• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PORC SYE - My Review

well I just put an order in for mine. $263.33 CAD it came to. I really hope this works for me at my 4.5" lift height and a stock front shaft. obviously I'll need something custom when/if I decide to go bigger.

bcsavage said:
i know this thread is old and I'm sorry but no one seems to want to answer my question anywhere else.

with the PORC Sye kit, did you need anything else in the form of an adapter flange or what-have-you to bolt up a front DS? I'm on the verge of clicking "checkout" right now but want to make sure my arse is covered.

A front XJ shaft will bolt right to the SYE.

For what it's worth, my front driveshaft is at least an inch shorter than my Tom Wood rear driveshaft, and that's with my front driveshaft extended some due to the lift. I'd say that it's around two inches shorter when it's compressed to normal length. Is the PORC yoke longer than the AA yoke? If I would have put a front driveshaft in the rear of mine, I would have had to stretch it pretty good.

well I've got alot of my slip-yoke pulled out of my tcase and the vibration is annoying. Worse case scenario, I need this SYE no matter what, so that purchasae is all good. I've just got my fingers crossed that a front ds will get me by until such time as I go higher and HAVE to buy a DS or will last long enough back there at it's current state until I can afford a custom lengther.

bcsavage said:
well I've got alot of my slip-yoke pulled out of my tcase and the vibration is annoying. Worse case scenario, I need this SYE no matter what, so that purchasae is all good. I've just got my fingers crossed that a front ds will get me by until such time as I go higher and HAVE to buy a DS or will last long enough back there at it's current state until I can afford a custom lengther.

If you have an 8.25" rear diff you can get 2 different length pinion yokes for it. My 94 and 95 used the shorter one. I switched to the 1/2" longer one. I also found that the rear axle stuffs better if you redrill the spring perch on it to move the axle forward another 1/2". The rear tire then stuffs centered in the rear wheelwell. These mods combined with a YJ slip yoke and proper driveshaft angles allowed my '95 to run 5.5" of rear lift without a SYE.

If you would use the longer 8.25" yoke and relocate the axle, the SYE with a stock front auto driveshaft it would allow for more yoke engagement.

One of the other things a D35 has a shorter pinion length compared to a 8.25" diff. This would cause the front driveshaft to possible be too short for the swap.

I plan on doing the SYE/front shaft swap on mine when I redo a HD transfercase for it.

ok well I am on a d35. I already ordered the sye and I just got back from the wrecker with a front shaft. Gues I'll have to wait and see when the sye comes in what's going to happen. How hard is the swap to an 8.25" rear? Is it the same bolt pattern for the wheels? Guess I've got some more research to do when I get off work tonight :S

bcsavage said:
ok well I am on a d35. I already ordered the sye and I just got back from the wrecker with a front shaft. Gues I'll have to wait and see when the sye comes in what's going to happen. How hard is the swap to an 8.25" rear? Is it the same bolt pattern for the wheels? Guess I've got some more research to do when I get off work tonight :S

You just need bigger u-bolts. You should replace them anytime you remove them. Look for a later model one with the 29 spline shafts if possible.

Any 8.25 is way stronger than a D35. I wouldn't recommend anyone to keep a D35 if they wheel, it's just asking for problems.

You need to shim your rear springs anyway, so you'll already need the u-bolts.

Last edited:
To clarify my above post (since it's too late to edit it), I have an 8.25" in mine. Mine was manufactured in March '96, so there's a slight chance that I have the 29-spline axles, but not much.

Panthers65 said:
First off......Great Quick Write up, and thanks for the compliments!

Although you said you didn't need them, I do apoligize for the lack of instructions in the box. All kits should come with the instructions for the install. If anyone else receives a sye kit without instructions just give the shop a call and we will get you the instruction sheets faxed over you to ASAP. Again, thanks for the good publicity, and your purchase, we really do appreciate it!

Brent
Performance Off Road Center.
What do you have for a NP242 SYE?

There are only two options for a 242: The RE Hack&Tap, or the Tom Woods SYE. He cuts and resplines your shaft and modifies the cone. Last time I knew, he didn't have any core cones so you had to send yours in.

TNT said:
You just need bigger u-bolts. You should replace them anytime you remove them. Look for a later model one with the 29 spline shafts if possible.

Any 8.25 is way stronger than a D35. I wouldn't recommend anyone to keep a D35 if they wheel, it's just asking for problems.

You need to shim your rear springs anyway, so you'll already need the u-bolts.

I'm thinking 8.8 or fook it and just work on bringing my full-width project together sooner (right now it's just an idea but I don't see the point in putting a bunch of money into an axle swap that's going to get swapped out again later on).

Back