• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug welds...

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so when welding plating to the unibody, frame stifiners, body armor, steering box bracing, etc. what size holes do you put in for the plug welds? I have used .50 in the past but it seems too small some times. I was thinking more on the lines of .75 but have also considered 1" too.

I used 5/8ths on the frame plates. 1/2 on the steering box brace. depends on the spacing between the rosettes.

DaffyXJ said:
I used 5/8ths on the frame plates. 1/2 on the steering box brace. depends on the spacing between the rosettes.

How much spacing did you use between them on the steering box brace?

I think it has most to do with you being comfortable that you're getting good weld penetration in the hole. I think 1/2" is fine.

As long as your not compromising the strength of the re-inforcement, larger is bettter(more surface area),I'll use this as a possible example of a weld on bumper plate!Easier to do a "controlled" weld also.
wb1.jpg

RCP Phx said:
As long as your not compromising the strength of the re-inforcement, larger is bettter(more surface area),I'll use this as a possible example of a weld on bumper plate!Easier to do a "controlled" weld also.
wb1.jpg

What size are those holes? MAN, they are huge. Any shots of them welded up?

Ghost said:
What size are those holes? MAN, they are huge. Any shots of them welded up?
Anywhere from 3/4" to 1-1/2",but these are my "bolt-on" bumper brackets!

RCP Phx said:
Anywhere from 3/4" to 1-1/2",but these are my "bolt-on" bumper brackets!

Oh so those are for weight saving?

It also depends on the thickness of the material you're plating with.

The holes in the frame plates I got from TMR are pretty large, but these get rosette welded, which is different than a plug...

DSC02771.JPG

vetteboy said:
It also depends on the thickness of the material you're plating with.

The holes in the frame plates I got from TMR are pretty large, but these get rosette welded, which is different than a plug...

DSC02771.JPG
This is .25 I'm going to weld on the inside and botom and outside of frame rail where the steering box mounts.

vetteboy said:

DSC02771.JPG

Hmm, I thougth they were the same. What is the difference?

I think you may be right - what I was thinking of was the difference between filling the hole completely (as you'd do with a 1/2" hole) vs. welding the perimeter of the hole (as on the frame plates I posted).

we used .5 on mine last month, they weren't too bad. Sucked with flux core though.

given that the majority of the XJ body is spot welded together...

I think 3/8" is more than adiquite... and just about the right size for a mig welder...

good reading in this thread - particularly by Captain Ron -
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=932148

Back