• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor Gas Mileage, Sputtery idle.

jeephick85 said:
OK just changed the TPS its not zero in yet, now what exactly am I looking for number wise when I adjust it. Right now its on seems to be shifting better but it still has a choppy idle.

Use the square connector, A is the ECU 5 volt input, B is the TPS return output to the TCU. D is the ground wire. With all power off, D should read less than 1 ohm to the negative battery post, ground. If greater than 1 ohm fix thwe bad ground wire conection, or clean the ground contact areas and run new ground wires. Then the B return wire when the TPS is connected to the wiring harness and with the power, ignition switch on, engine off, do not start it, test the return voltage (B to D) on the TPS, it should read 83% of the TCU input voltage (A to D), if not loosen the TPS mounting screws and rotate it until you get 83%.

As from last night I have decided to change the ground wires and run new ones everywhere due to fact there was a small fluctuation in the round signal from various spots. Going to try and get the new TPS adjusted properly today. LET me have any advice!! Jamie

jeephick85 said:
I checked the reading for A to D with the ignition on and I'm getting 2.5 volts. As for the ohms I'm not really sure how to read my needle on this old meter. jamie

OK, that 2.5 volts should be 5 volts, so now you get to trace that A wire back to the TCU (Transmission computer) to see where it is losing voltage. If you will search and read the transmission computer threads here for pin out data * on the TCU itself, and for its location, you should start at the TCU to see if it is supplying 5 volts. *I know its posted in several threads by me and others this past year already.

Never mind, found it, it's D1, a red wire is the 5 volt supply to the TPS!

Ok perfect ill check it out tonight, its running alot better, shifts better, accelerates better but I'm leaking around the manifold and being a one piece seal with the intake I think it might be playing games around there so im gonna change it tomorrow night. As for the catalyser should i put one back on, i took it off initially cause i hit a rock and it busted up the ceramic and jammed up my tail pipe, so will it run more efficient with catalyser? thanks, Jamie

Back