• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Positives and Negatives of lift kit

Try to avoid the limits of the vehicle when off-roading, or else the forementioned bill payers won't like to invest in having to fix everything for you - and, I suspect, you won't have time/money to do it yourself. For the record, it's very easy to beat the crap out of an XJ once and not have any immediately noticeable problems, but multiple instances of excessive abuse tend to make things break....oh, and just because you have the clearance to drive slowly through a puddle, don't think that you can just gun it right through, especially if this puddle is more a small drop-off in a larger puddle (read: hydrolocking your motor sucks and impairs future performance).

I suppose the moral of this rant is if you ain't got the dough, then don't kneed the bread....or something like that........

I haven't been able to go off-roading in my XJ in about 6 months because of the last few times I went. I still need to repair/replace my rear leafs (or put a trac bar in with the Jeep jacked up to proper height), my shocks, my transfer case, and my tranny crossmember, not to mention my permanently unbalanced rims (rock marks from trying to get traction in any way possible - hung up on 2 wheels, no locking diffs, 1 wheel completely submersed, 2 mostly submersed, 1 submersed only to about the tire bead), etc.....and there's nothing worse than wanting like hell to go fly around in some sand dunes and jump some earthen mounds, and not be able to because the last time you went, you basically stressed every component of the Jeep way past their designed tolerances...

for those saying things about tow points, i have front tow hooks and rear hitch reciever already. Gas tank came with metal skid already on it, both bumpers were the steel kind, not the cheap ones. Im in the process of getting a front skid. And for all the others thank you for your input, it will be used in the discussion with my parents.

Hi,
I just recently joined NAXJA and like what I see so far. I have been browsing the web looking for the pros and cons of a lift kit which lead me to this site and I'm glad I found it. I have a similar question to the original poster; however, without the worry of my parents' controlling the insurance cash-flow. I am the owner of a 1997 Cherokee Sport. I've had it for five years and loved every minute of it. I never really considered myself a Jeep fanatic however until last year. Last July I went to Camp Jeep on the Road. It was there that I took my XJ on their Jeep Playground and came to fully understand the "Jeep Thing". Since then, I have been thinking about getting a lift kit, however I don't know the first thing about auto mechanics so most everything is Greek to me. A friend of mine who has a lifted Wrangler, suggested a budget boost. I looked into that and have done some reading and realize that if I'm going to get a lift, I'm not going to go the budget route. I don't want to look back 2 years from now wishing I had spent the money and gotten a quality lift. Here is the lift I'm looking at: http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=300SP&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit. I want to go with the $418. 300SP kit so as to have complete new rear springs.
Here's my question: apart from the pros and cons mentioned above, or perhaps including the ones above, what are the pros and cons? As of right now, I don't plan to go crazy offroading very frequently. I would like to attend a Jeep Jamboree however and perhaps do some offroading a few times a year. I'm looking more into the mudding aspect of offroading and not so much the rock climbing. This is my only vehicle and so it's my every day vehicle. I also want the lift so the Jeep will look nice and stand out a little more.
For the pros, I guess I'm looking for how it will handle and ride, and if it will be easily maintained.
As far as the cons, how much of a drop will there be in gas mileage? How easy is it to mess something up causing large repair bills? Will parts wear out more frequently and will I have to replace them more often? Should I expect to pay a lot more for the larger tires I'll need? What are the downsides in general? I'd really like a lift, but don't want to get in over my head.
One thing I've seen a lot of in doing my online research, are the amount of people who think that just because their Jeeps are now lifted, they're invincible. They push them past any normal limits and end up flipping them and breaking axles and such. I want to think that I would understand the limits of my Jeep and not overdo it. But I also know that as much as I say that I'm not going to go crazy and go offroading all the time, once I get the taste, it will be addicting and I'll probably go more often than I say I will now; which could lead to me taking more chances at certain things than I should.
Any suggestions or comments? They'd be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance,
Kal-El

NC4X4boy said:
for those saying things about tow points, i have front tow hooks and rear hitch reciever already. Gas tank came with metal skid already on it, both bumpers were the steel kind, not the cheap ones. Im in the process of getting a front skid. And for all the others thank you for your input, it will be used in the discussion with my parents.

factory steel kind? i say armor up everything, invest in good recovery gear. THEN lift/tires. but thats just my .02

Kal-El said:
Any suggestions or comments? They'd be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance,
Kal-El

Well to start off thats the exact same lift I have, on the same Jeep you have (if its np242, and aw4 with chryco 8.25)
I was in the same boat as you, but from the time I bought my XJ til the day I finally got the lift on.

Here's what my tiny bit of experience would add to whats been said here.
You say you want to mud more than rock. Well unless your happy driving thru the same hole or know a trail in a marsh I wouldn't expect to mud and only mud, especially with only 3" of lift and stuffing 33's in there.
Get your rig out on the trails where you are, find out what others in your area have for lifts, and make a plan about what you what.
3" of lift done, 31's or 33's? I was happy with my 31's for about a month than trimmed my fenders, tore off my flares and am waiting for funds to get 33's and another 1/4" of lift.
31's and stock gearing is ok, but I have the new gears waiting to go in too with the 33's. My milege really isn't any worse than before, but thats on the hi-way, in town its sad... can't change mpg to k's per liter but its not nice in town.
What I am trying to say is decide what you want to do with it by seeing whats around you, if your just doing some old logging trails, few puddles, maybe some rocks, with big holes n rocks in them then take all that into account and figure out your plan.
I didn't think I'd want to do rocks, than my buddy climbed a small rock cut cause I was stuck in front of him (overheated for a while) and he wanted to keep going for a while... now I wish I could do that too.
As stated already many times, if you just want to raise it up and toss some bigger tires for looks and usability offroad go for that lift. but that will lead to so much more, things that once bought may be replaced months down the road. armour, skids, tow points, and lockers are around for a longer time than a 3" lift after being out with some 4.5" 5" and/or 6" long arm suspension guys.
spend your hard earned money wisely, I have made a few mistakes since I started this and wish I had planned this out and had found a place like this site to read up, question, learn and investigate all my ideas before acting on them everytime I got paid.

or go crazy
6" with long arms, 35" MT's, armour under and around, new bumpers front n back, winch on the front and call it a day.

First off if it was my youngling i would let him as long as he respects what he has and is willing to put forth the effort to do it all himself (wrenching).
Im surprised they say no, what u want to do with it is a good constructive hobby. Or destructive, everyones gotta have a a first rig (or beater).
Pay your own insurance.
And save yer money.
Pay for it yourself.
:viking:

Convincing parents to modify any type or car, truck , or Jeep is hard. All vehicles are investments and from experience (most) parents know to protect the investment by not modifing it. It sames them hassle and money. Also sometimes insurance is really bad about claims on any type of vehicle that is modified.

Now if your leafs are sagging and you shocks are terrible then done correctly sure the lift might even make you Jeep ride better. But overall lifting it will only be positive for off-roading. With a lift comes decreased gas mileage, high COG, new noises, and other problems that might have been fine at stock height but are now noticeable at 3-4" of lift.

Some more advice to always have a "Just-in-case-fund." You can ask everyone it is not just as easy as spending $500 on a lift and calling it a night. Make sure when you lift the Jeep you have money for new wheels and tires, alignment, extended sway bar links, shims, and extra U-bolts. That is just to name a few. Ever heard of Murphy's Law..?

I have a novel idea for you, that had worked in my past.

Talk to your Parent's and make a deal with them. You do ten things that they want and you do ten things you want.

They will ask for good grades A's & B's, clean your room, don't stay out late, get a job, etc, etc. After they see a few of these items you will get rewarded with things that you want.

My guess is that they are just like my parents were. My dad always said that Jeeps were accidents waiting to happen, only morons drove them. I listened then and now as an adult, i have had a few Jeeps. I get what i want, when i want it. Listen to them as they are your parents. Do a few things to make them proud and show that you can take on more responsability. After they see the change and know that you are not going to kill yourself, ask for a few small things and work up.

Just remember to think!!!!!!!!!
Two seconds before you try an obstacle that all your friends are too chicken to do, but are ranting for YOU to do, remember how much time and effort it took to have TRUST with your parents. Is it worth killing the trust and your rig over a dum obstacle?

NO. Do the right thing for now. I'd get some 31"s that look great, get some armor, and have fun. In time, you will get what you want as long as they get what they want too.

I think that you are going about this the wrong way. There is no bit of information that will convince skeptical parents that lifting your rig is a good idea.

Instead, I recommend a more indirect approach. Take Dad wheeling a few times. If he gets into it, you can be sure that the "a lift kit is a waste" mentality will change quickly.

Just a thought. K.

great thought, i never had to go through that with my dad, my dad was the origional owner of my 94 and when i was a baby even he would take me up to the local wheelin' spot. but my mom was a little skeptical, and my dad didnt wanna give the ok until she said it was cool (lol) so i just told her that 4.5-5 inches of lift will give me room for bigger tires which will increase traction and stability (she doesnt know about center of gravity and all that though) i also told her that, being higher than all the other cars i would be safer if, god forbid, i ever did get into an accident.

at the time my parents were paying my insurance so i just said "dad, mom, you can just take off all insurance except drivers and (i forget the other one, the one for other people and their property) so collision is gone and everything else, so it goes way down"
she reluctantly agreed, and after seeing it lifted she thinks it looks great,

plus it ensures that you will not spend your time doing drugs lol believe me with all the stuff your goin to want to do to that thing, spending money will be out of the question

Back