", "Economy"

Well one thing to think about is with the TC unlocked you have more torque to work with, and thats whats needed when towing.

Like I said before a better name for that switch would have been "Power", "Economy"

I think "Power/"Granny" would be more like it. The factory eliminated the "Comfort" mode in later years. If it could have hurt MPG in any way, they wouldn't have done it.

i have noticed before (in power mode) when down shiffting into 3rd while cruising down the high way the rpms will jump up like normal and then after about a sec drop a couple hundred rpms which I beleive is the TC locking up. Correct?

That is correct. The down shift (by throttle or linkage operation) unlocks the TC first, shifts, and then relocks the TC in that order.

Back