• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PORC SYE - My Review

RickyN29

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finished up my SYE install, so I thought I would share my opinion/tips. I did the SYE / Front DS combo.

Total cost was $200 for everything DS & SYE Kit

Ordering:

Performance Off Road Center is awesome to deal with. They have an exceptional deal on the SYE kit, $169 SHIPPED. Shipping was very fast. Payment was secure. I called on a couple of occasions with some questions, and every person who answered the phone was very knowledgeable. S/He was able to immediately answer my questions in great detail. They clearly know the products they sell.

The Kit:

Absolute awesome quality. Everything you will need is included in the kit, the parts are all of the utmost craftsmanship. I think the Jeep will crumble to the ground before a single part of the kit fails. High quality bearing and seal. Heavy duty shaft and yoke. The kit should work just fine on any NP231 transfer case. There are accommodations for the vacuum switches on older ones, they include a plug for those who do not have the switch.

The Install:

Installation was very easy. No instructions were in the box, but you don't even need them! It is pretty straight forward what you need to do. I was able to sit up underneath the XJ to do all the work. There is really no point in removing the TC for the install, it is very easy to do with it on. There is nothing technical or precise about the install, it is just time consuming. So don't be intimidated. I went as slow as a snail because I was really in no hurry. In total, working slow, it took me maybe 6 hours. (I even split it over two days!) On a newer 231, it would have gone even faster.

SHIFTER LENGTH: On the older NP231, the shift rail is about 1.5" long, however the new tail housing will not accommodate this. It is very important to do this step properly. Some instructions I read said to cut it to exactly 1" inch however, this is not the case. If I cut it to 1", I would have been SOL. Measure the actual depth of the hole in the new tail-shaft. Mine was about 15/16th of an inch deep. I cut mine down using a 4.5" angle grinder to 7/8th inch. On mine, the vacuum switch needs to be used, so you need to make sure that that when in 4wd, the shift lever extends out far enough to engage the button on the switch, but not too long that it doesn't bottom out in the new tail-housing (this would prevent you from being able to shift into 4wd)

LOCK RING: On the old shaft, the very first lock ring that needed to be removed was impossible to do so even with the correct tool. The ring was cut reverse of how it should be, so you cannot grab it with lock-ring pliers. Others have run into this problem as well. You might get lucky with two screw drivers and prying it off, however, I gave up on that. Instead, just grab your angle grinder with a cutting wheel, and just cut the sucker off.

CAGED NEEDLE BEARINGS: Again, on the older NP231's, there are two caged needle bearings inside the cog wheel. (if you don't know what I am talking about, when you get to it/see it, it will all make sense) The newer shaft eliminates these bearings. You will need to press them out of your cog wheel and throw them away. Do not worry, pressing them out is easy. There are a couple difference methods suggested on various threads, but here is what I did and it was by far the easiest: Simply use a large socket (I think I used a 36mm or something), a hammer, and a Jeep wheel!. Remove the center cap on the wheel, place the cog over the hole (which is just big enough to let the bearings through, but hold the cog). Place your socket on the bearing, and pound away. Mine only took 5-10 good hits and they were both out.

TOOLS NEEDED:
Metric Sockets
3inch extension
3/8th Ratchet
1/2 Ratchet
15mm wrench
10mm 12pt socket
1 1/8th SAE socket
5/16th wrench
flat head screw driver
rubber mallet
lock ring pliers (and snap ring pliers on newer 231's)
channel locks or large crescent
gasket scraper
angle grinder w/cut off wheel (maybe dremel....but ughh)
Torque wrench (both low range and high range 15-25ft lbs needed and 150 ft/lbs)
Oil catch pan (for draining TC fluid
Oil/Fluid pump (for refilling TC)
Floor jack/jack stands

Materials Needed:

Shop rags
RTV (I used black)
2 quarts ATF (Dextron II/III)
Assembly lube
Front driveshaft (junkyard $30) from an automatic XJ. Good for anywhere from stock to 5 or 6 inches of lift. (the DS from a manual is about 1.5 inches shorter)
Metric 8 x 1.25 (about 16mm) bolt for speedometer gear hold down. (DO NOT USE OLD ONE, it is SAE and will strip out new tail housing.
Pack of cigarettes, pot of coffee

I think that pretty much covers everything. Feel free to ask any questions and I will explain further.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!

-RickyN29

PORC%2052231.jpg

hey, thanx for that little run through. I've got one of these kits sitting waiting to be installed.......only thing I need is time.

If you're in good shape, it should take maybe 4 hours max start to finish. I on the other hand, took forever. Constantly crawling out from underneath and getting to my feet took more time than the actual install!

First off......Great Quick Write up, and thanks for the compliments!

Although you said you didn't need them, I do apoligize for the lack of instructions in the box. All kits should come with the instructions for the install. If anyone else receives a sye kit without instructions just give the shop a call and we will get you the instruction sheets faxed over you to ASAP. Again, thanks for the good publicity, and your purchase, we really do appreciate it!

Brent
Performance Off Road Center.

RickyN29 said:
Metric 8 x 1.25 (about 16mm) bolt for speedometer gear hold down.

QUOTE]

Hmmm........Mine still sitting on the bench with the speedo gear out. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. I thought maybe the threads weren't tapped enough, I didn't force it but I don't have it in either. Thanks for the tidbit........and you are correct, I too am very happy with the kit.

You really didn't miss much without the instructions cause I read them once and never picked them up again 'cept for torque specs of the case bolts.

-Ron

Panthers65 said:
First off......Great Quick Write up, and thanks for the compliments!

Although you said you didn't need them, I do apoligize for the lack of instructions in the box. All kits should come with the instructions for the install. If anyone else receives a sye kit without instructions just give the shop a call and we will get you the instruction sheets faxed over you to ASAP. Again, thanks for the good publicity, and your purchase, we really do appreciate it!

Brent
Performance Off Road Center.

Whoa, I never knew you guys were on the forum!!! Cool! Well I get to say it directly now, THANK YOU!!! Top notch business.

Oh oh, wait, I do have a complaint!!!!! :-D
The FedEx package required an adult, 18+, to be present, with identification, in order to deliver. FedEx comes when I am away at work, I missed them every time. They said they couldn't do anything about it, wouldn't let me pick it up at their facility, said they had to return it to shipper. I bickered and bickered with them, and they made a special trip to my house at 9pm so I could be there to sign!!!

When it said 18+ only, I thought you guys included some adult toys or something with it :p

Naw, you guys did fine, FedEx just sucks. :)

------------------------------------------------------

ROAD TEST RESULTS:

I finally got to take her out for a spin today. The difference is incredible. Quite honestly, I attributed most of my vibrations to wheel balance, large mud tires, etc. I never drove over 65 because it just didn't feel right. Now, with the SYE installed, it feels like a dream. Vibrations are gone, ride is smooth, and 70+ mph felt like butter.

I am sure it will get even better because I still need to rotate my pinion up 6 degrees.

Ha. Don't blame FedEx. The sender specifies whether they require an adult signature. So in this case, PORC paid a bit more and requested an adult signature.

My PORC SYE was missing some pieces, but Alex was very quick to send them out to me.

wow! thanks for writing that up! As my late year build '96 sport (read-good bet for vibes w/ a lift) sits in a million pieces in my garage, (rear main, oil pump job...) I am wanting to at least put 2 inch spacers and AAL or shackles since I need new tires anyway, but didn't want to deal w/ vibes or needing $600 for a sye and custom driveshaft. At 2" of lift, would I be better off with using a front DS from a manual, as you said it was a bit shorter?

Oh, and pics...?

jmeloxj said:
how much for a sye and front ds shipped to 27858
Hahaha, no no man. The driveshaft you have to obtain yourself. You do not order with any kit. You can get an aftermarket shaft, but that will be big bucks. Just go to your local Pick n Pull (self dismantler) and pull a front driveshaft from an XJ with the AW4. Should cost you $30-80 depending on their prices. Make sure you bring a 5/16th closed end wrench with you as it will be needed for the bolts on the double CV.

Then you order from PORC (http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/) In my case, I mentioned the Pirate4x4.com FREE SHIPPING DEAL (I'm also a member over there) and it came to $169.99 shipped.

citRon said:
wow! thanks for writing that up! As my late year build '96 sport (read-good bet for vibes w/ a lift) sits in a million pieces in my garage, (rear main, oil pump job...) I am wanting to at least put 2 inch spacers and AAL or shackles since I need new tires anyway, but didn't want to deal w/ vibes or needing $600 for a sye and custom driveshaft. At 2" of lift, would I be better off with using a front DS from a manual, as you said it was a bit shorter?

Oh, and pics...?
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. There are other writeups that have some though. It is so straightforward, pictures wouldn't really do much.

Most likely, a BB won't cause any vibes, but for the price, I recommend installing a SYE with any lift.

As for the driveshaft, either one should work with your lift. The shaft from a manual will be extended alot, the shaft from an auto will be compressed alot. Either way. Best bet is to take a measure. The Auto is about 34.5 inches full extended. The Manual is about 33 inches fully extended.

i know this thread is old and I'm sorry but no one seems to want to answer my question anywhere else.

with the PORC Sye kit, did you need anything else in the form of an adapter flange or what-have-you to bolt up a front DS? I'm on the verge of clicking "checkout" right now but want to make sure my arse is covered.

RickyN29 said:
Front driveshaft (junkyard $30) from an automatic XJ. Good for anywhere from stock to 5 or 6 inches of lift. (the DS from a manual is about 1.5 inches shorter)

a front DS from a manual XJ is about 3" shorter than one from an automatic and will not work - and if you have a manual, you will not be able to use a front driveshaft from any XJ in the rear of your xj...

just thought id point that out... :geek:

bcsavage said:
i know this thread is old and I'm sorry but no one seems to want to answer my question anywhere else.

with the PORC Sye kit, did you need anything else in the form of an adapter flange or what-have-you to bolt up a front DS? I'm on the verge of clicking "checkout" right now but want to make sure my arse is covered.

nope. the kit comes with a 32 spline 1310 CV yoke that will bolt right up to a front DS from an automatic... just need 4 bolts...

good to know, sure I can salvage the bolts from the donor XJ or whatever.

forgot to mention, I'm driving on an AW4/NP231/D35 setup, and have heard sooooo many "no it won't" "yes it will" arguments about running a front DS with this combination that I'm at my wits end. But this rhythmic vibration isn't pleasant either so it's gots ta go :p

Sorry for the ignorance but this is the first I've heard of this, I have a 93 ho auto, does this mean I can get the PORC sye kit and use an xj FRONT ds to replace the rear? Never heard of that. Please explain what you meant by "sye and ds" kit, I didn't know you had to do anything with the front ds when you put on a sye, does someone have the patience to explain this to me, very interesting.

they are talking about using a front drive shaft (DS) out of a automatic XJ in the rear (instead of paying for a custom rear CV shaft $$$$).

This works after you install a slip yoke eliminater (SYE)...

SYE and DS are not a kit but once you go the pick and pull...you'll have your own kit....

It sounds like the PORC is set up just like the Advanced Adapters (which I used.) Lucky for me, my late '96 didn't have needle bearings, the vacuum switch, or the too-long shift rail. My SYE install would have been very quick if we hadn't discovered that we'd forgotten to install the mode spring on the shift rail after we'd put the transfer case back together.

Back