• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible economic riots/Martial law

Um....really, I don't see this economic situation as that bad. Personally, I haven't been affected at all - and it's nice seeing gas prices back to where they should be. I think the problem was the economy was super inflated to begin with - from house prices to oil/gas prices. Now, unstable parts have crashed, and things have gone back to normal - with the exception of house prices, which, despite the supposed "crash" of the housing market, I still see them as higher than "normal".

Too much is based on speculation. But I'm no where near smart enough to discuss this to any great depth.

I think its funny too, the gov't is cutting my BAH in 2009....but housing/rent prices here have stayed exactly the same, if not gone up slightly. Odd....

You folks talk as if there is an imminent danger of Society as a whole imploding. There is not. About the only thing which would cause widespread lawlessness is not the collapse of Wall Street, but the collapse of the Government and it's ability to uphold the laws we gave them to enforce.

Point #1.
I read the book "Left to Tell" it's about the Rhwandan genocide of the Tutsis by the Hutus. It was written from a young Tutsi woman's experience and the journey of her growth in faith and belief in God. When I read it last winter all I kept thinking was this country is ONE assination from falling into the same. It didn't take much to turn the Olympic Soccer Stadium at Sarajevo into a cemetery or the meltdown in the rest of the former Yugoslavian Republics either. These were productive society's at one point.

Point #2.
A majority of the US populace was upset with the response by the government to Katrina. It was an eye opener for FEMA, DoD, DHS, and other federal agencies, including the Coast Guard which had actually performed OK. Substitute Katrina with a WMD or Pandemic Flu outbreak in few a major cities and one cansee the concern.

Point #3.
GPS technologies. Hey it's cool. Let's get the sheeple of the country used to having it around. Rental cars, truckers, cell phones, tracking the teenage daughter. You think it's no big deal, cool useful technology. Big Brother get's you all accustomed to it before introducing it for nefarious activities. Same as "Crime Camera's", I don't plan to commit a crime, they'll keep me safe right? It's a plot to break down your resistance.

I think we should be concerned, cross training at the checkpoint, yes it is probably innocent enough. We do want our soldiers and Marines to be trained to conduct checkpoints befoe going to Iraq & Afghanistan. Should we as freemen be concerned, maybe not concerned but at least we should be wary. Thanks for pointing this out Indy.

Gotta go...I hear helicopters....

I didn't either, knew no one out of work until this afternoon, a neighbor I was talking with told me his wife was laid off last Friday.

Yeah...I don't know anyone like that. Uncle just got a promotion, and dad loves it because fuel prices for his log truck and skidder are nice...he's selling plenty of wood, because well, there's always a need for that.

Only thing kind of slowing him down is this whole global wa....CLIMATE CHANGE....damn cold as shit winters most places.

Dude, if it's a nasty situation then stealth is already out the window. Save the ninja stuff for the movies. ;)

I'm not talking ninja stuff, little things like subsistence hunting, in our area the food banks are almost depleted and illegal deer hunting has gone up a few hundred percent. In a bad situation where you may need to take a deer to feed your family the last thing you want is a loud bang at which point your neighbors may figure they also deserve a piece or more of that deer you just took. Hell, there are yearly incidents of hunters having their deer taken from them at gun point or threat. The more quiet you are the better. Just low profile stuff is common sense.

I'm not talking ninja stuff, little things like subsistence hunting, in our area the food banks are almost depleted and illegal deer hunting has gone up a few hundred percent. In a bad situation where you may need to take a deer to feed your family the last thing you want is a loud bang at which point your neighbors may figure they also deserve a piece or more of that deer you just took. Hell, there are yearly incidents of hunters having their deer taken from them at gun point or threat. The more quiet you are the better. Just low profile stuff is common sense.

That's why you take out the property owners and settle on their land. :farmer:

Our Government is much more subtle than that. The bill is presented to Congress, and WE take out Rights away. If you don't believe that's how it happens, examine how the Patriot Act was passed. Nothing was hidden from view, WE did that with eyes wide open.

Where do you get this "WE" thing from mister?

:looney:

I was screaming at that them and everyone I knew not to pass it.

Anyway, you made some very valid posts. Just had to bark at that WE comment, LOL.

Anyway, while the rest of you are worried about your next wildlife meal, stealth modes, big guns and trouble in the streets, I am and have been busy shopping for cheap (or for the first time in a long time reasonably priced) stocks for my retirement portfolio. One mans junk is another's gold, LOL.

There are some incredible deals out there right now, some selling for 20% of book value, and some with 20 to 45% annual dividends. :shhh:

When China and the USA cut loose with the huge new infrastructure spending plans many of these stocks will got back up by 10 to 20 times their current prices, like 2000% in a year or two. It is literally a once in a life time opportunity if you can pick the winners, or hell just a few winners.

With prices like these who needs a gun?party1:

I watched the crash in 1987 as it happened at a Fidelity stock computer trading counter. Scary stuff, but as the years went by I promised myself if I lived long enough to see one again, I would be ready to jump on any new bargains with some dry cash. Patience is a virtue I hear. Any way I am buying bargain basement solid stocks instead of guns, who is with me?

I know nothing about stocks or even how to buy them. I think when GM hit .50 cents a share a couple of weeks ago that would have been a good time. I'm also too busy learning my new job to even spend time on here, I'm just setting up my new cell phone and transferring my contacts list from one to the other then I'm hitting the hay, have to replace one front hub tomorrow on the XJ and then do all the ball joints on the TJ.

I know nothing about stocks or even how to buy them. I think when GM hit .50 cents a share a couple of weeks ago that would have been a good time. I'm also too busy learning my new job to even spend time on here, I'm just setting up my new cell phone and transferring my contacts list from one to the other then I'm hitting the hay, have to replace one front hub tomorrow on the XJ and then do all the ball joints on the TJ.

I must admit, it is a time consuming task to be an active investor, and the markets are too volatile right now to be a passive, buy and hold investor.

I will be taking a break to help my son finish the head job on his Vulcan 3.0 Ford Taurus engine this weekend, then on to 2 major brake overhauls (vac boosters and MCs) on my jeeps next weekend.......

I stashed a few dollars away in a Fidelity Mutual fund (money market) about 28 years ago, but it's growth rate has been pathetic and was headed for zero with a zero FED funds rate, so I am taking the plunge. I started studying finance, stocks, banking back in the early 1980's as a hobby.

I will say this, todays stock market is not for the timid of heart or the those with weak knees!

x2...the funny thing to me is how everyone freaks out when a stock drops a few pennies or even dollars....um, you still own the same amount of shares, you really didn't "lose" anything - it was all fake money to begin with...speculation....the only way you LOSE money is if you SELL your shares....

...it isn't rocket science. The prices will go back up eventually, and even if they don't, it just means everything was inflated to begin with, including the money you used to buy those shares in the first place.

I stashed a few dollars away in a Fidelity Mutual fund (money market) about 28 years ago, but it's growth rate has been pathetic and was headed for zero with a zero FED funds rate, so I am taking the plunge. I started studying finance, stocks, banking back in the early 1980's as a hobby.

I will say this, todays stock market is not for the timid of heart or the those with weak knees!

well if you get some good tips throw them out there. i've been buying some here and there, (Ford,GE,Microsoft,Waste Management) always looking for some more good ideas.

You're the only person other than my father that i've seen or heard say anything like that!

LOL...i'm not sure if thats good or bad, so...

:anon:

I didn't either, knew no one out of work until this afternoon, a neighbor I was talking with told me his wife was laid off last Friday.

Tom, you know me on a very informal basis. I was laid off the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

So who's more likely to riot? The "We want change, and the gov't didn't give me enough change" or "Well looks like we gotta tighten our belts and suck it up"

Tom, you know me on a very informal basis. I was laid off the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Sorry to hear that, hope the wait is short. The grocery store my wife worked at until a few years back is closing mid-January, that's another 30 jobs.

well if you get some good tips throw them out there. i've been buying some here and there, (Ford,GE,Microsoft,Waste Management) always looking for some more good ideas.

Well from some of what I have been reading, the dry shipping industry will be one of the first recover, and is one of the most beat up areas right now too.

Search the details on stock symbols DRYS EXM PRGN just to name a few, and the BDI, Baltic Dry Index, which is their leading daily economic indicator. They pay great dividends, and are selling for less than book value (like 20% of book) and at a P/E ratio of .5 to 1.5, but if Great Depression II arrives they may be over priced, LOL. I bought all three in the last 2 weeks.

My sister made about 20,000% return on DRYS the last 3-4 years. She bought low and sold high before the crash.

Back