• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poping noise when in 4hi & turning

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this just started after I put on 31s. In 2wd it is totally fine. At speed in 4hi I can't hear it. But at speeds slower then 10mph if I turn there is a clicking or poping noise. What can it be.

I did search and every one that had the issue had different circumstances so I wasn't sure if my issue was the same.

What wheels are you running? Your tires might be rubbing on the control arms if you are running stock wheels.

what you're turning on? pavement???? you're not suppose to turn on a high traction surface in 4wd

Not rubbing control arms I know what that sounds like. I was on a mixture of paved roads and graveled roads.

So this clicking shouls not happen on dirt or mud or snow basically completely off road

what you're turning on? pavement???? you're not suppose to turn on a high traction surface in 4wd

What, like on rocks? :D

Ok so this just started after I put on 31s. In 2wd it is totally fine. At speed in 4hi I can't hear it. But at speeds slower then 10mph if I turn there is a clicking or poping noise. What can it be.

I did search and every one that had the issue had different circumstances so I wasn't sure if my issue was the same.

It can be a number of things, and it would help to know how loud it is and exactly what surface you're on when it does it. If it's a click click sound when turning check out the front axle u-joints. If it's a louder popping noise when turning on a harder surface then the t-case chain could be stretched and it's jumping teeth (this can be loud). If it does it under a load, like in a bind turning but mostly going up hill and it's a slight clicking/popping noise it could be the double carden joint on the front driveline.

Thanks...

It comes from the front near wheels. It started on pavement. Never had a chance to check off road. It sounds like something metal is hitting something as I roll foward in 4hi while turning. It doesn't happen at all in 2wd and while on a farm road (hard compacted dirt) it won't do it in 4 hi.

mine did that for 2 months. i couldnt find the problem, until i decided to replace a ujoint. Turnes out the double cardan joint is bad. there is a seperate joint between the 2 u joints and that is going out on mine. I repacked it full of grease, and it's quieter, but i still need to rebuild it.

Pull the drive shaft, and check that inner joint. I bet the cup is wasted like mine. I'm in no hurry to fix it now, since i have 2 new ujoints in there, but it's gonna need work eventually.

Mine did that.. I thought it came from the front but it was my Chain slipping in my t-case... Now my front wheels don't spin even when no pressure is applied. And the t-case only slips when there is pressure. Like going up hill. I have multiple things wrong with my 4wd. Chain slipping in my t-case and for some reason front d/s turns but front wheels don't. Havn't had time to look at it yet.

ok so i was off the beaten path. in some gravel some mud some grass. i had to take several turns. a couple 3 point turns. i was in 4 hi the whole time and no issues.

so could the noise have been because i was on a road with to much traction. if so what was that noise.

my XJ did this today for the first time on dry hard dirt. my buddy said it looked like my t case was jumping or popping. very loud and you could almost feel it inside in the drivers seat in 4hi and 4lo turning at less than 2mph. Cardon joint? or chain slipping? I just replaced the front axle u joints (CV joints or whatever) not long ago (like a month or 2 ago) and have only wheeled it once with no problems since then. HOWEVER , I did shim the lower control arms since the last time I wheeled it with no problems.

First, since you aren't suppose to use 4wd on hard surfaces why are you?
Second, it could be any number of things, axle u joints, drive shaft u joints, transfer case, ball joints, hubs, anything that has to do with the front axle, the 4wd system, or steering.
Make a list from the easiest to the hardest to check, and check one at a time until you find out what was causing the sound or you know it is all ok.
Then don't drive in 4wd until you need 4wd.

..... it looked like my t case was jumping or popping. very loud and you could almost feel it inside in the drivers seat in 4hi and 4lo turning at less than 2mph. ....

Bad u-joints or a slipping T-case chain.

First, since you aren't suppose to use 4wd on hard surfaces why are you?
Second, it could be any number of things, axle u joints, drive shaft u joints, transfer case, ball joints, hubs, anything that has to do with the front axle, the 4wd system, or steering.
Make a list from the easiest to the hardest to check, and check one at a time until you find out what was causing the sound or you know it is all ok.
Then don't drive in 4wd until you need 4wd.

Bad u-joints or a slipping T-case chain.
droped the front drive shaft, 4hi and 4lo, no noise. Iam pretty sure my ball joints are good, my TRE's need to be replaced soon, my axle u joints are brand new. the front drive shaft u joints dont look that great and I didnt realize the front drive shaft slides or extends until I went to remove it :twak:

It would be really hard for the suspension to work at all if the drive shaft didn't slide in and out, sort of need that movement in the drive shaft if the wheels move up and down.

It would be really hard for the suspension to work at all if the drive shaft didn't slide in and out, sort of need that movement in the drive shaft if the wheels move up and down.
i know :twak:

You sure you didn't break Ujoints? Did you grab the joints and try to wiggle them? If you made a tight Kturn in 4hi I would bet anything that Ujoints are your problem.
no it was a very very gradual turn just enough to see the edges of the tires outside the fenders from the drivers seat. no play in the axle u joints. a little play in the front drive shaft u joints so autozone sold me 3 new u joints just havent put them in and put the shaft back in yet..... seemed like I got better gas milage today with the from driveshaft out

Did the popping noise go away? If the DS is out and its still there,well...well it's not that haha

Oh, or is it only in 4hi that it pops. In that case you might be looking at T-case slip if it isn't the u-joints.

Back