• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plugs Poll

What spark plugs

• Champions

Votes: 101 47.9%
  • Champion Trucks

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • P2, P4's

Votes: 34 16.1%
  • Iridiums

Votes: 11 5.2%

• Total voters
Exactly as i described, Tirod knows what i mean, only the bosch standard platinums do this (the center electrode is way too small and burns down causing increased plug gap in very short order) not the plus 4's As far as late models need for a platinum plug i seriously doubt it. They just last longer and people dont always service vehicles as they should these days.........

I had an 88 and I started with the champion plugs. Then I went to splitfire, waste of money, didn't make a difference at all. So I went to the Bosch +4, and it deffinately started better but not too much of a difference after that, maybe ran a little smoother but that could just be me. I now have a 99 and the first thing I did was change the plugs to the +4s. It can get cold here so better starts are important to me.

The only way to go with any vehicle is dealer plugs. Champion for Chrysler, AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, etc... This has to do with the heat range of the plug, aftermarket plugs like autolite are made so that a certain part number will fit many engines, it could be too cold a plug on one and too hot a plug for another application, or you could get lucky and it be perfect. The dealer plugs are more specific and it will be exactly the right plug instead of taking a gamble with aftermarket. By the way I have heard that Fords are the most picky about this and you should expect trouble if you use anything besides motorcraft with them.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
The only way to go with any vehicle is dealer plugs. Champion for Chrysler, AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, etc... This has to do with the heat range of the plug, aftermarket plugs like autolite are made so that a certain part number will fit many engines, it could be too cold a plug on one and too hot a plug for another application, or you could get lucky and it be perfect. The dealer plugs are more specific and it will be exactly the right plug instead of taking a gamble with aftermarket. By the way I have heard that Fords are the most picky about this and you should expect trouble if you use anything besides motorcraft with them.
As i stated use the ones it was engineered for and yes espesially in a turbo ford running 18lb boost he he ........

majic_tech said:
Anti seize is advised for aluminum heads but not a necessity on cast iron

I've been using anti-seize for years and just recently I was told that the plug
manufacturers are against it.
I plan to keep using it.

2000 Limited, 4.0, NP242, needs to see more dirt, ran over a squirrel on the way home from work today.

I've been running the Champion truck plugs for about the last nine months or so and can't say that I notice a damn bit of difference between them and the Autolites they replaced apart from that my wallet's now marginally lighter. This has been over about 18000 miles or so; when I change them out in another couple of thousand miles I'm going back to the Bosch Platinum +2s. Ran great in my '01 Sport, noticeably better than the stock NGKs. YMMV.

casm said:
2000 Limited, 4.0, NP242, needs to see more dirt, ran over a squirrel on the way home from work today.

I've been running the Champion truck plugs for about the last nine months or so and can't say that I notice a damn bit of difference between them and the Autolites they replaced apart from that my wallet's now marginally lighter. This has been over about 18000 miles or so; when I change them out in another couple of thousand miles I'm going back to the Bosch Platinum +2s. Ran great in my '01 Sport, noticeably better than the stock NGKs. YMMV.

I tried platinums in the past both in a Jeep and others with poor results.
It seems that some engines like them some don't. Next time I'll try the +2.

96 Sport, 4.0, NP242. killed a dove once no squirrels. :)

Is this thread still going? hahaha :)

I'm sure I mentioned it above, but I own a repair shop, have for 10 years. We install lots of spark plugs. Anti-seize goes on EVERY spark plug. Zero problems. And I still stand by my original opinion, in these engines, the stock Champions work best. hasta

The major advantage to a platinum (or double platinum) plug is they last longer, so they don't have to be changed as often. Whenever we're putting plugs in a DIFFICULT vehicle (awd aerostar, northstar cad., etc) they ALWAYS get double platinum's. The 4.0 is EASY, I save the money and put standard plugs in.

John

Avanteone said:
I'm sure I mentioned it above, but I own a repair shop, have for 10 years. We install lots of spark plugs. Anti-seize goes on EVERY spark plug. Zero problems. And I still stand by my original opinion, in these engines, the stock Champions work best. hasta
John

I decided to get it straight from the horse's mouth, I called Champion Tech.
I was told that some Champions have a coating that needs no anti seize and some don't. To be on the safe side use just a little.

What tickles me..."NGK...import wannabe's" 'fraid not....one of the best plug makers....I run standard NGKs in my dragbike...12k rpm....100hp nitrous shot...no missfire probs.

Multi ground electrode plugs, dont care what brand...can you say shrouding?? They are bling to attract customers.

Neverseize on plugs...fine on street driven cars....can be a problem on very high hp engines...the neverseize "can" cause the plugs to run hot because the heat path between plug and head is impeded. But we are talking about engines that run very high boost or nitrous loads.

No plug is pregapped. The gap may be in the general range..but that ain't the same thing. BTW...glug gap should be checked with a wire gauge...not a flat gauge.

My pick for brand...NGK/Denso (same plug)...Autolite (excellent plug)...Champion...ok plug...if the lot you get them from had decent quality control.

Back