• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible career change that could take me to Denver

... Cheyenne has me further intrigued. Not too far of a drive until I could move, and land is cheaper up north.

Don't forget that Wyoming doesn't have personal income tax either. They also have a much better understanding of the Constitution. Makes me wonder what the heck all of us are still doing living here. Sure they have a higher rate of alcoholism, but that just helps me fit right in. :cheers:

only other state I'm licensed in is Wyo... :eyes:

Wyo is actually an okay place. We have some friends that live in Jackson Hole and it's pretty nice (hella expensive though). The only thing I couldn't handle is the constant sustained winds they get.

there are spots that are far less windy... I ain't sharing though.

I thought everyone knew Wyoming blew and Kansas sucked. Is that not really how it is?

My initial reaction to Laramie and Cheyenne were less than impressive, but I honestly have only driven though. is there enough industry up there to support people?

One step closer guys. Just finished my Skills assessment test and Passed. Now on to the interview portion of the process. I'll let ya'll know how that goes after I pass it as well......haha.

Phil "may be flying to Denver for this next step" agony94xj

Good luck Phil. UP is a good company from what i have heard.

Thanks Rew. Nothings set in stone yet.

Good news today. Got a phone call. Looks like I'll be flying into Denver for an in-person interview on the 21st. Will probably be there the day before and maybe the day after as well.

I've been watching and researching (and renting) comparable housing to what you may be considering. All things considered (cost, convenience, crime, etc. and not expecting perfection), Lakewood and Arvada may be your best bets.

Specifically, N/W/NW portions of Lakewood and Southern parts of Arvada. The key is the garage, which I've also been trying to get (especially an attached garage.) Those two areas have roughly the age of housing that gets you the right combination of price and features: independently-owned/-managed duplexes and townhomes/condos built in the late 70s to mid 80s.

Obviously Craigslist will be your primary source but check out Padmapper.com, it has some good tools like driving distance by time (I enter 10 minutes less than my ideal based on my experience for traffic and weather.)

You want to stay away from driving I-25 at all costs. Especially travelling towards downtown Denver at rush hour.

As always, "caveat emptor", "if it seems too good to be true..." and all that. (There seems to be a concentration of scam housing listings around Sloan's Lake for at least the last couple years.)

Last edited:
Once it gets to the point you actually need a place, post some possible listings or PM me and I can do some drive-bys or extra photos for you after work. My current apartment is in Green Mtn part of Lakewood and I work in Southeast Lakewood and I like to explore and check out different neighborhoods for my own research.

Thanks Squarecat. I'll keep you updated as this whole process plays out. Meanwhile I'll keep looking in the N/w/NW suburb areas.

Phil

Arrived in Denver this morning. Interview day is tomorrow AM. To kill some time tonight I may catch a Rockies game. They seem to be doing well this year, plus they are playing the Giants. Should be a good game. I would check out some local bars, but I dont want to be hung over for tomorrow. Wouldn't look good. If I get the job then I will have plenty of time to check things out when I actually move here.
I won't have time to drive around and check out the area, I fly out tomorrow right after the interview process is done.

Welcome to Denver! You picked some rainy days. Other then that quick snow it's been sunny and 70's.

Good luck with the interview!

Thanks! It went as well as I could've hoped.

I was sitting in the hotel room yesterday when the storm came through. I saw gum ball size hail come down and cover the ground like it was snow. It was LOUD! I was in the cherry hills area right off 25 and Colorado blvd. Luckily the rental car company isn't going to charge me even though I did waive the damage waiver. I guess they figure that since so many cars came back with damage, they were gonna take care of it differently.

Now I'm sitting in DIA waiting for my flight back to Chicago @9pm. If the weather holds up I'll be on time, otherwise I'll be here awhile.

Here's to hoping you get good news.

Any idea how long it could be until they get back to you?

Nothing yet. When I know what the result is I'll let you guys know. Believe me I know its a great place to be. Is it weird that the two days I was there, it hailed and had tornado warnings each day? Hahaha

Back