• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help my turn signal arent working

My flashers don't work either. I'll snag a flasher thing and see if that helps. Would there be a separate flasher for the front and back? I'm confused on how the back works and front doesn't. I have two of those silver round things in the fuse box.

My flashers don't work either. I'll snag a flasher thing and see if that helps. Would there be a separate flasher for the front and back? I'm confused on how the back works and front doesn't. I have two of those silver round things in the fuse box.

No, one flasher for the turn signals.

Remove the offending bulb. Visually inspect it. You can test it by supplying voltage to the bottom contact(s) and providing a ground to the metal body. If the bulbs are not good, replace them. If the bulbs are good, take your multimeter (you do own a multimeter don't you--if you don't you are required to sell the XJ) and test the offending bulb socket for power and ground. Use volts to test for power, use ohms to test for the ground. If power or ground is not present, test backwards towards the switch until you find the problem.

Just kidding, sort of, about the multimeter.

what, do you mean test the curcuit? dont you just swap in new electrical parts until you get the right one?:huh:

:roflmao: Exactly!

but my headlights dont work what do i need to fix

You have the wiring diagrams. You have a voltmeter. Test for current going in to the headlight switch. If no voltage, proceed testing backward towards the battery. If you get voltage going in to the switch, turn it on and check for voltage going out. If you get voltage going out, switch is good. Proceed to test at the headlight plug. If no voltage there, you know the problem is between the plug and the switch somewhere in the wiring.

Same process as when you traced out your wiper problem.:read:

ok guys sorry for the confusion according to the picture at the top provided by hubs97xj
my headilights work fine (RED) i pull the switch out and my lights come on headlights that is but my headlights are new and not bright enough so when its dark i need high beems thats what im having trouble with (blue).

the thing is i switched from my original column so im not sure when i wrote that back in april whether i had the old column or the one i got to replace it.
If the high beam switch is bad i cant replace that can i? I would only be able to get a new column right? Well thats my fear anyway i dont wanna have to replace my column to fix my high beams!!!

and to winterbeater i moved to PA man i left alot of my info and its harder for me to get online now i dont have my computer up and online yet so i dont have the FSM i saved.

it works good now but my headlights still dont come on

but my headlights dont work what do i need to fix

when i pull them back nothing happens

my headilights work fine (RED) i pull the switch out and my lights come on headlights that is but my headlights are new and not bright enough so when its dark i need high beems thats what im having trouble with (blue).

:dunno: You do not need to replace the steering column to get a new switch. More importantly, do your lights work, or not?

you could replace the multi-function switch (turn signals, hi-lo beams) and not change the whole column.

XJs have crummy headlight wiring and the lights are dim to start with. BUT, you need to figure out why you don't have high beams--if I am understanding you fully. Fix the non-functioning part first, then upgrade. You can get a cheapo Chinese headlight harness upgrade on eBay, but if you do that first and things aren't working right you won't know if it was the upgrade or still the same problem.

There is a three wire connector on the back of each headlamp. They corrode. Pull the connectors, clean the connectors and the spades on the rear of the headlamps. While there, test the female connectors that you pulled from the headlamps. Each has three wires. One is a ground, test it with an ohm meter. The other two are Hi and Lo beams, test them with a voltmeter. Fix what is missing, working back from the headlamps. Once you have Hi and Lo lamps working, then consider a harness upgrade at that time.

Also, are you absolutely certain that both lamps are in fact functional?

on my 89, the high beams are operated by pulling the turn signal stalk back. this moves a linkage rod to the high beam switch. you need to test that the rod is engaging the switch and that the switch works. if you remove the cover for the stalk, you can see the rod and how it works.

the renix era xj uses a gm column so if you need info, google gm column.

Back