• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly a stupid question ... but...

RockyCodeHead

NAXJA Forum User
So I put a rebuilt longblock into my truck in Oct. have about 500 miles on it.

The truck started burning coolant and overheating. Hydrolocked once but eventually it turned over.

I pulled the head and found that I have signs of preasure loss between #2 / #3 and #3 / #4 with 4 being the wettest cylinder. 1,5 and 6 were all completely dry.

I noticed when pulling the head bolts that the bolts between 2,3 and 4 (four bolts) they were not really tight, basically they were fairly snug. The rest were tight like I expected.

So, I am wondering.... Is it possible the bolts somehow stretched? Should I replace the set? I checked at the parts store and they didn't list them which would indicate I shouldn't need to replace them when doing a new gasket...

Thanks!

Uh yeah, they do stretch, but that's a planned event. It sounds like the assembler may have gone to lunch before completing the torque sequence.

I have not been that deep into a 242, and my Haynes only goes to '91, but I'm seeing torque specfications. That combined with no bolt sets readily available makes me think these are not that "torque-to-yield" crap. Unless someone with real information chimes in (I seem to bring em out) I say clean up the old bolts and re-use them. Make sure you chase and clean the threads in the block as well.

Also, flip the block over and re-torque your rods and mains. I have learned through others that you can't especially count on the last person to do the assembly right.

If you don't mind my asking, where did the reman come from?

Stock bolts are fine to reuse. Unless you are running a blower or turbo. I just put a new head gasket on my XJ. The motor is from a 94. Yeah sounds like someone didn't tighten bolts enough. Start in the middle and torque them in clockwise pattern. Start 22 ft lbs then 45 then 110. Except the driverside front bolt is 100 ft lbs put loctite on that one also.

Stang5lgt said:
Stock bolts are fine to reuse. Unless you are running a blower or turbo. I just put a new head gasket on my XJ. The motor is from a 94. Yeah sounds like someone didn't tighten bolts enough. Start in the middle and torque them in clockwise pattern. Start 22 ft lbs then 45 then 110. Except the driverside front bolt is 100 ft lbs put loctite on that one also.

Not LocTite. FSM calls for PST (a pipe thread sealer by LocTite) or equivalent - I've been using Harvey's PTFE "Pipe Dope" from the hardware store with good results. I also tend to torque in four steps - 22/45/90/110(100.)

Also, as I recall, the cylinder head screws were "torque to yield" all the way up - with a maximum of one re-use. Whoever reuses them is supposed to put a paint mark on the head of the screw - if you see that mark, get new screws. Cylinder head screws from any year should work - there were revisions to the ports and the addition of COP ignition, but the basic casting didn't change that much.

Note - if you just use LocTite on the front left screw, it will probably leak! You've got to use a thread sealer - any PTFE/Teflon paste will work for you, but it's got to be there. That screw hole goes into the water jacket of the block...

Back