• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible solution for coolant hose

old_man said:
I run the standard off the shelf heater hose. I just took a heat gun and warmed up the end and was able to slide it on.

i was just thinking that after looking at the different fittings. good to know it CAN be done lol. i may just get an adapter. but we will see.

Get a few feet of 5/8 at your local auto store. Replace them all. Thy are very old and weak at the connection. Do the Radiator Upper and Lower as well. My 96 is younger and has had a couple hose failures as well as heater valve. So I'm anal about my hoses and cooling system being in top shape

old_man said:
I run the standard off the shelf heater hose. I just took a heat gun and warmed up the end and was able to slide it on.

I did the same thing, except I heated and pushed it over a 3/4" socket to stretch it first, then got it on the heater core nipple.

yes... you do.

i had a TON of 5,000 degree paint sitting around [in yellow...] and the manifold was rusted and crappy. so i painted it [i had an extra just in case the paint didn't hold up] and its been fine. and looks a lot nicer too.

I could be very wrong about this...but...donesn't your hose need to "breathe"? Not fluid but heat? I say this because when I was in high school I painted all my hoses in my YJ with spray paint to make everyting look cooool. Well sure enough I started overheating and found out it was because no heat was able to escape through the hoses. Seems like a metal tube inside the hose would not allow this. Again I could be and probably am off. Just food for thought.
-Will

wkfrst said:
I could be very wrong about this...but...donesn't your hose need to "breathe"? Not fluid but heat? I say this because when I was in high school I painted all my hoses in my YJ with spray paint to make everyting look cooool. Well sure enough I started overheating and found out it was because no heat was able to escape through the hoses. Seems like a metal tube inside the hose would not allow this. Again I could be and probably am off. Just food for thought.
-Will

oh, im sure the hoses do need to "breathe".
i never painted mine though, and the pipe i was going to use was only going to be about 4-5 inches long, just to join the two pieces together.

but im just going to replace all the hoses anyway, since i know i can do it with hose clamps.

those crimps that go on the end....
how exactly are the cut off?

i assume i would just cut a straight line down the middle and bend so that it loosens up around the hose. [i am talking about the metal crimps at the end of the heater hose, that doesnt screw off] i want to get this stuff done today, but i don't want to mangle it in a rushed rage.

mcnamaag said:
IMG_0046.jpg

what brand hoses are those, or where did you get them??? those colored hoses sure do look much nicer than the black ones.

Its silicone. ( I came accross a lot of it and it works) Not real cheep but I have a bunch left. Maybe we can work something out if you need enuff to do yours.
:cheers:

Back