• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Potts Mountain Jeep trail, April 7th

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm putting together a trail ride on Potts Mountain for April 7th. We will meet at the Liberty/Burger King(114 Sheraton Dr, Salem, VA 24153) at 9am and caravan to the trail head at 9:30 sharp(I won't wait!) which is 35-45min away in Craig County VA.

The Liberty/BK is just off of I-81 in Salem and its a good place to pick up final supplies and gas before heading to the trail head.

A couple of notes;
Potts Mountain is considered a state road and all rules apply including no alcohol, rig must be tagged and insured and the driver must have a valid drivers license.

You will need recovery points front and rear
You need to carry a fire extinguisher, tools and a first aid kit.
You should carry any "rig specific" parts that are known to leave you stranded.
You need a spare that matches your tire size you are running.

Your rig needs to be in top running condition as it will be challenged in some spots.

You need at least 31's to even have a chance at clearing any of the rocks up there.

We will be on the trial at 10:30 and we will break for lunch at the field around 1pm

I may cancel the ride the night before due to weather/trail conditions, I practice "tread lightly"

Post up if you are interested. This thread will be posted on several forums so we should have plenty of rigs and a good time!

As of right now I have 3 XJ's and a JK going.

No one on here has any interest? Its a great, challenging trail with some scenic overlooks!

I'd love to go Jon, but my budget just won't allow it. I've seen the pictures from previous rides and it looks like a great trip.

I'd love to go Jon, but my budget just won't allow it. I've seen the pictures from previous rides and it looks like a great trip.

Ed, I understand, it would be a long haul for you just to trail ride. Gas ain't cheap!

Wish I could..if I end up getting the new job things will change and I'll be able to finish the heep!

Hey, been there-done that! I put off my Jeep habit for years raising my family, its just been in the last 6 years or so that I have been able to play at all.

Count me in on the next one. I am buying a new XJ this weekend. I have to go through it first. It is a 2000 with I believe a 6.5" RC long arm kit under it with an 8.25 out back and a HP 30 up front running 33's. There is a sye on it and the front drive shaft is missing (not good). I gave it a short drive and the engine/trans feel good, but I have no idea what I'm buying yet, however I couldn't refuse for the price.
As soon as I feel good about it I'd like to start playing with my new toy.

Count me in on the next one. I am buying a new XJ this weekend. I have to go through it first. It is a 2000 with I believe a 6.5" RC long arm kit under it with an 8.25 out back and a HP 30 up front running 33's. There is a sye on it and the front drive shaft is missing (not good). I gave it a short drive and the engine/trans feel good, but I have no idea what I'm buying yet, however I couldn't refuse for the price.
As soon as I feel good about it I'd like to start playing with my new toy.

Will do! I will plan another trip for the summer or fall.

Everything is still a go! The weather looks great, sunny in the 60's. The trail is open confirmed by Mrs Park Ranger Lady herself (called on Monday, gates opened last Friday)

Our club (SWVa4W) has a clean up for Potts next weekend so I will be picking up as I go through since I won't be there for that function.

Looking forward to a great day on a awesome trail!

The Jeep is packed and ready, tank is topped off. The one part that I will need is not in it and its ready to go!

As of right now I have (1) JK Rubicon, (3-5) XJ's.

There will be others that will just show up and I expect the trail to be busy.

See you all in the morning if your making the trip!

We had our trail ride yesterday. Unfortunatly the trail is blocked half way through by a large blow down, too big and dangerous to move with a winch.

We turned and went back out and then around the mountain back into the top. A lot of seat time!

Sometime during the day yesterday a fire has started on the mountain along the trail. We aren't responsible, no smokers in our group, no campfires were lit, the jeeps all have exhaust on them so I don't know where the fire came from, I just know it wasn't us.

The unfortunate thing is that the trail is now closed indefinitely after only being open for a week.

We did not take any pictures or video, we were moving fast to cover as much trail as possible.

That sucks! I was hoping to take a trip down there next month...hopefully it'll reopen.

The trail has only been affected for a short section. Its closed right now because they are using it as a fire break and to move people and equipment.

It will re-open and I will be one of the first up there

After hearing about the fire in your area,I wondered if it was before or after your ride. Seems it was after, We have a fire up here too.Wolf Gap Rd. started at the camp ground and has now spread(doh) considering the high winds we have had for the past few days.
No off road trails involved ....unless you hike...

After hearing about the fire in your area,I wondered if it was before or after your ride. Seems it was after, We have a fire up here too.Wolf Gap Rd. started at the camp ground and has now spread(doh) considering the high winds we have had for the past few days.
No off road trails involved ....unless you hike...

The fire started sometime during our trip. The FS is saying it was called in at 4:30 but I have video from the overlook that shows smoke at the other end of the mountain around 2:30. We all thought it was campfire smoke and was closer than it actually was. They are saying arson along the jeep trail, not good, I would like to beat that person severely. This is our last trail in the area, all the rest have been closed for things less than this. It pisses me off.

They close Potts, I'm selling my Jeep, no reason to own something that you have to drive hours to enjoy.

The trail that runs from Coal Road to the parkway should be open (labeled "jeep trail" on FS maps) , pretty decent trail in stuarts draft

thats only an hour and a half from you right?

After spending the week aiding in the fire investigation I finally have time to post but I do not have good news. The fire has grown to 2800 acres, still in wilderness. There are some dwellings that are close to the fire but the firefighters are doing a great job keeping it at bay. The fire is burning mostly ground cover and dead wood, live trees are singed but will survive. The jeep trail has been affected but last word is that it has survived the worst of it and most likely will re-open. Our club hopes to be the first ones up there when it does to asses the damage and do a clean-up if possible.

The cause of the fire is still not determined but they do know it was "human set" and was possibly "human error".

I hope they catch the person(s) responsible and hang them from the tallest tree on that mountain and I would be glad to kick the horse out from under them.

I'm pissed to say the least. Our fun day of wheelin' was marred by someones carelessness or evilness. The mountain/Jeep trail that we all love has been affected and the damage will be long lasting. The 4x4 community has been blamed for this fire and those of us on that mountain that day have all been investigated. Working with and cooperating with federal marshals is quit the experience, they are good men doing a difficult job. I'm doing all that I can to help as well as all of the other off road enthusiasts that were up there.

Lets just hope that justice is served and the Jeep trail stays open.

Back