• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping in the front...

it turned out to be something so incredibly simple.

don't know if this is the cause of your pop, but check it out.

Incredibly simple would be great! I'm going to replace the tranny mount as insurance, but I don't think it's the current problem now that I've spotted this play in the wheel/tire.

Anybody have any feedback on my hypothesis two posts above? Am I on the right track?

OK, I finally decided to stop talking and actually jack it up and start yankin' on stuff. I pulled/kicked on the drivers' side wheel/tire in every direction possible and couldn't get any noise out of the controls arms or ball joints. Also no wheel bearing play noted.

Then I had my darling wife hold the brakes while I tried to turn the wheel and THERE IT WAS!!!!!party1: It's the brake pads shifting around hitting the caliper bracket/knuckle. Note that they are brand new Duralast Gold pads from AZ with new calipers, but the old pads made the exact same noise so I don't blame AZ. Is there some way to shim the top/bottom of the pads where they contact the caliper bracket/knuckle? I am so close to success!!!!! Please help!!! Thanks!!!

So, XJ Stryker came over to help and long story short, the brakes didn't have enough slack to make the noise I was hearing. I laid all the way under the axle while he moved the jeep around (my wife was too scared for that) which revealed the main problem...bushings shot on nearly brand new RE LCAs. RE is sending new bushings on their dime supposedly from a new supplier.

Thanks again Stryker for helpin' a guy out. I owe ya :thumbup:

So, XJ Stryker came over to help and long story short, the brakes didn't have enough slack to make the noise I was hearing. I laid all the way under the axle while he moved the jeep around (my wife was too scared for that) which revealed the main problem...bushings shot on nearly brand new RE LCAs. RE is sending new bushings on their dime supposedly from a new supplier.

Thanks again Stryker for helpin' a guy out. I owe ya :thumbup:

I have this same problem, I'm sitting on RE 4.5 SF. What were you doing when you determined it was the LCA bushing? Is it the rubber bushing or there "super flex joint"? I have been getting the "POP" more and more.

Who did you contact at RE or was Full Size XJ able to help you?
Thanks alot, Mat :peace:

What were you doing when you determined it was the LCA bushing? Is it the rubber bushing or there "super flex joint"? I have been getting the "POP" more and more.

Who did you contact at RE or was Full Size XJ able to help you?

It's the rubber bushing, not the SF joint. I laid underneath, but you can probably see it from the side. Have someone put it in R and have them slowly inch backwards going on and off the brakes repeatedly. I could see that end of the arm moving, but the bolt and bracket were stationary. Also, the whole axle/wheel twitched a little bit, obviously since the arm is supposed to hold all of the axle in place.

I bought my RE kit from DPG offroad and he ran interference with RE for me. But I gathered that I was not the only one, so I would call up RE, especially if you haven't had yours for long.

Eric

I think I installed my lift in early march. Its gotta be the same problem. If I back into my drive way (witch is uphill), I can hit the brakes and as soon as I let off "POP". This will do it every time. I've just noticed it randomly poping whenever.

Im glad I found your thread! I've done just about every thong you did, brakes, track bar bushing, tighten every bolt again. Went out last night after talking to you. I checked and sure enough there it was, bad bushing. I contacted fullsizexj and hes taking care of me. Hopefuly then new supplier dont let us down :gee:. Much thanks to you (96 XJ Sport) and jullsizexj.

Mat

Good deal :thumbup: Funny, I'm going wheelin tomorrow in a group with fullsizexj, so I'll mention it to him. I don't have my new bushings yet, but I figure all I can do is wear these out a little worse, lol.

As if I had any doubt, here's the proof...

005-Copy3.jpg

Got the new bushings in and all is good.

When you install the new bushings, don't torque them down until you have weight on suspension.

I can't believe you said that! I had a mystery front pop and couldn't figure it out. I was positive it was driveline, but had a dude inspect it and it was my sway bar! It didn't make sense because it was at random times when i turned left. Upon further inspection, i could see the top of the link dug into my body something terrible. Looks like a new swaybar is in the works.

Back